Hells Canyon, Oregon - Lord Flat / Dug Bar Ranch

Nikson

Explorer
Seeing a few reports of Hells Canyon area (and living in Oregon), I was getting tempted to head out and see it all for myself. This year was plentiful with snow in our area, so from what I've heard it was impassible for sometime into the summer months.

Anyways, plan was to camp at 2 different spots - Lord Flat & Dug Bar Ranch area campground.

So, keeping in mind that we've started off in Salem, Oregon, route was very similar to this link below...

http://g.co/maps/u3p4

only difference is that GoogleMaps doesnt show the road out to Lord Flat pass the Hat Point Lookout Tower area.

Anyways, enough with the boring stuff...
=========================

on our way to Enterprise, Oregon. Few road construction areas on the way...

IMG_0594.CR2.jpg

The view was already getting interesting...

IMG_0599.CR2.jpg

When we got to Joseph, we topped off everything (I carry 2x5Gal Jerry Cans), did a quick check on "all systems go". Keep in mind thats the last town w/fuel supply once you go up into hills.

Imnaha is technically last town on your way into Hells Canyon area, but there isnt much there. Imnaha has a smaller size store which will have some basics like bread, butter, milk, eggs, water, sodas, beer & few other things. We got a "funny" look to say the least when we came inside... All of the folks looked at us like "Oh, no... more outsiders!" - but in a warm-welcoming way... LOL...

so, once we got through Imnaha, straight off that highway, you come onto Hat Point Road, about 1/2 mile into it, we found couple of trees, and aired down to 20 PSI. After all, it is an "unimproved - unpaved" road w/ lots of washboard & some uneven surface.

This is one of the first lookouts on the Hat Point Rd.

%25255BGroup%2525201%25255D-IMG_0609.CR2_IMG_0615.CR2-7%252520images.jpg

still very "clean & dust free"

IMG_0631.CR2.jpg

Climb up to Hat Point Lookout Tower was rather slow, but very scenic. Set lots of time aside, take it easy because there are few sharp turns, and its very unpredictable where you never know what/who you got coming up around the next turn.

If you get to the tower early enough, you will catch a GREAT view of a sunrise, most likely get some wild goats/sheep in your view. Having bino's definitely a big help.

IMG_0636.CR2.jpg

View from the top of the tower... looking East

%25255BGroup%2525203%25255D-IMG_0644.CR2_IMG_0653.CR2-10%252520images.jpg

from the start, plan was to get to Lord Flat, so we continued on. You will come across bunch of downgrades, steep uphills & off-camber spots on your way. Nothing to terrible, but if you dont feel right with those things, dont go in there, especially on your own, or with a 4x2 type vehicle (alone).

I am a strong believer that its all about the driver, and not the car. I wouldnt take my BMW out to Lord Flat, but any sedan with a bit higher ground clearance (Honda Accord/Toyota Camry/Chevy Impala), I think I would make it through just fine (keep in mind I am talking about DRY conditions only).

Half Way to Lord Flat

IMG_0666.CR2.jpg

Lord Flat - about 2-3 hr drive from Lookout tower, depending on how many "picture" stops you do.

IMG_0675.CR2.jpg

night sky was great, beautiful bright moon & plenty of stars...

IMG_0703.CR2.jpg

almost a "full moon"

IMG_0698.CR2.jpg

more to come in part II

Nikson

Explorer
Part II

next morning was great... nice & sunny, and promising of some warm temps...

IMG_0720.CR2.jpg

Lord Flat airstrip... (half a dozen airplanes came by about 10 a.m.)

IMG_0734.CR2.jpg

last photo before we had out from the camping spot (btw, dont worry much about having to carry "in" firewood, since you will find plenty on your way into Lord Flat)

P1090503.JPG

half way to Imnaha, OR...

IMG_0775.CR2.jpg

once you go North from Imnaha on Lower Imnaha River, you will hit a bit of pavement, if I recall correctly, about 5-10 miles, and the rest will be all gravel with lots of ups/downs, drop-offs to the side. it roughly about +/-3hr drive from Imnaha to the Dug Bar area. Definitely worth the drive.

This picture makes you realize how "small" we really are... :sombrero:

IMG_0801.CR2.jpg

Late dinner at Dug Bar...

P1090537.JPG

The only "tree" at the campground.

IMG_0823.CR2.jpg

Being right next to boat ramp on the snake river, you have access to river & water (swimming, fishing, etc.); also there is a toilet at the site. Site is free, with no "official" fire pits. There are no "trash" bins/cans, so everything you pack in, you will have to pack it out. Keep in mind that this location is also right next to another landing strip right next to the Snake river.

007.CR2.jpg

Old Dug Bar Rancho is pretty much near by, walking distance next to few trails uphill.
Its open to "peaking" through the windows, and some of the doors/places were unlocked. It is considered a U.S. Government property, so being respectful to all the things there is not a bad idea...

Snake river is known for all sort of fish...

IMG_0834.CR2.jpg

We thought catch & release was pretty fun with the small stuff.

Oh, and lots of these guys there... LOTs...

IMG_0870.CR2.jpg

Sunday morning we head out home... about a 10 hr drive back...

018.CR2.jpg

All in all, it was about 1000 miles round trip for us, leaving Thursday 5 am & back on Sunday at 9pm. Fuel was not an issue with 2 jerry cans. Packed light with groceries, having a WAECO/DOMETIC 50qt. fridge really helped w/dual battery setup. Cabelas double tent-cot performed flawlessly with easy setup/break down time.

Definitely another place on my list to go again, only for longer period of time.

VIDEOS are the few latest ones you will find uploaded on my YouTube channel (link is down below in the signature)

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Thanks for the fine trip report and the great photos. I appreciate that you took the time to share the information, which is much appreciated by those of use planning that trip Any Decade Now. ;)

Goochm

Observer
Hmm...I love that area, lived in Joseph/Enterprise two summers and would live there full-time but for the lack of year-round work. It's a real step back in time to the days when ranching and farming really mattered. Great report, great photos. Thanks for the memories.

Nikson

Explorer
Thanks for the fine trip report and the great photos. I appreciate that you took the time to share the information, which is much appreciated by those of use planning that trip Any Decade Now. ;)

Thats no problems at all.

One of the "issues" I was having with taking the trip is all of the "I think, I heard" if you know what I mean. Lots of folks were talking about all the remoteness of the area, so I was really not sure what to take as far as supplies, since no one really want to drive 4-5 hrs into the closest town for extra supplies.

I hope this report will save some hassle & time for anyone taking the trip in the future.

Nikson

Explorer
Hmm...I love that area, lived in Joseph/Enterprise two summers and would live there full-time but for the lack of year-round work. It's a real step back in time to the days when ranching and farming really mattered. Great report, great photos. Thanks for the memories.

Definitely grate spaces for cattle & such. It was my pleasure... glad you enjoyed.

nightfoam

Adventurer
Great trip report, though at the same time, frustrating. Went up there in mid-July and we were met by a group on ATVs coming down from Lord Flat, told us it was impassable. Oh well, next time!

craig

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
I really enjoyed your trip report. That's the last trip I did w/ my old truck (truck went belly up on the way home). I might want to get out there again next year in the new (haha, it's an 1989) truck.

Yeah, the trail to Lord Flat is SUPER easy, but is a lot of fun for guys in stock trucks or older leaf sprung unlocked trucks. Beautiful remote drive out to Lord Flat and Dug Bar so definitely worth going on even if it isn't full of challenges.

There's been a lot of talk over the years of closing this trail down. Since it's Wilderness on the right hand side of the trail, if anyone else goes out there, PLEASE take the time to cut through any blow downs that are blocking the trail rather than going around them. Take photos of your work, and mail them to the Rangers. They need to know that we're taking good care of the trail and being responsible. Please encourage others out there to stay on the trail too, even if they are bored because it isn't hard enough for them. It would really suck if this got closed down.

Craig

Last edited:

Nikson

Explorer
I would have at least tried... :)

Just pay attention to snow fall levels in the late spring, I am getting another group of guys for the 2012 summer...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nepaltourism