Greenbow County JDM Expo Build

SurferJacoby

日本車???最高
From ZA, with love

Finally attached the GoPro to the truck; pardon the wind noise. Will get something a bit more interesting up shortly.
[video]https://youtu.be/ePamVtWiJPo[/video]

Swung by my local muffler shop and got a quote on a reroute job for the exhaust. The right mount is broken (see below) so getting this sorted. With the reroute I will have both coming out and behind the passenger rear tire. At my age (35 as I write this) I'm starting to get tired of the droning from my Magnaflow.
DSC_8399_zpsez0udtqm.jpg

Also took it to get dynoed; one hour, three pulls and a few minutes later results are inconclusive. Tester David was having a time keeping it in one gear without it upshifting etc. We basically just shot the stuff about his shop, race carts and his Baja days so not a total wash I guess...
DSC_8421_zpsledvlnfb.jpg

DSC_8429_zpswneddkix.jpg

DSC_8424_zpswxj4ccvi.jpg

DSC_8432_zpsyujgvkra.jpg

Also discovered my passenger side inner CV boot is now torn; fantastic:jaw:. Time for OEM or CVJ replacements.

Did get home to this though: winch came in from NorthRidge. Went with a ComeUp winch, the Seal Gen 2 9.5rsi.Also two packages from FrontRunner and two 4 Gallon packs from Rotopax.
DSC_8436_zps7wrsmhn3.jpg

From FrontRunner I purchased a ladder and grill. The ladder uses a ratchet system to attach to the rear tire as shown below and the grill simply mounts under the ratchet straps. Was very impressed with the notes from the employees in ZA of FrontRunner. They send you these nice notes of appreciation and encourage to get out there. Nice touch. :elkgrin:
DSC_8451_zpscfadydtp.jpg

I was able to drop off my front bumper and sliders at a local 4Runner forum member's shop so we'll be working on that tomorrow. Cut frame rail ends, weld on bumper ends, also compensate for the 2" lift.

With only three months to go till Texas I'm getting pretty damn excited about this thing. :jump:Cheers!

SurferJacoby

日本車???最高
Some progress

Recently got started on a few things:
Front bumper prep and install
Slider prep and install
Seat swap

DSC_8464_zpsfplktcuq.jpg

For the Apex bumper the front flanges/frame ends have been cut (before pic)

DSC_8468_zpsbrxr6nsp.jpg

Got it in to a local forum member's weld shop for measuring. With the 2" BL I've opted to have the sliders angled up. Will test out different angles before tacking on.
DSC_8466_zpsyjsmfscq.jpg

Got in my Wedge seat brackets yesterday and was hoping to knock out everything today but that's not the case. Here's some progress pics, should be completed by the end of the week.
DSC_8469_zpsljexfzjn.jpg

DSC_8487_zpsgxf48v9m.jpg
[/URL]
DSC_8480_zps1rke0hx7.jpg

DSC_8472_zpsk1bf7mfm.jpg

I'm selling my Limited seats to the guy who bought my 98:scared: back from me so I'll be salvaging the electronics and wiring from them for plug and play function
DSC_8491_zpsp9hfajz7.jpg

DSC_8492_zps5logfn5q.jpg

DSC_8489_zpslslrs90f.jpg

The black does a good job of breaking up the all tan interior and the seats are quite comfortable. Leather is softer than Limited so I'd expect better wear. Had some minor issues with the bracket not lining up on back right but that will be addressed. All in all I like the look and feel; the shoulder bolsters do rub the seat belt housing but aside from that no issues.

Also got an IPF 924 searchlight from Roadhouse.jp out of Japan.
DSC_8474_zpscwxka9b1.jpg

It's a remote controlled search light that turns 360 degrees and up and down up to 80 degrees. IPF discontinued these some years back and after searching a bit came across this one brand new. It'll mount to the front of the Whitson after I get it cleaned up. The plan is to run the wiring for the remote through the opening where my 4WD shifter was.
DSC_8475_zpsdwxhw56b.jpg

CBI Hybrid should be here hopefully this week and then on to paint and lights...Cheers!

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
That is one of, if not THE nicest Frunners I've seen in a very long time! I love the FN wheels too. Dead sexy!

lugueto

Adventurer
Interesting facts about the fridge. Do you have one??

Curious to see your front bumper choices, your build looks extremely detail oriented.

Cheers

SurferJacoby

日本車???最高
Toyota Engel Fridge

Interesting facts about the fridge. Do you have one??

Curious to see your front bumper choices, your build looks extremely detail oriented.

Cheers

@lugueto Thank you; yes, I was able to purchase a fridge while I was in Japan. I'll be using it for my upcoming trip out to Palo Duro Canyon. Please see below.
DSC_8496_zpspyh55zdp.jpg

DSC_8499_zpsjlzvzdhz.jpg

Usable interior space is roughly 13.5"x7.5"x8.5". For a party of one it's not bad. 15qts I believe.
DSC_8510_zps1y0q1tii.jpg

It plugs into a DC 12V; I love that it also has a heat function in addition to the other functions.
DSC_8507_zpsay3wyfaj.jpg

Can't tell in this picture but it has a quick hatch and a full hatch allowing you to access a portion of, or the entire contents.

I hope to have the front and rear bumpers on and painted shortly; thanks for stopping by. Cheers!:smiley_drive:

Bryan_FRO

Supporting Sponsor
Finally attached the GoPro to the truck; pardon the wind noise. Will get something a bit more interesting up shortly.
[video]https://youtu.be/ePamVtWiJPo[/video]

Swung by my local muffler shop and got a quote on a reroute job for the exhaust. The right mount is broken (see below) so getting this sorted. With the reroute I will have both coming out and behind the passenger rear tire. At my age (35 as I write this) I'm starting to get tired of the droning from my Magnaflow.
DSC_8399_zpsez0udtqm.jpg

Also took it to get dynoed; one hour, three pulls and a few minutes later results are inconclusive. Tester David was having a time keeping it in one gear without it upshifting etc. We basically just shot the stuff about his shop, race carts and his Baja days so not a total wash I guess...
DSC_8421_zpsledvlnfb.jpg

DSC_8429_zpswneddkix.jpg

DSC_8424_zpswxj4ccvi.jpg

DSC_8432_zpsyujgvkra.jpg

Also discovered my passenger side inner CV boot is now torn; fantastic:jaw:. Time for OEM or CVJ replacements.

Did get home to this though: winch came in from NorthRidge. Went with a ComeUp winch, the Seal Gen 2 9.5rsi.Also two packages from FrontRunner and two 4 Gallon packs from Rotopax.
DSC_8436_zps7wrsmhn3.jpg

From FrontRunner I purchased a ladder and grill. The ladder uses a ratchet system to attach to the rear tire as shown below and the grill simply mounts under the ratchet straps. Was very impressed with the notes from the employees in ZA of FrontRunner. They send you these nice notes of appreciation and encourage to get out there. Nice touch. :elkgrin:
DSC_8451_zpscfadydtp.jpg

I was able to drop off my front bumper and sliders at a local 4Runner forum member's shop so we'll be working on that tomorrow. Cut frame rail ends, weld on bumper ends, also compensate for the 2" lift.

With only three months to go till Texas I'm getting pretty damn excited about this thing. :jump:Cheers!

Great lookin rig! Let us at Front Runner know if you need anything!

-Bryan

Elbee

Adventurer
So did you collect these parts when you were in Japan?
So do have details on the tire carrier? How hard was that to install, are the mounting brackets already in place for it in the pillar?
Do you ave any photos of the install?

Where did you get the JDM spoiler? Did the holes line up?

ALSO where did you get the LHD driver mirror on the fender??

love your truck. I work overseas and spent quite a bit of time driving a KDN185 with manual tranny, LOVED it.
I've been wanting to do a couple more surf modifications on my 4runner, mainly the tire carrier. Not may people have done it and next to no one has posted any guidance on how to go about it

SurferJacoby

日本車???最高
So did you collect these parts when you were in Japan?
So do have details on the tire carrier? How hard was that to install, are the mounting brackets already in place for it in the pillar?
Do you ave any photos of the install?

Elbee hi and thanks, you say you are currently overseas. If in Japan then definitely easier to obtain parts; if not then you still have options. Yes, much of my stuff, especially the larger items I purchased while I was over there and shipped back on my way home. I had a shop here in Atlanta do the carrier install since they'd done a couple in the past. Many welders I contacted didn't want to touch paint. I have details at home and will try to get my notes on the bracket mounting they did. Check out t4r.org and search blacktpgsr. I want to say he did a write up on his install with photos as well. If you're looking for one still when you get back then take a look at Kijiji which is the Canadian equivalent of Craigslist. I see some every once in a while. Make sure you search all of Canada or it'll take you forever to get through it.

Where did you get the JDM spoiler? Did the holes line up?
I purchased the tailgate whole with spoiler, etc for a little under $300 while in Japan. A good resource is Yahoo Japan auctions. I can pm you a link; there are always parts but as you can imagine they are sometimes scarce.

ALSO where did you get the LHD driver mirror on the fender??
Mirror I bought from Toyota while over there and the install was fairly straightforward. It will require drilling into your driver side fender. You could opt to buy an LH fender already with the mounted mirror though.

love your truck. I work overseas and spent quite a bit of time driving a KDN185 with manual tranny, LOVED it.
I've been wanting to do a couple more surf modifications on my 4runner, mainly the tire carrier. Not may people have done it and next to no one has posted any guidance on how to go about it

Thanks man; it's finally getting there. I am getting a bit of work done to it this weekend: front bumper install, lights, winch, brake lines and other stuff so I plan to post up on Sunday. You're right, not many do the tire carrier. You and I are both big on JDM so we look for these type mods but many don't. I still wonder why Toyota decided to forgo some of the items they did for the 4Runner.

SurferJacoby

日本車???最高
95 Prado

That my friend is from a 95 Series Prado. I plan to piggyback it to my Field Monitor after my trip next month. It's truly one of a kind. I have a video of it in operation somewhere.

Elbee

Adventurer
Thanks for the information.
Yes, the biggest upgrade i want to do is the JDM tire carrier and tailgate. I don't really care for the looks of the after market tire carriers, the tire sits too far out and/or it is angled too much.

I'm surprised by the fender mirror, because there was never a LHD surf so I figured those fender mirrors didn't exist, and I assumed fender mirrors like that did not exist outside of LHD vehicles.
Do have a P/N for the fender mirror?
Do you have an online source for some of the smaller items like the side indicators?

I have a beige (oak?) Field Monitor casing if you ever need it to match the interior.
Too bad I wont be back state side until like September...

SurferJacoby

日本車???最高
Thanks for the information.
Yes, the biggest upgrade i want to do is the JDM tire carrier and tailgate. I don't really care for the looks of the after market tire carriers, the tire sits too far out and/or it is angled too much.

I'm surprised by the fender mirror, because there was never a LHD surf so I figured those fender mirrors didn't exist, and I assumed fender mirrors like that did not exist outside of LHD vehicles.
Do have a P/N for the fender mirror?
Do you have an online source for some of the smaller items like the side indicators?

I have a beige (oak?) Field Monitor casing if you ever need it to match the interior.
Too bad I wont be back state side until like September...

Man, you're about as bad as I am with the JDM stuff. And I agree, the JDM carrier looks far better from an aesthetics and clearance aspect. Let me look at some stuff on the carrier too and get back to you. There was one for sale some months ago here in Atlanta and I shared it with someone who was looking. He purchased and is in the process of installing.

I'm sure I can do a search on the part number. Let me also look at Yahoo Auctions, you should be able to get one cheap.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad