Got my AEV Hood back from paint! (Pics)

Cole

Expedition Leader
Form or function? Both?!!

I've been building Jeeps and other custom motor sports things for 25+ years and one universal truth is that heat is NOT your friend. Two simple things I have learned about keeping mechanical things alive. 1) Keep it clean 2) Keep it running cool.

Even with the little 3.8L motor the JK is starting to get a reputation for heat related issues. It would seem most are related to the auto trans at this point and that cooling issues may be related to the tow rating also. Once I add a trans cooler the additional cooling from the hood vents should make it that much more effective.

There are a ton of things I need and want to do to the JK. (like a rear tire carrier but waiting to see the finished Aberle Offroad unit to decide) So I figured I would take a moment to do a cool looking "supporting" mod first.

At some point I want to due a Hemi or at least a supercharger, both of which could greatly benefit from additional cooling capacity. I figure, get the hood on now and it will make some of those other additions easier later on. It will also give me the cooling to keep the 3.8L running strong until I decide.

One really nice thing about the AEV hood is that it is all steel, real steel, not that flimsy stuff the stock hood is made out of. MUCH thicker!! No more hood flapping in the wind. Even with my Daystar hood latches the hood sheet metal would buckle up and down with the stock hood. I can't imagine the AEV hood doing that.

Anyway, got it back from paint today. Still need to put new Rubicon decals on it. Want a "factory" type look, even though this hood has a much more aggressive stance to it than the plain stock on.

I will get more pics with the decals on later, here it is for now.

Here is the Jeep with the stock hood first for reference.

4189009304_f645d23abc_b.jpg

Now with the AEV Hood.

4328376463_c7d5229e62_b.jpg

More detail.

4328389997_365d263884_b.jpg

4328375269_7c32931c36_b.jpg

4329117840_f25e77994b_b.jpg

4328369369_388c6ec048_b.jpg

Scott Brady

Founder
I have now had two AEV hoods, and am impressed by the quality and fitment of the product. Better than OEM in my opinion.

One quick piece of advice: Make sure the side grills are not rubbing on the fender metal. I had contact on mine and didn't notice until a little surface rust showed up.

A point of curiosity: I might be crazy on this, but I noticed that in the summer, the vent air (when the A/C is off and only fresh air vent is on) is considerably more hot with the new hood. At first, I thought the HVAC temp dial was broken or not fully shutting off the coolant valve. Now it has been long enough that I do not remember if the vent air was warm from the beginning, or if it is the hood. I will be curious if you notice this once the weather heats up.

Stan the Man

Adventurer
That thing looks sweet; I'm not so much a fan of the Bushwackers though. Couple things: Will you be able to drop the windshield if you wanted to and will the air openings have any ill effects in deep water?

Cole

Expedition Leader
That thing looks sweet; I'm not so much a fan of the Bushwackers though. Couple things: Will you be able to drop the windshield if you wanted to and will the air openings have any ill effects in deep water?

Bushwhackers are a "lesser of two evils" for me. I'm a "suit & tie" type of guy during the week so need to keep the Jeep as clean as possible.

You loose the windshield tie downs with this hood. I only put it down on my TJ twice ever in 10 years. I hear it is a HUGE pain on the JK so I am willing to give that up.

Looking good! Do you notice any increase in noise levels?

I was worried about that. Have not noticed a "noticeable" increase.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Looks great, Cole; I wish I had your mod budget... ...you've been busy lately.

Snorkel time? Looks naked without one.... :ylsmoke:

Cole

Expedition Leader
I have considered the snorkel. Girlfriend hates it. :sombrero:

We will see. Would be fairly easy to add at this point. Think it needs more power first. :sombrero:

Took this little video today.

Kinda long (8 min) because I left it totally unedited.

YouTube - GOPR0019.MP4

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
I know; it's a slug. I wish it weren't but I bought it knowing it's a slug.
I can live with life in the slow lane until I can afford the Hemi. I don't really like how I'd have to live with the supercharger...

Cole

Expedition Leader
I don't really like how I'd have to live with the supercharger...

Supercharger would work perfect for these high mountain passes where even a little RPM is required.

Not saying a Hemi would not be better, but the supercharger would probably cure my issues on the highway hill climbs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3