HID kit on 2001 XJ with DRL (daytime running lights)

Nikson

Explorer
Didnt really think about it being a problem, or really didnt even think about it at all until had the kit installed and pulled out of the garage...

One of the ballasts seems not to want to work at all, just got one light working now.

Any suggestions on how to approach this, where to locate the DRL module or what might be another cause of this problem, although I am pretty sure it has something to do with the DRL getting in the way of the HID setup.

My XJ is the Canadian version I guess, being that I've got the DRL & engine block heater for them cold winters.

Any words of suggestion are much appreciated.....

Nikson

Explorer
Get rid of the HID kit; it's most likely illegal anyhow...
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38219

Being that I am around local sheriffs all the time, and one of the stopped by during install, nothing was mentioned about "illegality" of what I was doing, he said it was actually better looking then what it used to be.

I had the IPF set up before.

Now I've put in VISION head units with aluminum housing, and a H/L 55W HID setup, and dont really see what can be "illegal" about it.

My factory BMW xenons are just as bright, or might be a bit brighter...

P.s. Searched all those pages you suggested before I've posted here for about 3 hours... and there is nothing about DRL module setup and HID ballasts.

Root Moose

Expedition Leader
My S2000 is a California car. It had the CTC DRL module added to it when it crossed the border. It is actually set up "wrong" and powers the HID bulbs instead of the aux.

Anyway, my point was that there should be nothing special about the DRL and HID playing nice together. If it doesn't work I'm guessing you have a ballast problem? Check the obvious stuff first. Are you soldering or using crimp connectors?

Please let us know if there is any technicalities to share. I'll likely add HIDs in the nearish future.

Nikson

Explorer
at this point DRL is interfering in a way that it is underpowering the headlight system by 50%. Ballasts are set up only at full power option as far as I understand and also been told by other guys.

We set everything up in my rig as far as connections, buddy that helps me is from professional install shop, and he says they've come across DRL vehicles before (not him personally), and guys had a "hoot" trying to figure it out.

So, we'll keep you informed.

At this point, if anyone is aware of the easiest fix / suggestion, I would gladly appreciate it. Heard of some guys simply disconnecting DRL module/ or cutting some ORANGE/WHITE wire going to DRL module to fix this issue, but at that point you loose high beam indicator, which is not an issue.

b52

hid's

I had a "PROLUMEN" 6000K HID PRO kit on my 2000 XJ which I paid close to $500.00 CDN for. With that being said, I'm from Canada and I experienced the exact same issue as you did as I also have DRL's :(.

What would happen was, firstly, the lights would turn on automatically at full blast even though I didn't turn the lights on (which is what the DRL is supposed to do) but the problem was that the DRL unit only sent 50% power to the lights and it wasn't enough juice to power the lights so one of three things happened; Either the lights never turned on or one would turn on and the other would be dead or one would turn on and the other would flicker on and off.

My first solution: UN-PLUG THE STUPID DRL. - Your lucky, you don't live in an area where it is the law to have DRL's - Why would you want them anyway? Regardless, this worked.

My second and final solution: Get rid of the HID kit. The HID's caused me so many problems that it just wasn't worth it and I couldn't count on them every time I went out at night as they were inconsistent. I went a whole 6 months and they worked beautifully and then I started having issues, then they would work again and then they wouldn't and so on and so forth...

I hope this helps.

Oh and for some extra juice, I am running IPF headlights with GE nighthawk bulbs and the ARB headlight lume upgrade. Does the job and I've also got a set of Hella 500's on the front and it is more then enough light in black out conditions. The HID's were kind of ricer for my taste anyways.

- Thane

Nikson

Explorer
I had a "PROLUMEN" 6000K HID PRO kit on my 2000 XJ which I paid close to $500.00 CDN for. With that being said, I'm from Canada and I experienced the exact same issue as you did as I also have DRL's :(.

What would happen was, firstly, the lights would turn on automatically at full blast even though I didn't turn the lights on (which is what the DRL is supposed to do) but the problem was that the DRL unit only sent 50% power to the lights and it wasn't enough juice to power the lights so one of three things happened; Either the lights never turned on or one would turn on and the other would be dead or one would turn on and the other would flicker on and off.

My first solution: UN-PLUG THE STUPID DRL. - Your lucky, you don't live in an area where it is the law to have DRL's - Why would you want them anyway? Regardless, this worked.

My second and final solution: Get rid of the HID kit. The HID's caused me so many problems that it just wasn't worth it and I couldn't count on them every time I went out at night as they were inconsistent. I went a whole 6 months and they worked beautifully and then I started having issues, then they would work again and then they wouldn't and so on and so forth...

I hope this helps.

Oh and for some extra juice, I am running IPF headlights with GE nighthawk bulbs and the ARB headlight lume upgrade. Does the job and I've also got a set of Hella 500's on the front and it is more then enough light in black out conditions. The HID's were kind of ricer for my taste anyways.

- Thane

Its all been figured out, and everything works just fine. My HID kits has a lifetime warranty, so if anything was to happen, I will not have any problems as far as replacing any of the ballast & such.

As far as for quality of light, I cannot say enough words on how much difference they make in comparison to IPFs with high wattage bulbs (not even talking about stock ones).

There is no legal/illegal question on my end as far as I am informed (have many friends in police force).

Have been considering installing HID kits into my Driving Lights in the bumper, or just go with Rigids LED fixture...

CMARJEEP

Observer
You can take it to the dealer and they can program the computer with a DRB scan tool to turn the DRLs off.

Quoted from WJJEEPS.COM (I know you don't have a WJ but it will be the same process)
For USA residents who have purchased Canadian vehicles the daytime running light (DRL) feature can be turned off. All that is required is a visit to the dealer who will reprogram the country code. The DRL relay can be left in place.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk