Gladiator Pop-Up Pass Through Camper Build

Mules

I rolled the tub of my CDN M101 Iltis trailer, and it worked amazingly well. The nice thing about spraying is you can get a lot of product out quickly and get-er-done. The nice thing about rolling it on, you can control and fine-tune the finish texture. I experimented with a few different rollers, and found that using a small high quality foam roller worked the best for the finer texture I was looking for. Some of the sprayed textures are a bit rough for my liking on the inside of an enclosed capped trailer, where I was going to be rubbing my knuckles all over it getting my stuff in and out.

I was VERY happy with my choice and the finish was really strong. I did my fenders as well and they still look good 8 years later. I sold it but have seen it a few times when I met the 3rd owner after me.

Roll on heavy > spread out evenly with roller > carefully back-roll and level until desired texture was reached.

View attachment 711841

View attachment 711842

View attachment 711843

View attachment 711844
My main hang up now is the color match. If my truck was black, white, or red I think Monstaliner would be great. Since I have a Metallic color I’m not sure if one of their 68 colors will pass my pickiness factor. I’ll see what the samples look like. Even if I don’t use it on the exterior, I might on the interior and the furniture.

The spray guns aren’t very expensive, so I might go that route, and thanks for the advice about texture difference between rolling and spraying.

CoyoteThistle

Adventurer
I don't know about Monstaliner, but Raptor Liner has a tintable version. You can go to an automotive paint store and give them the paint code of your truck and they will do an exact match. Not sure how the metallic part works though. I just did my camper in Raptor Liner and found spraying to be well worth the extra hassle after trying to roll it on.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Mike, saw your post on the Monsta FB feed.

I have a complete set of Monsta color samples you are welcome to.
I can send them your direction if interested.
Just mail them back when you have made your decision.

Mules

Mike, saw your post on the Monsta FB feed.

I have a complete set of Monsta color samples you are welcome to.
I can send them your direction if interested.
Just mail them back when you have made your decision.
Thanks IdaSHO, but my Monstaliner samples are already being sent to me. Appreciate the help though.

Mules

I don't know about Monstaliner, but Raptor Liner has a tintable version. You can go to an automotive paint store and give them the paint code of your truck and they will do an exact match. Not sure how the metallic part works though. I just did my camper in Raptor Liner and found spraying to be well worth the extra hassle after trying to roll it on.
Can we see a picture of Raptor Liner on your camper? I wonder what a custom Raptor Liner paint job would cost.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
I did my bed in Raptor, and camper is in Monsta

Both were sprayed, Raptor at a higher PSI as I wanted more of a fine texture.

Comparo below...

50039175267_1deb693c4b_h.jpg

Mules

Another one about bedlining the inside ceiling of a Jeep top. Looks pretty nice from the inside.

Last edited:

Mules

Time to black out the window border. Mark the border, cut the film off, and spray paint light coats on the border. Sounds easy enough, hope it works. Waiting for first coat to dry.

IMG_6347.JPGIMG_6350.JPGIMG_6352.JPGIMG_6354.JPGIMG_6357.JPG

Second coat

IMG_6359.JPG

Last edited:

Mules

C57F415E-5428-4522-BA80-550DD4596638.jpeg

I think it came out pretty good. Can't wait to see the hatchback put together. I still have to design the strut system for it.

Last edited:
Reactions: mog

Mules

Still need to clean off some smudges, but I think it turned out pretty nice. I have a thin scratch in the paint, but it looks like the bottom fiberglass edge conceals it. I used flat black which looks like gloss from the outside of the vehicle and flat from the inside. What do you think?

IMG_6366 2.JPGIMG_6367.JPGIMG_6368.JPG

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
Still need to clean off some smudges, but I think it turned out pretty nice. I have a thin scratch in the paint, but it looks like the bottom fiberglass edge conceals it. I used flat black which looks like gloss from the outside of the vehicle and flat from the inside. What do you think?
I can't find your 'products pages' so I can order a few of these? Very impressive, it looks like something that would come out of a specialty workshop in southern Germany or Switzerland.

Mules

I can't find your 'products pages' so I can order a few of these? Very impressive, it looks like something that would come out of a specialty workshop in southern Germany or Switzerland.
Thanks, don't know if I qualify as Swiss made, but I'll take it. I'll include a link to my products page in the next posting:).

I'm almost seeing the light at the end of the tunnel with this build. Spent all morning researching struts. They're on order.

IMG_6372.JPG

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3

Members online