Hey Vortec Guys! / Sierra pickup / Suburban / Yukon etc - Finally has Index!

rayra

Expedition Leader
hmm, wasn't aware they had a manifold like that. In plastic no less. Is there a way to engineer that out / replace it with metal, or even brazed copper pipes?
--

I've been slowly dinging up my already aging Sub, the pass door paint upper surfaces wrecked by the previous owner with a buffer, the driver side keyed, now with clear coat patches degrading on the hood and brow over the windshield. Been considering various painting schemes. A long time ago I painted a few vehicles in a friend's detached garage, made a spray booth with poly tarping, borrowed a lot of space heaters. Came out ok but a lot of work. The Sub would have to be done in my driveway. even considered doing it one piece at a time, dismounting and setting up a booth in my cluttered attached 2-car. But again a lot of work. And I really want to do a color change from black to something like Toyota's 'Quicksand', a sort of medium brown with a bit of yellow. And that's a lot of work. Around these parts of L.A> far more money for a pro job than I care to spend, even if I could afford it.
So I started giving serious consideration to using bedliner products. Especially the roll-on variety. THAT I can do in my driveway. And I think given my building and crafts skills, can do a really decent job of it. And it would cost about $500-600 total. That's only 10% of what I paid for the vehicle.

http://monstaliner.com/
http://www.monstaliner.com/forms/monstaliner_colors.htm

'Desert Sand', 'Yank My Doodle', lol their Coyote Brown color is named 'Super Genius', 'Pass the Bubbly' looks closest to the Toyota Quicksand color I've been talking about.

I've ordered samples of those, should have them in a week or so.

Monstaliner bedliner review (Jurassic Park Jeep)

I figure I can do the whole thing in 3-4 days, stripping and masking and even doing all the jambs. Only problem with 'Baby Poop Brown' colors is I have a gray interior. The black exterior trims will go along with those browns nicely. Maybe I can sell off my newish gray front seat covers and get some brown or black. Maybe even swap much of the interior with someone with a black interior that's tired of scorching their butt and arms. Then again we're planning to move to an even hotter desert place for a couple years.

Overlandtowater

hmm, wasn't aware they had a manifold like that. In plastic no less. Is there a way to engineer that out / replace it with metal, or even brazed copper pipes?
--

I've been slowly dinging up my already aging Sub, the pass door paint upper surfaces wrecked by the previous owner with a buffer, the driver side keyed, now with clear coat patches degrading on the hood and brow over the windshield. Been considering various painting schemes. A long time ago I painted a few vehicles in a friend's detached garage, made a spray booth with poly tarping, borrowed a lot of space heaters. Came out ok but a lot of work. The Sub would have to be done in my driveway. even considered doing it one piece at a time, dismounting and setting up a booth in my cluttered attached 2-car. But again a lot of work. And I really want to do a color change from black to something like Toyota's 'Quicksand', a sort of medium brown with a bit of yellow. And that's a lot of work. Around these parts of L.A> far more money for a pro job than I care to spend, even if I could afford it.
So I started giving serious consideration to using bedliner products. Especially the roll-on variety. THAT I can do in my driveway. And I think given my building and crafts skills, can do a really decent job of it. And it would cost about $500-600 total. That's only 10% of what I paid for the vehicle.

http://monstaliner.com/
http://www.monstaliner.com/forms/monstaliner_colors.htm

'Desert Sand', 'Yank My Doodle', lol their Coyote Brown color is named 'Super Genius', 'Pass the Bubbly' looks closest to the Toyota Quicksand color I've been talking about.

I've ordered samples of those, should have them in a week or so.

Monstaliner bedliner review (Jurassic Park Jeep)

I figure I can do the whole thing in 3-4 days, stripping and masking and even doing all the jambs. Only problem with 'Baby Poop Brown' colors is I have a gray interior. The black exterior trims will go along with those browns nicely. Maybe I can sell off my newish gray front seat covers and get some brown or black. Maybe even swap much of the interior with someone with a black interior that's tired of scorching their butt and arms. Then again we're planning to move to an even hotter desert place for a couple years.
Rayra I too like the Monstaliner , I plan on doing the rockers and bottom of the doors on my sub with it when I get the rust repaired. I just need to figure out which color matches the closest to the tan interior of my truck.

rayra

Expedition Leader
Monstaliner will send out 6 carded color samples for free.

Got the color sample cards I requested from Monstaliner. Prompt service, along with several info and marketing fliers. They're also announcing a color-matching line of brushable / sprayable paint, for covering door jambs and hinges and such.

Colors on the hood in full sun

monstasamples01.jpg

monstasamples02.jpg

I lean towards the more yellow coloration, which they name 'Pass the Bubbly'. Maybe too much 'Grey Poupon' in my life. Or too much Afrika Korps armor model-building as a yout, it's very close to 'Sandgelb'. It's that or 'Desert Sand' on the far left.

monstasamples03.jpg

I've got to talk to some car detailers. My vehicle paint might still be salvageable. But once that sort of clear coat breakdown starts to happen it's hard to get ahead of without a lot of expense. Either by detailer or the full suite of Monstaliner application, would cost my in the high hundreds either way. But the difference in appearance would be pretty severe. Not sure if I'm ready to go full 'offroad basher coated in bedliner' yet. Kinda still want to pretend my 17yr-old Sub looks nice.

Dirtysailor

Did my CCSB LBZ Duramax totally coated and love the Monstaliner. Two gallons did the whole truck. Had it two years and no more trail rakes from overhung branches.

nitro_rat

Lunchbox Lockers
I cringe every time I see a full bedlinered rig. Very seldom is it done well. Most end up with streaks that I think come from washing (like when you pressure wash concrete and can't get the same level of "clean" everywhere). Most also seem to fade after a few years. There really is no going back from it either.

I saw a nice CJ-7 burn down on I-10 once. Extended highway driving got the exhaust hot enough to ignite the linered tub (just the inside of the tub was done). It burned like a pile of tires...

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
I had some engine trouble this week with my 2011 2500 6.0. A misfire during low rpm/high load conditions, like climbing a steepish hill at highway speeds in 6th gear. Scanner said misfire at cyl #5. Stuttering engine, flashing check engine light etc. I could make it stop by manually downshifting.
I bought the truck at 90k and now it's at 125k. I knew factory plugs were good for 100k and it had non factory NGK iridium plugs in it. I figured I should be good till almost 200k before I needed to change those so I skipped checking them.
I swapped #5 coil with #3 and #5 plug wire with #7, no change. I then swapped #5 injector with #3, again no change. Finally I decided to pull the plugs. They were the worst plugs I've ever seen. I'm surprised it ran as well as it did. The center electrode was completely gone on most of them and the gap was between 70 and 90 instead of 40. I replaced the plugs with denso units because Napa didn't have AC Delco in stock. Runs good again and I wouldn't be surprised if I picked up a mpg.

I checked the specs on those NGK units and they're only rated for 50k. Clearly I shouldn't have assumed all platinum/iridium plugs are good for 100k and I should have checked the plugs first.

nitro_rat

Lunchbox Lockers
Buddha, I only run the factory plugs in my vehicles for this reason. Some require changing more frequently than others.

Overlandtowater

I had some engine trouble this week with my 2011 2500 6.0. A misfire during low rpm/high load conditions, like climbing a steepish hill at highway speeds in 6th gear. Scanner said misfire at cyl #5. Stuttering engine, flashing check engine light etc. I could make it stop by manually downshifting.
I bought the truck at 90k and now it's at 125k. I knew factory plugs were good for 100k and it had non factory NGK iridium plugs in it. I figured I should be good till almost 200k before I needed to change those so I skipped checking them.
I swapped #5 coil with #3 and #5 plug wire with #7, no change. I then swapped #5 injector with #3, again no change. Finally I decided to pull the plugs. They were the worst plugs I've ever seen. I'm surprised it ran as well as it did. The center electrode was completely gone on most of them and the gap was between 70 and 90 instead of 40. I replaced the plugs with denso units because Napa didn't have AC Delco in stock. Runs good again and I wouldn't be surprised if I picked up a mpg.

I checked the specs on those NGK units and they're only rated for 50k. Clearly I shouldn't have assumed all platinum/iridium plugs are good for 100k and I should have checked the plugs first.
Dang that's a lot of work to find out it was the plugs...….

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
Buddha, I only run the factory plugs in my vehicles for this reason. Some require changing more frequently than others.
Yeah, the Densos I installed are supposed to be good for 100k but I’ll change them out well before then.

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
I worked at GMC for almost 9 years. When we did headers on a co-workers 6.0 we installed the NGK plugs that it Texas Speed pkg came with. He immediately noticed it didn't run as smooth. We put factory plugs back in a couple months later and it ran great.
Some engines definitely don't like certain plugs. When I bought my '01 Mustang GT the guy said it would spark knock on hard accell if he didn't run premium. I changed out the Bosh platinum plugs for factory spec units and the problem went away.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3