Hankook Dynapro AT-M 2 ply a concern?

Obrianmcc

Observer
I upgraded from the Rugged Trails to the 10 ply Dynapro's almost immediately after buying the truck .... paid just under 800.00, if you found a full set for 600.00 that's a pretty good deal. No complaints so far ....

PrecisionX

Observer
My question is would be be foolish for putting 10 ply Dynapros on an R50? I've also heard 10 ply hurts off road performance quite a bit. I don't really have a full understanding of the trade offs if I get a 10 ply

JduRunner

Observer
I have "10 ply" tires on my 4Runner currently, they do ride pretty firm but when the are aired down to 18 psi the sidewall bulges nicely and I have never felt like I needed more traction. A couple points to make:
- on the whole 2ply sidewall vs 3 ply sidewall issue. The BFG used 3 1000 denier polyester plies, where the Grabber AT2 used 2 1500 denier plies. So really there is no ply thickness disadvantage in that case. My understanding is that the Cooper AT3 in the E rating also has 2 thicker plies vs 3 thinner ones.
- I'd also like to emphasize that the whole 6,8,10 ply rating thing isnt really what you think it is. The terms come from the days of bias ply tires and were carried over into radials. A 10 ply rated tire has no more plies in its construction than its 6 ply rated cousin. What it does have is more rubber in its construction to allow it to run at a higher PSI to support load.

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
There's nothing wrong with running E rated 10 ply tires on a lighter rig like a Pathfinder. I'd encourage it if you're in sharper rocks regularly. You'll just have to air down more because they tend to be stiffer. The only disadvantage I can think of is weight. 10 ply tires are heavy, and they can eat into gas mileage.

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
There's nothing wrong with running E rated 10 ply tires on a lighter rig like a Pathfinder. I'd encourage it if you're in sharper rocks regularly. You'll just have to air down more because they tend to be stiffer. The only disadvantage I can think of is weight. 10 ply tires are heavy, and they can eat into gas mileage.

Wreckdiver is correct. I'm pretty sure the JKU is lighter than a Pathfinder and several variants come standard with E rated tires from the factory. I rolled a set of 10th factory equipped 19th Anniversary KM2 E rated tires for a couple of years without issue.

PrecisionX

Observer
I checked on tire rack because there are two Hankook Dynapro ATMs.

P245/75/16 $114 Ea w $63 shipping
LT245/75/16 $137 Ea w $105 shipping

The P specs are:
Load range SL
Max load 2271lbs
Max PSI 44psi

LT specs are:

Load range E
Max load 3042lbs
Max PSI 80psi

What confuses me is its load range SL for the P metric but according to the Internet that makes it a 4ply tires with I'm assuming 2 ply sidewalls. Obviously the E load LT is the 10 ply.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven