HDR Processing

TJDIV

Adventurer
Personally, I've read thread after thread after thread on HDR and nothing ever really took hold with me so I just mess around with it. I'm on the other end I'm afraid, where I actually enjoy the artsy side, like Ratcliff... I got his book last year for my birthday and enjoyed it.

I like your approach Trevor, the natural side is like a fine wine. It's much easier to just kick things up and Over-Mod HDR shots...

I did this during lunch today....but I have this waterfall 1/4 of a mile from my house so I can afford to screw up photos of it!!! :D

1063451666_D2M8n-XL.jpg

haven

Expedition Leader
Here's an approach to creating images with high dynamic range that doesn't require multiple exposures or fancy post processing. You simply hold a black card over the portion of the image that needs a shorter exposure, then remove it after the rest of the image has had enough exposure.

http://hanjies.blogspot.com/2009/10/black-card-photography-part-i.html

This approach works best in situations with a clearly defined straight boundary, such as the (dark) sea and the (light) sky. The length of exposure has to be several seconds, at least.

Michael Slade

Untitled
FWIW, I started teaching a new class today. One of my firm rules I give my students is that there is NO HDR allowed. Period.

john101477

Photographer in the Wild
FWIW, I started teaching a new class today. One of my firm rules I give my students is that there is NO HDR allowed. Period.
I don't blame you in the least

I think HDR has it's place but MOST do a really poor job of completing a decent HDR. With a little time, patience, and understanding of tools, you can get better results in RAW IMO.

theksmith

Explorer
i played with a little HDR in Photoshop a while back...

here was the main exposure from the auto-bracketing:

hdr1source.jpg

this is where i stopped that to me still looked somewhat "natural":

hdr1.jpg

but it's funny, i pushed it to unrealistic for fun and the average person out there likes this one better:

hdr1extreme.jpg

i've had good success with the HDR tool in Photoshop, but not with any of the default settings, they all seem pretty useless.

if you're going for a natural look and can shoot RAW, a professional photographer friend of mine actually uses LightRoom to do tons of stuff before he ever even bothers to open something in Photoshop.

when i first got a camera that could do RAW, i was still thinking that "i won't really mess with that, too much work", but now i'm a believer.... here's an example of a recent JPG out of the camera:

P1020438.JPG

compared to just a minute of tweaking some of the settings when bringing the RAW in using Adobe Camera RAW:

P1020438-raw.jpg

and just for fun, the more "extreme" HDR version:

P1020438-hdr.jpg

nwoods

Expedition Leader
i played with a little HDR in Photoshop a while back...
but it's funny, i pushed it to unrealistic for fun and the average person out there likes this one better:

hdr1extreme.jpg

I'm one of the average fans then. I like it too. Its a shame about those power lines though

OutaFocus

I've done a bit of HDR, mainly processed with Photomatix. Here is one where I tried to make it more photo realistic. I posted this on a photography forum and I saw that it looked way oversharpened. It doesn't look that way on the original image, so it must be a result of compression, or something. Anyway, please excuse the sharpness!

Swan_House_HDR_2.jpg

haven

Expedition Leader
HDR can be used in movies captured with a DSLR, too. Make that two DSLRs, simultaneously! Here's a demo

TJDIV

Adventurer
HDR can be used in movies captured with a DSLR, too. Make that two DSLRs, simultaneously! Here's a demo

That is awesome. Beam splitter - 2 5d mk2s... sheesh.
I'll be the sideline applause on that game for a while...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk