Good food, Good drink, and Good friends

Waytec

Adventurer
This past weekend some friends an I headed out and random camped south of Rock Mountain House. and ran one of the many trails in that aria.
We loved it, about 6 Km off the road, we only had one side by side came by and it was from 5th wheel campers we passed on the way in. they thought we might be in trouble because we never came out and the trail/path only goes to a river. Ya a bunch of quaders that think jeeps can't go anywhere.
All and all the weekend was wonderful cool and comfortable. Good food, Good drink, and Good friends.
The camp, you can't see the other two tents off to the sides.
29.jpg

The trail. It was very up and down. It would go very easy then a very hard challenge sometimes with a pucker factor of 10
4.jpg

17.jpg

20.jpg

hers one of the harder parts. this washout is 6 feet deep at the start. so you go in at a very steep angle and then level out.
18.jpg

At the highest point of the trail you can see where you have come from and where you are going. The pics look very similar but they are from both sides of the hill. The trail is a cut line that was just a compass baring.
24.jpg

This is from the bottom
26.jpg

This is one of the hills we were climbing. this ne almost goes vertical at the end.
27.jpg

We all had a good time only damage was to a JK 4 door and Todd needs a AEV rear bumper anyways.

mph

Expedition Leader
great pics...that is one crazy cut line in the trees...i kept looking for the powerlines...

Waytec

Adventurer
No power lines.
This part of the country is criss crossed with hundreds of KM of cut lines that are used for exploring for oil deposits. They were made in the 50s up until the 80s. A large Bulldozer is brought in the operator drops blade and heads down a compass baring.
Now we use them for trails

Last edited:

Waytec

Adventurer
I would love to drive that route. Thanks for posting.

Where are you located and what do you have for a rig. 2 or 3 inch lift, 31s, a winch and not scared to scratch your rig and you will be fine. Add 33s and a rear locker and it is really really fun. :victory:

Jeep

Supporting Sponsor: Overland Explorer Expedition V
I think I've jeeped and biked every trail in that area, I started in 1989 and only have a few left. Some of the nicest country and best trails I have been on, Moab is it's own gem too though.

The Adam Blaster

Expedition Leader
Can you give more specific directions where this is?
It looks like something I'd LOVE to do! And how long does it take to run the trail? Is it something that would be feasible on a Saturday from Edmonton?
I'm wondering if it would be a day-trip possibility...

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
Thats pretty cool. And the scenery is awesome. Thanks for posting up your trip!

mosupernak

Adventurer
I don't know what would be more fun, four-wheeling that trail or being the guy in the giant bulldozer that made it haha!

Waytec

Adventurer
Adam Blaster Pm'd

wonder how well the tundra would do with the slide in camper on those trails?..:smiley_drive:

I would not take it on this one with the camper in the back. I have seen a tundra do the trail I just don't think I would take the camper with you. The trail is very steep and off camber in parts.

wanderer-rrorc

Explorer
Adam Blaster Pm'd

I would not take it on this one with the camper in the back. I have seen a tundra do the trail I just don't think I would take the camper with you. The trail is very steep and off camber in parts.

dang...sleepin bags and tents it is!!:camping:

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
great report and amazing pics...that trail is straight as an arrow.

Question on the first pic, I have never seen someone stow an axe by leaving it in the tree.
Is there any risk of damage to the tree or sap/rust damage to the axe? Just curious, trying to learn new stuff all the time.

Waytec

Adventurer
29.jpg

I was waiting for someone to catch that. The tree is dead. If you look it is darker than the rest. we were debating on cutting it down at first but after pushing on it we decided there was no risk of it falling.
I figured it was a good place to keep it so we weren't tripping over it, easy to get and because of the guide ropes no one was walking there.
storing the axe this way in a live tree is not a good thing. It scars the tree and sap will leak everywhere. as well as the cleaning oil (I do hope you oil your axes)can not be good for the tree.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jay2thaC