GMT400 vs GMT800 Suburban

CRolandLJ

Adventurer
Good Morning All,

I'm in the fortunate situation of having just received a company vehicle and will be able to sell my commuter/work vehicle and get a more fun vehicle...AKA a vehicle where fuel mileage doesn't matter anymore. The proceeds from the sale of my Camry and the expendable funds I'm allocating should net me somewhere in the neighborhood of $10k and while I'd love to have a pickup (having had a pickup before this camry) it just doesn't seem like a truck that fits my needs (AKA a crew cab 1/2 ton or larger) that sells for around $10k (at least in Texas) is worth buying. They're all ragged out or super high mileage or just in some way undesirable.....but something that would similarly meet my needs - and in some ways be better for my family of 4 plus a dog - would be a suburban. We take several road trips a year and my pickup was great but we also tend to travel with family so a suburban may actually be better. From an offroad perspective either could meet my needs. You can find clean low-ish mile 4x4 suburbans for 10k a little easier.

All that said - I go back and forth on what kind of suburban. I have significant experience driving similar vehicles - my first vehicle was a GMT400 K1500 pickup and my mom had a GMT800 2wd suburban for years that became an extra car for my family over the years. I don't have a strong opinion about driving one or the other - I think both would suit my needs and I'd enjoy both similarly - but one thing I don't have is experience maintaining either with higher mileage, modifying them, etc. I also don't have experience with the 2500. I definitely wouldn't need a 2500 but i'll load up a 1500 and on occasion pull a big enough trailer where a 2500 would be nice so I'm not against the idea as long as the ride isn't punishing.

I'd LOVE to have a square body but I don't think I can sell my wife on that old of a vehicle being the family road trip machine.

I'd love to hear the pros and cons from all of the vast experience on this forum with each of those platforms, so learn me up.

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
CRolandLJ,

You have quite a dilemma on your hands. Both GMT400 and GMT800 platforms are stellar. I have owned both GMT400 K1500 with 6" lift and 35s and my current GMT800 K1500 3" body lift and 37s. I absolutely loved the 42.5gallon fuel tank and 650+ mile range the GMT400 had. My wife likes the newer and bubblier GMT800 truck better, however I am a little upset about the 450+ mile range due to the smaller 33.5 gallon fuel tank.

Both are amazing truck, both are easy to work on, both have pretty much the same dirt cheap parts that can be found anywhere. Sounds like your wife won't let you get the square body so the only options you are left with are: tailgate or rear barn doors and middle bench or captains chairs.

Once you do get one get a mild lift, 33s or 35s and if you plan any serious off road adventuring throw in a rear Detroit locker, there is nothing more that these truck need to get out and explore.

As far as higher mileage maintenance, I bought my '00 with 100k miles on it five years ago. First 100k miles only required oil changes. Last 70k miles needed approximately $1,000 in repairs of worn out parts and some prophylactic maintenance. I am not including the parts I broke from trail abuse.

Hope this helps, good luck.

CampStewart

Observer
I am not sure what series they are called but my 99 was a night and day advancement in every way over my square body and my 04 is surprising more competent than my 99. All are 3.4 ton. Whatever series the 04 is they are complete rust buckets compared to the earlier series. They are better in every other respect except as they become more sophisticated they have a lot more things to go wrong and it costs more to maintain them when they do. I also hate the climate control system on the 04 compared to the earlier ones. 3/4 ton are harder to find but much much improved with a load in them.

1stDeuce

Explorer
Having had a GMT400 truck and now a GMT800, I can tell you my experience is that the 800's have a more durable interior. My 400 broke door latches, switches, and had many rattles and squeaks. My 400 has broke nothing, and makes narry a sound over the rough.

If it was me, I'll look for a 2003-07 2500. The later years had a bit better interior, and the 2500 gets you a 6.0L engine instead of a 5.3L (8.1L optional for 2500, but a bit hard on gas...) and a much stronger (IE more durable) driveline. The downside against a 1500 is a bit rougher ride, but it's still quite a bit better than most 3/4 ton trucks.

The 800 will also get you rear disc brakes instead of drums, though the brakes on both my trucks lasted forever, so it's really not much of a concern. The 6.0L is good for 300k miles if it's had decent service. The trans will go just as far, so don't be afraid of a higher mileage truck if it's clean and you have some evidence that it was serviced well.

The though the body changed with the trucks in 2007, the GMT800 suburban 2500 chassis was actually carried up through GMT900 through 2013 with no changes. After 2013, there is no 2500 suburban. I don't care for the GMT900 interior, but the trucks are still solid. Probably out of your budget anyway.

Personally, I'm a GMC guy... In the later 800 trucks, the GMC retained the rounded down hood, which has much better visibility than the higher "avalanche" hood on the chevy trucks. If you really comb through the listings, you can even find Suburbans that don't have the huge front center console, and possibly a manual transfer case, but they're rare as hen's teeth...

Good luck in your quest!!!

Last edited:

lilkia

Having owned several gmt400s and gmt800s in both P/U and Burb/Hoe configurations and in both 1500 and 2500 I speak from experience when I say you cant go wrong with either if you look and wait for a nice clean one. Currently I own a 99 k2500 ccsb 5.7(350)/4l80e and a 01 k2500 Burb 8.1(496)/4l85e. They are both great platforms with the 800 being a little fancier inside. The 400 exterior looks better to me.

The 99 ccsb is pushing 300k (bought with 10k on it in '01) and with the exception of the intake gaskets and heater core to engine block hose quick release or general maintenance items (ie: plugs, filters, w/pump and such) has never had any drivetrain work. The engine and trans have been outstanding. I wish it had the big block (7.4) but the 5.7 has done everything I ever asked including towing 10k repeatedly through the Smokeys, Blue Ridge, and Appalachians. Its just slow going. I have had to replace a few things inside. Blower fan, lock actuators, a window regulator, window switch, 4x switch and the TCCM. All within the last 20-30k miles. Not bad for 290kish miles. The driver seat has a little tearing (leather) on the seams but the cushion is still solid. It does have some rust issues here and there but I lived in the snow belt when I bought it. Its going under the knife soon for a resto and repower (its my favorite truck ever).

The 01 8.1 burb is just powerful. You can feel it pulling from idle. I just picked it up 4k miles ago (only had 92k when I bought it) and Im getting the same milage (averaged) as my old 03 ccsb with the 6.0. So milage really isnt that big of a draw back. As far as towing goes the 8.1 is hands down better than the 5.3 or 6.0 no contest. I pulled the 27' walkaround (8500lbs) the other day and it was like it wasnt there. The 6.0 did it fine but you could feel it taking off and recovering on the ramp. The 8.1 pulled it up the ramp at idle in 4hi 1st gear. So far from the previous owners statement and records it has no repairs other than maintenance items and upgrades.

I have also owned a gmt400 1500 burb, a tahoe and two 1500 pickups all 4x4 with the 5.7s, a ccdually with the 7.4 and two other gmt800s, a 1500 5.3 tahoe, 2500 6.0 ccsb. I never had any major issues with any of them but they were all under 150k miles.

I will add the 5.3 is a gutless turd in my opinion and unless youre hauling or towing less than 3000lbs of gear and people on flat land or using it as a soccer mom mobile it isnt worth it in a burb. The 6.0 is a great engine but doesnt get much better milage then the 8.1.(compared to my last truck) Loaded with gear or towing the 8.1 does a little better mpg wise and a lot better power wise. Normal everyday driving with the 6.0 will average 1-2 mpgs (12-14) better than the 8.1 (11-13) from my experience. The 7.4 has gobs of power also, but my average mpgs were just a bit less (10-11) than the 8.1, but it was a dually and older vortec design so that would account for the discrepancy. Towing with either big block didnt change it much unless you were towing really heavy or lots of big hills.

If you are going to be loaded with family, gear, and a trailer I would definately go with the 2500. Either flavor is great 400 or 800 (400 looks better). Also the suspension, brakes, bearings, and steering parts, and transmission (4l80/85e vs 4l60e) are much stronger and will last longer on the 2500. The 2500 brakes are good, no need to swap to gmt900 like the 1500s. The 400 2500 has drums in the back but they are massive and almost as good as the rear discs on the 800. The 2500s are a bit heavier than the 1500s but not much. The 2500 burb with the 8.1 (heaviest) is only 600lbs heavier than the lightest 1500 burb with a 5.3 (only gmt800 1500 option till 2006). Not much different considering the much larger cargo and towing capacity.

The earlier 800s 2001-02 have less electronic problems but the latter 03-06 have more electronic options (and failures). The gmt400s have very few common electronic issues. Window switches, regulators, lock actuators, blower motors go bad with age but are cheap and simple to fix. HVAC blend doors have been known to go bad and can be a pain but Ive heard 800s have the same issue.

I spent a long while trying to find my burb. But I wanted several things, barn doors, cloth interior, low miles, and a big block. I saw a bunch of burbs of both gens that will fit your needs in the 2500 model under your budget. Several really nice gmt400 barn doors with a 7.4 that I could kick myself for passing up for the money (<6k) with under 140k. Thats another thing the 2500s are easily 300k mile vehicles with just basic maintenance. At 100k on a 1500 youre replacing all the suspension bits, ball joints, bearings and bushings. By 150k your springs are sagging. Use search tempest and youll find what youre looking for.

PS lots of 2500 burbs in TX. Most have a liftgate but a lot of options up north around houston and dallas.

Last edited:

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I actually prefer the lift/drop gate of the 400 over the one piece lift gate of the 800. I miss having a tailgate to sit on or use as a table or platform.

I know the soccer moms complained about having to drop and then lift the tailgate but IMO it's the best option. Barn doors look salty but unless you're using it for work I think the lift/drop gate is the better option.

lilkia

I dont like the tailgates. I prefer to be able to reach the back of the second row seats without having to climb up into the truck. The liftgates can be head knockers when youre over 6' and tend to fall when its cold. Plus my wife is only 5' she has issues reaching the liftgate. They are better if planning to have a swing out tire carrier on the 800 since the barn doors hinge out so far.

Fierokid

I love my 02 2500 burb. It's got a supercharged 8.1L and with the charger it's almost too powerful for what I use it for regularly. But it's a tank. I've had 12-13K (ccsb duramax on a heavy overbuilt equipment trailer) behind it no problem power wise or handling wise. I typically tow about 8-9K 27ft up into the uintahs with with wife+3kids+2 dogs and it handles it with ease. I don't notice it behind me through the curves. I also use the burb for hunting up there and it hasn't gotten stuck on anything I've put it on yet. Wet slimy hills, huge rocks, airborne once or twice even. I have no complaints from the suspension/drivetrain aside from a random misfire I'm fighting it's been great. Only thing is there's not much documentation on the 8.1L as far as issues so it's been a little difficult with diagnosing that issue. I upgraded from a 91K1500 350/5spd. I loved that truck too, she did great handled 3300lbs of stump in the bed once (short drive) but for actual towing she needed some more weight to her I think. I got pushed around by a few smaller trailers before but I just had to slow down and take it easy..

I think you can't really go wrong with either generation as long as they have been maintained decently OR you realize that it wasn't maintained and are willing to put effort into bringing it back up to par. You get a little tougher styling with the 400, but the 800 has a more refined/updated interior and powertrain.

If you do go with an 800 I would shy away from a 5.3l with the 4l60. I had a coworker who had to have his replaced a few times on his trail blazer (lighter vehicle). The GMC yukon/yukon xl Denali edition and the escalades both had the 6.0 with the 4l65 (a little updated/stronger 4l60) but same suspension and everything else.

lilkia

CRoland you mentioned ride and I forgot to cover it. The 2500 is a little stiffer unloaded especially with the stock 245/75 e rated tires. It has front torsion bars and leaf springs in the back. But its not bad, my wife prefers riding in it because of the ride and the seats over my 5 series. Throw a set of 285/75s (which fit with no lift) and they soak up a little more due to the taller sidewalls. Load it up and throw a trailer behind it and it rides like a good solid sedan.

The 1500s are smoother with coil springs unloaded or with just the family. Load them up and throw a trailer behind it and theyre a bit to soft and swishy for my taste. The 2500 burb will ride similar to your old gmt400 k1500 pickup.

I paid a good bit over average for any year gmt800 for mine because of the condition, maitenance and miles. Meaning I could have bought any model gmt800 for the price and I went with the 2500 because of what I want to be able to do with it without dumping money into trying to make it a 2500. The 1500s on here all seem to need brake upgrades, swapped to a 14b rear, trans, oil and steering coolers added, and lifts to run 33" tires. The 2500 has all that stock. And you dont have to worry about burning up the trans.

CRolandLJ

Adventurer
Not sure of your location but this would be tough to pass up https://www.ksl.com/auto/listing/5278228?ad_cid=5
Wow that is nice....Utah would be a bit of a drive from DFW, TX though. It will probably be gone before I'd have time to arrange a trip up.

Thanks all for the input. I'm leaning towards a 2500 at this point, a GMT800 2500 with an 8.1 was already near the top of my list prior to lilkia's input but they are tough to come by. The 6.0 is obviously way more common.

Is there a more "comfortable" shock option you can throw on the back of a 2500 to make it a little more forgiving while unloaded? I'll be doing plenty of driving with just a few things around town...or solo hunting trips with just me and some stuff and a dog. I'd prefer not to be rattled to death on those trips.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Wow that is nice....Utah would be a bit of a drive from DFW, TX though. It will probably be gone before I'd have time to arrange a trip up.

Thanks all for the input. I'm leaning towards a 2500 at this point, a GMT800 2500 with an 8.1 was already near the top of my list prior to lilkia's input but they are tough to come by. The 6.0 is obviously way more common.

Is there a more "comfortable" shock option you can throw on the back of a 2500 to make it a little more forgiving while unloaded? I'll be doing plenty of driving with just a few things around town...or solo hunting trips with just me and some stuff and a dog. I'd prefer not to be rattled to death on those trips.

Just be aware that the ratio of 2500s to 1500's dropped significantly from the GMT-400's to the GMT-800's. IOW, much, much easier to find a 2500 GMT 400 than an 800. I'd estimate that for every GMT-800 2500 on the market there are at least two dozen 1500's. So if you are set on a 2500 you may have a long search ahead of you.

CRolandLJ

Adventurer
Just be aware that the ratio of 2500s to 1500's dropped significantly from the GMT-400's to the GMT-800's. IOW, much, much easier to find a 2500 GMT 400 than an 800. I'd estimate that for every GMT-800 2500 on the market there are at least two dozen 1500's. So if you are set on a 2500 you may have a long search ahead of you.

ahhhh yes. I am acutely aware of how hard they can be to find. I spend way too much time on autotempest, craigslist, etc.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Either way they'll be a good vehicle for the most part. I've had a GMT400 - '99 Yukon, a GMT 800 (2000) Suburban and (2003) Yukon Denali and a GMT 900 (2009) Suburban. They were all good vehicles. Drive a few and see which you like best. Personally I thought the leather buckets in the GMT 800 Yukon Denali were some of the most comfy I have been in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater