Got an XJ

buckshot500

Observer
Forgive me for asking, but what is a bastard pack? Is that just a less subtle way of saying add-a-leaf or is it something totally different?

Sorry I haven't got back sooner. I got this idea from someone else. Normally leaf springs from an S-10 Chevy are combined with the XJ leaf packs.

I used leafs from an Isuzu Rodeo. My XJ main leaf stayed in place, followed by the Rodeo main leaf with the eyes cut off. next two are the next rodeo leafs 2&3 are me 3&4. Then the smallest XJ leaf will go on the next time I have a minute. I still have to extend my bump stops about 2" to 3" though.

My front springs have replacements on call from a V8-ZJ. I also have a set of 1.75" coil spacers to give me about 3" lift all around. I am using a two pound rubber mallet head, cut in half to make the front bump stop extenders.

So a bastard pack is basically a mix-n-match combo of whatever leafs you decide will work best for you. There's a certain amount of trial & error, but you get good at it real quick. I put degree shims in, test drove it then took the wedges back out, in under an hour. Not bad for a 47 year old with a bad back!:wings:

Schattenjager

Expedition Leader
Well, I have researched this quite a bit and am going to stick with what I know. Even though ARB seems to have slipped a bit in quality control, the same opinion holds true of the Rubicon Express diehards. I had my own issue with ARB a while back, as some may remember, but ultimately I have really enjoyed the ride quality and enhanced capability their suspensions bring to the table. I am going to go with springs only for now, and will do shock later. It is winter and there will not be much exploration for a few more months.

Now, to decide where to get it. ARB controls pricing pretty tightly it would seem and shipping up here is nuts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maynerd Mowat