Has anyone built an Expedition rig from a M101A1/A2

MIhunter

Thought I would pose this question. I do understand why the M416's are so popular. They are light weight and easy to pull down narrow trails. The M101's seem to be turned into yard debris trailers instead of anything else. However, has anyone used an M101A1/A2 and a starting point for building. If you have, I am really looking for pictures to get a few ideas.

nat

Adventurer
I have a M101A2 that is the basis for my expedition trailer. I like the bigger size over the M416. I tow mine behind my 1972 Toyota FJ55 and have had no issues with it.

I've had a hard time finding any pictures or actual build threads. I will attach the only one I have.

This is my plan:

Sew a mosquito fly to go over the bows and sew a canvas waterproof cover that has zippered access in the rear. I am going to bend a tube rack and mount a roof top tent to it. Just like the pic I attached. I'll mount my spare in the front along with 2 nato cans. I have an auxiliary fuel tank that will go underneath above the axle.

Attachments

• t1.jpg
    t1.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 306
  • t2.jpg
    t2.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 275
  • t3.jpg
    t3.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 238

nat

Adventurer
The 2 pics are NOT mine. I like it so much I am going to copy the ideas though. My trailer is in the pic with my blue/white FJ55.

I have camped in my trailer now, using a tarp over the bows.

MIhunter

Same here. That is why I asked the question. I haven't seen anyone use that platform yet, but I am looking fo ideas. A M416 is just too dang small for what I need. I picked up M101A1 for $400 and fmy first plan is to ditch the mil axle and tires (Budd rims) and convert to a #3500lbs axle and a smaller tire. With the tractor tires now, it just sits too high and is like pulling the Titanic down the highway. I want to keep the canvas top and bows for cover, but it does cause some serious drag. I am hoping by doing the conversion, it will drop it down a bit to help. I am setting mine up as a hunting rig, so I do not need 37in tires on it.

nat

Adventurer
The bigger size makes it easier to transport the wife's motorcycles and mountain bikes :bike_rider:

Frankly, the size makes for a perfect place to hang out and cook in bad weather, then crawl into the RTT for sleep.

In nice weather, it makes a good place to hide from mosquitoes and cook in peace.

At least that's my reasoning to justify building it up........lol

stevo

Observer
I too am looking for info on a conversion for the M101A1/A2 to pull behind my Pinz. Any info would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Corbet

Observer
I plan to start a build in the spring. In the process of gathering parts now. Right now it just hauls wood. By swapping out the axle/wheels and building a new box I think I can trim a lot of weight out of it. Plan to run 35's under it to match my 80 series.

nat

Adventurer
Hopefully I will get my tube bender ordered this week and I can begin on my build in the near future.

dozer2

I have an M101A1 that I bought back in 94. It came with full canvas, rails and bows. I had big plans of making an expedition trailer out of it to tow behind my 79 FJ40, but life and school and a new wife stepped in and plans changed. I still have that wonderful trailer but never built it out as planned. I have used it to haul all kinds of materials even 3000 lbs of plywood and lumber on the military tires with 0 air pressure with no noticable tire bulge. Dumb I know but when they are equipped to run flat..... They are awesome beasts of burden, and you can tilt them to dump with one hand and a full ton load.

First on my list was to get rid of that military axle that sucker is heavy, though the parking brake feature was nice. They have tons of potential but the FJ did struggle a bit pulling it down the highway.

4x4freedom

M101 Camper

Hi Guy's,

That's my M101a1 camper in the first two pics (the tan camo one). They are great trailers - this particular one is a 1953 Canadian variant I used to tow behind my 416 Unimog. It went through a couple of incarnations until I settled on a lifted suspension/lowered top version that better suited the height of my Mog.

They are great, although heavy to tow off-road unless you have a larger vehicle. Mine had the "BUDD" rims so I would certainly think you should stay away from those. The A3 variants had HMMWV wheels and tires and used eight bolt lug patterns. The newest ones (silver eagle) are aluminum, almost as heavy, and really expensive.

I've since sold it but think I might try the "flat deck" version next. Lighter and might be more useful for my plans.

Thanks,
Tim

Attachments

• PICT0005_3.jpg
    PICT0005_3.jpg
    352.6 KB · Views: 245
  • 113-1356_IMG.JPG
    113-1356_IMG.JPG
    311.8 KB · Views: 229

TKSC01

Adventurer
M101A3 Trailer/Camper

I have actually been giving this a ton off thought and have laid out some plains for a shell with pull out sides, much like an RV. I think they are big enough and strong enough to tollerate what I am looking to do. I will be pulling it with a 94 Full Size Bronco on 1 ton axles and Humvee rims so the height will be perfect.:wings:

bucksnort

it followed me home last week
Picture021-1.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk