Got an XJ

Schattenjager

Expedition Leader
After being without a rig for some time, I just secured a super clean, black 1998 XJ Classic. Pilot owned and seeming well cared for, I hope it will prove to be a sound choice. I really wanted another FZJ80, but time, geography, and circumstances conspired against that notion.

The jeep has sat for a year and has some rough area that I will address today:

rough idle, but runs great and is getting around 19 MPG after four days of driving.

exhaust leak - thinking it is around the cat - will check today. Does not seem to be the Y pipe at first glance.

Thunk in the rear when taking off - betting it is the rear shaft in need of grease. No zerks! what a bummer...

Shaky ride - put his old set of snow tires and steel rims on so thinking a balance will fix it.

Odometer is showing too many miles vs. actual speed. I used two GPS's and the car speed is about 5 MPH fast, despite having the correct tires size. Can't figure this one...

The future plans will be for a modest lift, slightly larger tires, a bumper with some light forces 170's, sliders and an autostart. Keeping it pretty simple compared to my previous Tacoma and Cruiser.

Pics later today - after she is washed!
:victory:

Last edited:

MuckSavage

Adventurer
I'd first think that the exhaust leak would be the exhaust manifold cracked, however, the 19mpg doesn't reflect that.

Good luck & can't wait to see some pics!

4xdog

Explorer
Glad to hear about the XJ, Don. I'm sure you'll have fun with it. Happy to see you on ExPo again.

Don

buckshot500

Observer
I recently got a black 98 XJ sport, Got the back lifted 3" with a bastard pack.

Front will be lifted next week with some V8-ZJ coils & 1.75" spacers.

I like the truck a lot so far, but not as much as my YJ,

theksmith

Explorer
Thunk in the rear when stopping - betting it is the rear shaft in need of grease. No zerks! what a bummer...

Odometer is showing too many miles vs. actual speed. I used two GPS's and the car speed is about 5 MPH fast, despite having the correct tires size. Can't figure this one...

when i had an 01 XJ, i had a clunk when stopping that sounded like it came from mid-rear, turned out to be a deteriorated transmission mount.

you may already know about it, but after you get the tire size you want on there, just swap the little plastic gear in the speedo pickup to get it reading just right (they are like $8).

Schattenjager

Expedition Leader
Is there an easy way to remove the factory roof rack bars? I have a Yakima setup I want to use instead. The buttons on the factory rack only push in on one of the four sides and none want to slide on the rails.

Is there an easy way to remove the factory roof rack bars? I have a Yakima setup I want to use instead. The buttons on the factory rack only push in on one of the four sides and none want to slide on the rails.

Pry the buttons out, they pry the lever and bar up to make them slide. Of course the front and rear caps need to be removed in order to take them completely off.

BUT... Won't your Yakima setup ride higher than the factory bars? I always used mine together.

Purzell

Adventurer
thunk in the rear

Mine had this. When I had the OME 2" heavy lift with new U-bolts installed, the thunk went away...go figure?

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
After being without a rig for some time, I just secured a super clean, black 1998 XJ Classic. Pilot owned and seeming well cared for, I hope it will prove to be a sound choice. I really wanted another FZJ80, but time, geography, and circumstances conspired against that notion.

The jeep has sat for a year and has some rough area that I will address today:

rough idle, but runs great and is getting around 19 MPG after four days of driving.

exhaust leak - thinking it is around the cat - will check today. Does not seem to be the Y pipe at first glance.

Thunk in the rear when stopping - betting it is the rear shaft in need of grease. No zerks! what a bummer...

Shaky ride - put his old set of snow tires and steel rims on so thinking a balance will fix it.

The future plans will be for a modest lift, slightly larger tires, a bumper with some light forces 170's, sliders and an autostart. Keeping it pretty simple compared to my previous Tacoma and Cruiser.

Pics later today - after she is washed!
:victory:

Hey man, good for you. I'm a HUGE fan of the fj80's and fzj80's, too. As much as I hate to admit it, though. Right now, my trusty 1992 is doing everything I need it to, and is returning about the same mpg's 19-20 or so.

It's VERY easy to work on, and everything I've run up against has been super simple and reletively cheap to purchase.

LOTS of vendors trying to sell you things you don't need, and I've matured a lot, after driving every day as to what I think I need, and what I actually need.

Here's what I've added:

-2" lift (great for ride quality and give it that "super-stock" look without changing any geometry requiring driveshaft mods)

-225-75r16 tires (slightly larger and narrower than stock. Still VERY able to stuff the tires in the wheelwells when fully flexed)

-thule bars with Camping lab awning and Thule aero box for bulky light items like our tent, chairs, sleeping bags, etc. (VERY useful on trips and lets me carry 5 passengers with ease.)

-trailer hitch. (perfect for towing or recovery, might get a bumper with hitch later, but not sure I want to add the weight. Probably will go with a detours brand rear tire carrier/bumper reinforcement)

-On Board air (OBA) (used mostly for balls, pool toys, etc, but I've also topped off my tires when there was no other way. not bad for a free compressor)

-Front winch bumper from logans metal products. (tow points, frame reinforcements, winch mount, light mount, good foundation for "roo bars" or Exo-cage)

My very narrowed-down list of "wants"...

-Ipod holder for dash, for trips
-Rear spare tire carrier to give me that extra space in the back, and to be able to carry my Wedco can and LuggableLoo OUTSIDE of the vehicle. :)
-Onboard water containers (probably more nato cans, or maybe a fancy-dancy setup from Paul @ equipt)

This is an older pic, but is still how it looks right now...

DSC01610.jpg

Have fun with your new rig, man!

-Brian

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maynerd Mowat