HDR Processing

Lost Canadian

Expedition Leader
That's pretty damn good ywen! I've been OK up to now with single exposures (see below:)) but there are just some times where I would like more latitude. I think you guys are really trying to push me into PS.

smslavin said:
your other option is to go old school. grab some of these and treat it like film. do as much work in camera as possible.

Way ahead of you.:)
969887796_z5c4p-S.jpg
969884292_RJBCt-S.jpg
835254450_Gt82g-S.jpg
902537732_Xzb8c-S.jpg

932949761_hHfnY-S.jpg
902537053_frwjM-S.jpg

565504718_CYnnm-S.jpg
662597916_o6PKs-S.jpg

smslavin

Adventurer
Way ahead of you.:)

awesome work.

for me, the filters give such a better look. i use PS when i need to try and achieve a certain look for a specific shot. same thing i would have done in the darkroom with some chemicals and an enlarger. man, i miss those days. something about peering into that tub and watching the image appear out of blank paper. that's way more enjoyable for me than sitting in front of PS. :)

DrMoab

Explorer
Although he tends to push the envelope in HDR work and people either love him or hate him, it wouldn't hurt to check out Trey Ratcliff's work. http://www.stuckincustoms.com/

I hated what he did at first, than came to the realization that what he does is just another form of art.

Anyway, his site has a lot of interesting info when it comes to HDR stuff.

photoman

Explorer
I have only used Photomatix up to this point. Key thing though is you still need to process the shot in another program after you run it through Photomatix. Doesn't matter if it is PS, Gimp, or Iphoto- you will still need some further adjustments for it to have a more realistic look.

Biggest negative thing on Photomatix is tones in the sky. It really kills the sky or over does the clouds.

I'll sit down and do the PS layering and masking at some point.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
I've only tried HDR a few times with miserable failure as the result, so I have nothing to add here.

But I do have a question for you Trevor:
How did you get 3 stable, identical shots while out walking the dog? Surely you don't carry a tripod slung over your shoulder for such jaunts, do you? Did you lean against a tree or something?

Lost Canadian

Expedition Leader
Tried another shot while walking the dog again. This time the conditions were very contrasty ensured by the fact that I pointed the lens straight into the sun, LOL. The end result is not bad, getting closer to what I want, but it's still not there. More experimenting is in order.

Today's attempt.
1050292377_5exgv-XL.jpg

AYIAPhoto

Adventurer
I think you guys are really trying to push me into PS.
Key thing though is you still need to process the shot in another program after you run it through Photomatix. Doesn't matter if it is PS, Gimp, or Iphoto- you will still need some further adjustments for it to have a more realistic look.
If you don't want to spend the money on PS, Gimp is free as well as "Gimpshop" which is a modified version of Gimp. The layout and controls of "gimpshop"(hot keys and such) are almost identical to PS, so PS tutorials are more useful. I wish I could give you some advice on HDR, but all of my attempts have been rather dismal failures. :(

Lost Canadian

Expedition Leader
Although he tends to push the envelope in HDR work and people either love him or hate him, it wouldn't hurt to check out Trey Ratcliff's work. http://www.stuckincustoms.com/

I hated what he did at first, than came to the realization that what he does is just another form of art.

Anyway, his site has a lot of interesting info when it comes to HDR stuff.
I've stumbled upon Trey's site before but forgot all about it, huge thanks for bringing me back.

I finally got a chance to watch his google talk, and have to say it's one of the best talks on photography I've seen on the net in some time. Even if you don't like HDR I'd say it's a must watch for anyone interested in photography.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yuffashm32s"]YouTube - Authors@Google: Trey Ratcliff[/ame]

Last edited:

taco2go

Explorer
Thanks for the link Trevor ( and Ryan) . Lots of good information and advice from a self-taught creative. I also liked his thoughts on other non photography issues. Interesting how he sees "attention" as the new post capitalism currency, and where digital art is going.
I agree that this will be the century of the right brain.

I'm still not at the point of liking his HDR treatments, but I can appreciate his art, and his emphasis on feeling and perception-I wonder if his lack of stereopsis, or lack of parellax processing (he's apparently blind in one eye) makes him gravitate towards this rendering . HDR does seem very 2D to me.

In any event, I think we may need a HDR Photo thread started :)

Lost Canadian

Expedition Leader
I feel a little different. Some HDR I find very three demensional, what spoils it for me though is the overcooked look. I really like some of Trey's stuff, and some others, not so much. Where I think he has simply tried to balance a scene it really works for me it, where he has pushed it,... meh.

Some of his interiors are very nice, and feel very real to me, this one below for instance. I really feel as though I'm in the room with this one, and look at the star and tree, they pop right off my screen.

chriatmas1.jpg

Something like the one he had featured in the Smithsonian however is too much for my taste, but like you Joash, I can appriciate the effort and why it appeals to many.
trey-ratcliff-fireworks.jpg

Last edited:

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
I've stumbled upon Trey's site before but forgot all about it, huge thanks for bringing me back.

I finally got a chance to watch his google talk, and have to say it's one of the best talks on photography I've seen on the net in some time. Even if you don't like HDR I'd say it's a must watch for anyone interested in photography.

YouTube - Authors@Google: Trey Ratcliff

Trevor,

Lost in Customs was a significant find for me when first learning HDR. Thanks for posting this video. It was great being able to listen to Trey's view of the world, photography and HDR.

I agree his results are little more intense than I prefer but that's OK. He still has opened our eyes to try to capture things as we truly feel them when we are there.

Now time to practice. :elkgrin:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal