Heavy mat to replace cargo carpet.

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
Expo, I'm in need of a heavy rubber matting (sound deadening) to replace my carpet in the cargo area of the 4Runner (3rd Gen). There is nothing wrong with my carpet I'm just tired of cutting holes in it. I have the fridge slide, and will be adding a drawer soon and minimal carpet will be seen. So I figured to avoid having to vacuum I could swap the carpet for heavy mat and cut to fit.

Aaron

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
The large carpeted floor mats that are ussually in store entry ways work well. You use them upside down because the bottom is rubber and the carpet is your insulation. I did a old Chevy truck cab with one and it was great. A source for just heavy rubber mats is farm supply stores. I guess folks use the mats to protect horse and cow feet from concrete when they walk them on it. They are a lot cheaper than those truck mats but are fairly thick. The stuff I used on my E350 4x4 van was foam rubber snap together tiles. It cut easy and stays put with contact cement. It's not super durable but it's light and insulates well. I bought them at Costco but they were like these: http://www.greatmats.com/products/foamspecial.php

rusty_tlc

Explorer
Horse trailer mat works great.
Conveyor belt if you can find it wide enough.

I also think Cabellas sells a rubber fitted cargo mat for the 4runner.

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
This sounds good, remember it still needs to look as good as it functions. I'll try tractor suppl and see what they have. I would like to wuck it under my trim like it was carpet so it has a finished look. I've cut the hell out of my Husky liner and am ready to do away with it.

Aaron

yyc_ranger_4x4

Hit up an agricultural supplier...they've got 3/4" thick mats for livestock. They're about 4x6' and weigh a bit, but they stand up to everything. We use them at work for livestock, and also for protecting cables in heavy traffic areas like across main roads. I may grab one the next time they come out of storage as I'm thinking it would be perfect for the floor of a trailer I'm thinking of building....

check out http://www.rubbermats.com/ for ideas...

i put one of those stall mats in the back of the 4 runner. i don thtink that you will tuck it under your trim to clean things up. it is thic but fo rwhat i wanted it was perfect. thses are tons heavier duty than husky liners.

4x6 stall mat was $35 abouot a month ago at tractor supply. good luck

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
Do we as a community feel this would address my needs? I saw a picture in expo or on Expedition Exchange in the back of a D90 or was it a D110 and that gave me the idea, not to mention not cutting my OE carpet anymore. Or should I just leave my carpet in place and bolt in the box (slide out drawer type) on top of it? I want to maintain a clean look.

A

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
Well I'm afraid these mats are too much utility for me, I think I'll stick with my carpet as it has that finished look that the mats just take away. Thank for the help.

Aaron

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven