Help me decide if I should pull the trigger or not

badmotofing3r

First of all, I'd like to say thank you for letting me join EP. I was always lurking these forums without registering. I'm excited to hopefully maybe be an "expeditioner" one way or another.

Question:

My friend just up graded to a Diesel Ford to meet his needs of pulling his camper up into the Big Horns.

His previous truck is a 2004 Tundra with lots of goodies. But they're is some bad news. He blew a headgasket. Here's the details.

2004 Tundra Access Cab 4x4 4.7

The good:
Toytech front coilovers
Heavy duty rear springs
Rear Bilsteins
Iron Bull front bumper
Winch
Lightbar (on bumper)
Unmatched faded topper shell
Matte black 16" off road wheels (unsure of brand)
New tires (unsure of brand)
He's the 2nd owner since 2005
Purchased used with 26k miles
Dings and dents already (good thing)

The bad:
200k+ miles
Blown headgasket

He told me he'd sell it to me as is for 3k.
He also said he'd buy a lowish mile used motor and install it himself for 5k.

Is this a good deal considering the goodies it had or am I just infatuated?

I had plans to do some mods to my 14 Tundra but since this has arise my wheels have been turning.

Someday I want a Toyota truck for the weeds and to beat around; but I don't want to beat the crap outta my newer Tundra.

Thanks guys,

Zach

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1536260712895.jpg
    FB_IMG_1536260712895.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 43
  • FB_IMG_1536260697837.jpg
    FB_IMG_1536260697837.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 40
  • FB_IMG_1536260703179.jpg
    FB_IMG_1536260703179.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 38

Kpack

Adventurer
I blew a head gasket on mine (actually I'm pretty sure the previous owner did, but it didn't show up until I started towing). The repair isn't cheap, but it does the trick. While they were in there I had them replace a my leaking manifolds to get rid of the tick.

While they are in there with the engine torn apart, might as well have them replace the timing belt, water pump, and associated pulleys. No reason to pay labor twice on that. Plan to spend ~$2K on repairs and you should have a decent truck.

Be aware that at that mileage you will likely be looking at replacing some of the front-end components soon. Tie rods, ball joints, etc. They just wear out over time.

-Kevin

phsycle

Adventurer
That's a tough life that Tundra's led, hauling, pulling, wheeling. Personally, I'd pass. Toyota's are known for reliability, but they are still machines. With abuse, they will break. It's probably at the point where it will nickel, dime, and dollar you indefinitely.

You have a nice truck. Plenty of people doing some crazy trails in those 2nd Gen Tundra's. Even stock, they're capable. I'd just use your current truck.

Clutch

<---Pass
That's a tough life that Tundra's led, hauling, pulling, wheeling. Personally, I'd pass. Toyota's are known for reliability, but they are still machines. With abuse, they will break. It's probably at the point where it will nickel, dime, and dollar you indefinitely.

You have a nice truck. Plenty of people doing some crazy trails in those 2nd Gen Tundra's. Even stock, they're capable. I'd just use your current truck.

I as thinking $3000...and fix the headgasket...and use it as a beater. So when you flip it on its' roof you don't cry like you would with the '14.

phsycle

Adventurer
I as thinking $3000...and fix the headgasket...and use it as a beater. So when you flip it on its' roof you don't cry like you would with the '14.

You talking rock crawling? Get a RZR!

I'm too old and too busy to be under the truck every weekend as well. I'd rather be out driving. :D

badmotofing3r

At $3K...sounds like a pretty good deal to me.

What are the odds of just getting the head gasket fixed and see how it goes? Is the head damaged? You can pick those up for like $300 and under.

I've thought of this too.

He has driven it a little while thinking it was a bad injector. Replaced that and still had problems. Coolant is coming out of the exhaust. No coolant in the oil. Think that cylinder is ruined though?

ITTOG

Why would you want a high mileage 04 when you already have a 14? it seems you are throwing good money at a bad truck (due to unknowns) when you already have a good truck. Just use that money and upgrade the one you have.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Clutch

<---Pass
I've thought of this too.

He has driven it a little while thinking it was a bad injector. Replaced that and still had problems. Coolant is coming out of the exhaust. No coolant in the oil. Think that cylinder is ruined though?

I would do a compression/leak down test to see. If that doesn't get the answers you need, going to have to pull the head.

Or save the fussing and toss a low mile used engine in there.

badmotofing3r

If you're comfortable doing the work yourself, do it. If you're going to rely on others to do the work for you, I wouldn't touch that truck with a 10 foot pole. Nothing special in that list of mods, and a whole lot of old/used/absused truck that will need a ton of work.

I would definitely probably install it with him. He's smarter with that stuff than me.

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
At $3K...sounds like a pretty good deal to me.

What are the odds of just getting the head gasket fixed and see how it goes? Is the head damaged? You can pick those up for like $300 and under.

Yea I’d do this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

badmotofing3r

Do you guys think that the block itself was damaged at all when it overheated on him?

I mean if I can talk him down a little bit. Buy a cylinder head and replace it. I'd save a lot of money.

He said it overheated pulling his camper. Said that his coolant was low. Well it was low cause it blew out the exhaust haha.

I'm looking at all aspects here. Like just putting some money into my 14 and use the piss out of it. Like a truck should be.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78