Hilux in the US

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
... And to avoid future battles and flames I built this truck for myself and not for someone else, I was on a minimal budget, I build/change things as they come up and if I didn't have the 3.4 swap done I would have considered a diesel conversion.

Sorry if I needled you about the back-story, but... Flames??? WHAT?!?!?! That is AWESOME hahahahaha. I thought, from the pictures, that it was a real DC Hilux that you'd maybe body swapped, not a 3rd Gen STC PU and a 2nd Gen 4Runner worked together. That is SO cool and looks great. Built on a "tight budget" or no, you've got a great looking/unique 3rd Gen truck with a 3.4 swap and E-Locker. Diesel would have been cool (I'm clearly biased) and I'm sure there's some stuff that you'd like to have done different (always is) but that truck is awesome as is. I especially love the "If I can't buy it I'l build it" mentality cause I'm right there with you. Hell I'd LOVE to have my Diesel in a 3rd Gen Quad-cab P/U and do a Ute-bed on the back for a custom "camper box" that I could load/unload as needed.

Cheers

Dave

Last edited:

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
That is very cool. Jealous. I also thought it was an import Double Cab, but the LHD was kind of curious but very faithful to the factory version.

16.jpg

Last edited:

JCMatthews

Tour Guide
I wondered about the difference in the beds. Yours doesn't have the reinforced bed rail headache rack and hooks, but other than that, I was convinced.

Last edited:

Wavephf

Observer
I also considered the ute bed for this one as I built one for last last truck but I dont think I will build one for this truck. I made the 7' over the 6'3' do I could fit my dirt bike in the bed without turning it sideways or leaving the tailgate down. The side rail were removable and I planned to make a bracket on them so they could be used as ramps. I was wishing I still had the truck this weekend when I was hauling rock for landscaping. Here is a picture of my 88 toyota truck.

Box Rocket

Wavephf, excellent work on the double cab! Very impressed with how you made that work. The mid 90s trucks are my favorite for the body lines and I would love a double cab from that era to replace my DC Tacoma. At Cruise Moab last week we had a couple guys from Canada on the trail with us that had double cab hiluxes. I was drooling all day long over those trucks. Turbo diesel, RHD, solid front axle, dual transfer cases, lifted, 35's. Seriously great trucks.
I was lusting after this silver truck

Now I'm watching closely what Land Cruisers Direct brings in from Japan. They have brought in some outstanding Cruisers and a few Surfs and Hiluxes. I'm on the search.

Wavephf

Observer
The pictures I have from the early stages are very bad due to my phone cover and smoke in the garage but here are a few. I will soon make a complete build thread.

In these next 2 you can see how far I had to move the axle back

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk