Hello I am new also....

Skillet

Adventurer
My Brother bought a 60 about a year ago and has begun restoring it a bit and getting it to his liking.

He has done some long distance trips in it and absolutely loves it.

It is and 85 and a stick shift. Here are some pics.

I think it looks very cool and it drives very well with the 3" OME suspension and 33 x 9.5 BFG A/T

ChuckB

Expedition Leader
Skillet said:
My Brother bought a 60 about a year ago and has begun restoring it a bit and getting it to his liking.

He has done some long distance trips in it and absolutely loves it.

It is and 85 and a stick shift. Here are some pics.

I think it looks very cool and it drives very well with the 3" OME suspension and 33 x 9.5 BFG A/T

:( My old 60 was the same color as your Brother's but NOT nearly in as good of shape. I used to take 6 hour round trips every week in it, and it wasn't toooooo bad...
For what its worth, I want to find another one as soon as I can!

rusty_tlc

Explorer
For the tour business an FJ45 Wagon with SBC conversion and the H55 transmission would be perfect. The FJ45 looked like the FJ40, very Safari, give it the power of a Small Block Chevy and the H55 5spd overdrive transmission and it would behave well on and off road. You could also do a full GMC drive drain swap with the SBC/700r4 and Dana axels. This would actually be my dream Expedition vehicle.
FJ45%20HT%20Wagon.jpg

:slap:
Now that I'm awake, ;) the 60 is a good choice, a bit of a dog on the highway with the six banger, but the SBC swap is fairly easy.

KMR

Adventurer
rusty_tlc said:
........a bit of a dog on the highway with the six banger.....

Hey now..........
Be nice. With the H55F in there the 60 becomes a highway cruisin machine! Well, by 1980s standards anyway. Compared to what we have available now, it is a bit of a dog, but the 5 speed makes a HUGE difference in drivability.

rusty_tlc

Explorer
KMR said:
Hey now..........
Be nice. With the H55F in there the 60 becomes a highway cruisin machine! Well, by 1980s standards anyway. Compared to what we have available now, it is a bit of a dog, but the 5 speed makes a HUGE difference in drivability.
Sorry, I didn't mean to ruffle any feathers. :D
You should hear what the guys who have done a SBC conversion on their 60's have to say. My buddies biggest complaint is he can't get his away from the wife unit.

cruiser guy

Explorer
rusty_tlc said:
For the tour business an FJ45 Wagon with SBC conversion and the H55 transmission would be perfect. The FJ45 looked like the FJ40, very Safari.

If finding parts for an FJ55 is bad wait till you start looking for parts for one of these! I'm using a '67 FJ45LV as the shop project at the school I work at in Guatemala. If someone has parts for one let me know!!

KMR

Adventurer
rusty_tlc said:
Sorry, I didn't mean to ruffle any feathers. :D
You should hear what the guys who have done a SBC conversion on their 60's have to say. My buddies biggest complaint is he can't get his away from the wife unit.

I couldn't bring myself to do this to a Toyota. To be honest, the 2F is getting boring, but I could not swap anything in other than something Toyota, and if you swap, it might as well be diesel.............

rusty_tlc

Explorer
KMR said:
I couldn't bring myself to do this to a Toyota. To be honest, the 2F is getting boring, but I could not swap anything in other than something Toyota, and if you swap, it might as well be diesel.............
That would kick ass.

cruiser guy

Explorer
KMR said:
I could not swap anything in other than something Toyota, and if you swap, it might as well be diesel.............

Well my '60 series is diesel from the factory with a turbocharger on it, the '76 FJ55 has the same engine with a turbocharger as well, the '67 FJ45LV is also getting the same diesel again with a turbocharger!!

Turbo-diesel rules!!!:smiley_drive:

rusty_tlc

Explorer
cruiser guy said:
Well my '60 series is diesel from the factory with a turbocharger on it, the '76 FJ55 has the same engine with a turbocharger as well, the '67 FJ45LV is also getting the same diesel again with a turbocharger!!

Turbo-diesel rules!!!:smiley_drive:
Two Diesel LC'c, one of them a 45 wagon??

You suck.:(

I'm just jelouse.

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
If you're interested, I know personally someone who is selling a Canadian-spec 1984 BJ60 with the Toyota 3B diesel. Fully US legal and killer torque and mileage. PM me if interested...

iron pig

First of all I want to say thank you to all that have posted in response to my initial question. I have been on another forum prior to coming here and experienced nothing but disdain and arrogance ( that is why I have changed my loyalties from Land Rover to Toyota ). The other site is expedition exchange and I was intrigued with the trips that they took especially the cooking competition on the trail. But due to the total elitist attitude of the members I have left that site and will not return.

This website to me has class and professionalism that I am in awe of and now have nothing but respect for. I do not own a Toyota yet but I will simply because if you all are examples of the average owners of these machines I would consider it an honor to be included in this group.

From my heart thank you to you all. I will continue to ask questions and I know I will get good advice plus a good sense of humor.

Again thank you.

datrupr

Expedition Leader
Well, thank you for all of the kind words about this site and it's members. This is a great place to hang out and learn, if even if you do not own a Toyota.:D Everyone here has the same mindset in terms of adventure travel, and the type of vehicles chosen as platforms really makes this a diverse group. You will not find brand bashing here, though I know a few people have been awed by the trail performance of my Trooper the first time they have seen it on the trail. There are so many great an capable vehicles out there, it is just a matter of finding one that fits your needs best.:safari-rig:

Skillet

Adventurer
Wow, that is good stuff Iron Pig.

You will find, as I have, nothing but good info and good people.

Good luck with whatever vehicle you get.

:beer:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilgirl