Greenbow County JDM Expo Build

SurferJacoby

日本車???最高
Yah next time. I was really ready to camp. I was waiting in Oregon from Friday @ my cousins house in Portland. I really didn't want to pass up in seeing your beast in person and meeting you the same time. For sure next time we can get together and have some beers.

I agree; more than likely I'd ship it out and have more time that way to enjoy and relax. Sorry for the miscommunication man.

SurferJacoby

日本車???最高
Long overdue

Added a few more items to the truck, my H4 fog lamps and washed. Planning to revamp suspension and control arms; lots of things I'd like to get done before Overland Expo East in October. This is after 6500 miles East to West.
image.jpg

Elbee

Adventurer
Nice! I did a similar trip last summer in mine. Put around 13k miles on it during my trip.
virgin ut 4runner.jpgcockpit.jpg

SurferJacoby

日本車???最高
I'll be moving out to Bend Oregon in the fall, so if you are ever out there!

Yeh man! I liked Bend, didn't get to see as much as I would have liked but I really enjoyed my time in Oregon. Would love to move to the PNW someday.

SurferJacoby

日本車???最高
Installed OME 861s and new bump stops

image.jpg
Time to clean up the rake of the truck. These coils are much stiffer than the LC 8 wraps I had in the past; they're meant for an 80 series.

Some routine maintenance (diff oil, new brake lines) and then looking to upgrade to a KING suspension setup. Excuse the sideways photo. Cheers!

Lecoq

Explorer
Love your build. Got a couple of questions about the jdm spoiler and the UZ swap. Would you happen to know if the spoiler fits the OEM wind deflector mounts?

And for the V8 swap, was the body lift required to get the swap done? Thank you very much.

SurferJacoby

日本車???最高
Love your build. Got a couple of questions about the jdm spoiler and the UZ swap. Would you happen to know if the spoiler fits the OEM wind deflector mounts?

And for the V8 swap, was the body lift required to get the swap done? Thank you very much.

Thank you, mine is an original SURF hatch that came equipped with the wing spoiler. Get on Kijiji and you should find a used one and do a full swap without issue (much better than just the wing). To answer your question, 'I believe so,' but would have to go out and measure.

Yes, to clear the engine without risk of contact a minimum 2" lift was required. Either that or a very BFH!

Lecoq

Explorer
Would you do it again? Now that you've had it for a while?

Reason I'm asking is because I owned a 2005 Limited V8 and loved it but the third gen has something special about it.

rickashay

Explorer
Awesome build. Such a unique setup and something truly different than the masses. I applaud all the mods and even your unique color scheme!

Any build thread on that LT 4th Gen?!? I need some bad ideas....lol

EDIT: Any pics of where you mounted the Rigid Amber turn signals up front?

Last edited:

SurferJacoby

日本車???最高
Would you do it again? Now that you've had it for a while?

Reason I'm asking is because I owned a 2005 Limited V8 and loved it but the third gen has something special about it.

Yes I would. I simply love the 3rd Generation 4Runner. For me it speaks to agile, capable and more than anything Toyota quality. More and more however I am on the fence about selling for something newer come spring. Find you a solid 3rd Gen and go from there; a part of me longs for a stock 4wd lol. These things, in good shape, can be found with some patience at great prices. Do yourself a favor if you do decide to move forward with a 3rd Gen purchase and find an imported (from Japan) vehicle. You would kill a lot of birds with one stone on that purchase. Your law is 15 years as opposed to foolish 25 here so you could find a top of the line '02 unit complete with all the stuff I had to import. That'd allow you to focus more on the other stuff. That'd be the route I'd go.

Awesome build. Such a unique setup and something truly different than the masses. I applaud all the mods and even your unique color scheme!

Any build thread on that LT 4th Gen?!? I need some bad ideas....lol

EDIT: Any pics of where you mounted the Rigid Amber turn signals up front?

Rickashay thanks for the kind words, your 3rd Gen was always one of my favorites. I reached out to the owner of the 4th Gen with the LT setup and will get you some follow up here shortly. He's on t4r (Blight1234) but more active in the Atlanta group.

The Apex bumper I have has cutouts for 2" turns however I'll be using these for my XVisions and will install the Rigids to the outside of each. This will require some minor drilling. I've had the truck garaged for the most part since Fall but will get pics up as soon as they are in.

rickashay

Explorer
Yes I would. I simply love the 3rd Generation 4Runner. For me it speaks to agile, capable and more than anything Toyota quality. More and more however I am on the fence about selling for something newer come spring. Find you a solid 3rd Gen and go from there; a part of me longs for a stock 4wd lol. These things, in good shape, can be found with some patience at great prices. Do yourself a favor if you do decide to move forward with a 3rd Gen purchase and find an imported (from Japan) vehicle. You would kill a lot of birds with one stone on that purchase. Your law is 15 years as opposed to foolish 25 here so you could find a top of the line '02 unit complete with all the stuff I had to import. That'd allow you to focus more on the other stuff. That'd be the route I'd go.

Rickashay thanks for the kind words, your 3rd Gen was always one of my favorites. I reached out to the owner of the 4th Gen with the LT setup and will get you some follow up here shortly. He's on t4r (Blight1234) but more active in the Atlanta group.

The Apex bumper I have has cutouts for 2" turns however I'll be using these for my XVisions and will install the Rigids to the outside of each. This will require some minor drilling. I've had the truck garaged for the most part since Fall but will get pics up as soon as they are in.

Appreciate you digging up info for the 4th Gen. I'll search his username on T4R and see what I come up with.

I am in a similar predicament with my front bumper... I have a Pelfreybilt aluminum and need to create turn signals as the factory ones are also in the OEM front bumper. I am not sure I am a fan of the cheesy "LED Trailor lights" on the side of the bumper. Using the A-Series Rigids might be the classier approach... might have to steal your idea! Looking forward to see how it turns out. Did you go with the high-power or low-power version?

SurferJacoby

日本車???最高
Appreciate you digging up info for the 4th Gen. I'll search his username on T4R and see what I come up with.

I am in a similar predicament with my front bumper... I have a Pelfreybilt aluminum and need to create turn signals as the factory ones are also in the OEM front bumper. I am not sure I am a fan of the cheesy "LED Trailor lights" on the side of the bumper. Using the A-Series Rigids might be the classier approach... might have to steal your idea! Looking forward to see how it turns out. Did you go with the high-power or low-power version?

Below is where I got my inspiration so you if it makes you feel better you won't be stealing my original idea. He's local as well; he's got two sets as you can see. Very clean. I went with high-power!! Go big or go home lol. Definitely wasn't crazy about the stock lights that came with the bumper.

DSC_0100_zpstl8qmaat.jpg

Lecoq

Explorer

I have a clean, rust free, 2001 right now and I've been on the fence about keeping it as a long term project or moving on to something else. I do miss the V8 in my 4th gen but having built one in the past I'm thinking of doing something different and a mild build on the 3rd gen once I get my house finished. The V8 swap could be a great alternative to the trd supercharger.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad