Got a new to my '88 FWC Keystone and need some help/pics mounting it in my 2002 F250

IDFYF8

Just picked up an 88 Keystone. The guy I bought it from said the floor pack has been "professionally updated" to fit late model trucks. Not sure if this was a bunch of bull or not because the thing looks absolutely factory. He had it in a 2005 Dodge and had Torklift frame mounts. I have a 2002 F250 with Torklift mounts but hate them as they are positioned such that I can't access my fuel door on my truck and they stick out WAY far.

I'd like to take my hole saw and make some access points in the camper and add the newer in-bed mounts. I will have to add the anchors to the camper and truck.

Question is--- where? You guys have any good pics to help a brother out???

Jim

pods8

Explorer
Do you even have access to the topside of the wheel well step on the drivers side to install bolts or are the cabinets in the way? Probably should figure that part out first before picking a path. If there are cabinets there and you want to go a different route you can through bolt the floor to your truck bed. Some of the WTW guys have done that because they've had bad luck with the turnbuckles.

By the way if its truly an 88' and it was on a 05' Dodge then it does sound like it was probably modified (also the fact you don't have turnbuckles on it). I think 88/89 is right before the width change on the design. Prior to that it was 64" in the tailgate opening, then they went down to 60" until early 2000's and the fullsize campers are now 58" in the rear.

1stDeuce

Explorer
Jim, I'll snag you a couple of pics tonight, but I have a Hallmark that I have configured to use tie downs in the front of the bed. My camper has a hatch on the passenger side that looks right down into the open area forward of the wheel well. I put a battery in there, and I access a turnbuckle tie-down through that opening also. On the driver's side, there is a lower cabinet door that opens, revealing a second cabinet door to the same area, forward of the wheel well. I use this access to plug in the R/V connector, and to tighten the turnbuckle on that side. Much more difficult than the pass side, but it works, and keeps me from having mounts on the sides of my truck. The rear is currently turnbuckled forward to eye bolts on the bottom of the back bumper. (Replaced bolts right at a brace.)

Honestly, it works for me, but if I was going to actually mount an FWC, I'd think about bolting it down if provisions exist. My camper moves around quite a bit, and always ends up squirming forward in the bed, even though I have it on a rubber bed mat.
Chris

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad