Hilux_Max's New D4D Hilux from OZ

dsrtdcab

Adventurer
beautiful rig! I love the new body style built up the way yours is. The color is nice as well, you dont see many in the tan. I am personally a big fan;)

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Max:

Funny you should mention the Maxxis Creepy Crawlers. I was on the new & improved Maxxis website a few days ago and did a search by size (a new feature) to see if they offered a 255/85R16 in other than the Bighorns and Bravo A/Ts which I have. I was surprised to see the Creepy Crawler pop-up.

23/32" is an extra 5/32" of tread depth over the Bighorns and Toyo MTs in 255/85. I would love to try a set of the Creepy Crawlers, but I really prefer a tire with good on-road manners that allows me to drive long distances comfortably before getting off-highway. I assume the bias-ply Creepy Crawlers are not the smoothest tire and surely they are quite loud looking at the tread.

Hilux_Max said:
............. snip

Tyre wise, (they'll need replacing at the end of the year) cant decide between new Hankook MT's in 295/75x16 (33.6x11.6x16) or Toyo MT's in 255/85x16 (33.5x10.3x16). I know theres a width difference, the Hankooks will nicely fill my guards but I think the Toyo's would be more practical. I really want a tough and aggressive tyre.

If I manage to get a cheap small set of tyres for everyday duties, I was also wondering about the Maxxis Creepy Crawlers in 255/85x16. Im surprised that nobody on these forums has come across or mentioned them yet-

http://www.maxxis.com/AutomobileLight-Truck/Extreme-Off-Road/M8090-Creepy-Crawler.aspx

255/85x16 measures 33.5x10.0 x 16, I reckon they'd be awesome aired down but like I mentioned, they'd be only used for strictly offroad duties. what do you guys think?

anyway, thats me rig, something different I guess.......:kewl:

Blizz

Observer
Very nice Lux you got there.

I've fitted the same OEM intercooler hood scoop in my 3.0TD 4Runner hehehe

David

4hilux

Observer
Maxx............hey mate, wheres those photos of that small creek crossing ya did...........huh???
:)
And stop teasing these poor Yanks here.........

Hilux_Max

Adventurer
Why not tease them? they tease us with all the aftermarket goodies they get to fit on their rig, and tease us with how lenient their road regulations are over there in regards to vehicle modifications. Wish we could do half the stuff over here.

anyway, small update, purchased a new set of tyres on friday, Silverstone MT117 Sport in 285/75x16 -

MT-117%20SPORT.JPG

The old buckshots still have a little tread on them but I will be fitting them to me dads 6x4 box trailer that I plan to renovate, restore, and raise.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
That's a very nice looking tread design! Probably loud but they look functional; deep side lugs but with a solid center rib. Nice. I think you do have us beat with tire choices down there :)

4hilux

Observer
Hate to skite, but we reckon we have you guys beat in a few areas 'down here'........
:) :)

Yo Max - you don't go into any real steep terrain, I take it, having now brought 'directional' tires........???

Last edited:

Hilux_Max

Adventurer
yeah, occasionally I do when I go to the Victorian High Country. Why is that?

I understand that directional rubber doesnt work too good in reverse so Im assuming you mean If I have to go backwards down a steep hill? am I correct?

They are a good tyre, and yeah being directional might have its disadvantages but for the price I couldnt go past em.

4hilux

Observer
No mate - its when you're going FORWARD down a steep hill that there tends to be issues..........

Sometimes, if you're going to be doing a bit, pays to swap frt wheels side to side just as ya hit the tracks............. (this also helps for when trying to reverse outa mud holes).

You might find they take a bita getting used to for a start.......;)

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Hilux_Max said:
anyway, small update, purchased a new set of tyres on friday, Silverstone MT117 Sport in 285/75x16 -

Those are some mean looking tires. Will be interested in a long term report on how you like them in back-country conditions.

Hilux_Max

Adventurer
got em delivered today.....the tread is just under 17mm high! sorry, dont know how to convert it into a measure you Yanks understand....hopefully someone can help?

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
According to my tread depth gauge, 17mm is the same as 21/32". That is some serious tread. My Maxxis Bighorns in 255/85 come with 19/32" (as do many off-road tires).

Show us some pics with the new rubber when you can :)

Hilux_Max said:
got em delivered today.....the tread is just under 17mm high! sorry, dont know how to convert it into a measure you Yanks understand....hopefully someone can help?

Hilux_Max

Adventurer
Hers a pic of the tyres when I got them delivered to work....

27102008427.jpg

Am getting them fitted this saturday morning and am taking her offroad locally for a shakedown sunday morning to see if Ill have any rubbing issues under full uptravel and to see if Ill need to do more cutting/trimming for when I hit harder stuff.

heeltoe989

Explorer
Hilux_Max said:
Hers a pic of the tyres when I got them delivered to work....

27102008427.jpg

Am getting them fitted this saturday morning and am taking her offroad locally for a shakedown sunday morning to see if Ill have any rubbing issues under full uptravel and to see if Ill need to do more cutting/trimming for when I hit harder stuff.

Those are a killer looking tire! Should do very well in the deep stuff.

heeltoe989

Explorer
Hilux_Max said:

11/16"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal