Hitt Wash Crossing

dhackney

Expedition Leader
30 July, 2007
Hitt Wash
Santa Maria Mountains
Northwest Arizona, USA

The white Toyota Tacoma pickup slowly moved into the water, dipping its front wheels in gradually and proceeding until the rears were also half submerged. It paused on the river’s shelf with the water in the slack side pool lapping gently against the rock rails running from the front to rear wheel wells. The rails would protect the lower body of the Tacoma from rocks, but they could do nothing to protect it from the raging torrent splashing the hood.

The Tacoma paused, then rolled down off the shelf into the river channel. First the front wheels, then the rears. They were fully committed now. No turning back, no way to reverse back up the step, the only way out was the opposite river bank. All they had to do was traverse the boiling, rolling, exploding flood waters that separated them from dry land.

The truck moved forward gingerly, out from the protection of the near river bank. As soon as they entered the flood current, the rear of the truck was immediately lifted and swung downstream. As I watched from the cab of the Fuso, the Tacoma started moving down the flood waters, caught in the roaring current.

Time slowed dramatically. I had plenty of time to consider friction coefficients, buoyancy factors and rates of acceleration. The acceleration rate was relevant because about six meters downstream a line of large semi-submersed boulders crossed the flood swollen river. In the milliseconds that I processed the information it became clear that the downstream side of the Tacoma was going to slam into those boulders. And just as certainly the relentless current that was piling up water higher than the handles on the upstream door would lift that upstream side and flip the truck on its top, trapping the occupants under the muddy, debris filled water.

Inside the Tacoma were two friends and my wife, Stephanie.

For the rest of the story see the PDF document at: http://www.hackneys.com/travel/docs/hitt-wash-crossing.pdf

Doug

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
Looks like one of those crossings to silence the snorkel debate!

(edit: I see it already has :) )

Last edited:
"Scott recreates the crossing"

Are you guys crazy ?!

Nevermind :)

And actually on-topic...somewhat ...

I know the lights on make for better photos, but on my first ever water crossing like that ... years ago ... I broke a headlight lens.

I never hit anything, but have to imagine that it was the thermal shock that did it. Since then, I try to let the lamps cool before such crossings.

HeHeHe ... Land Rover actually replaced that lens under warranty since there was no evidence of impact breeakin it.

Alaska Mike

ExPo Moderator/Eye Candy
I actually went back to stock headlights after I filled my HID housings during one crossing, destroying the bulbs. Those seals only kept out the water for so long, and then...

I try to keep as little electrical stuff on as possible during a water crossing. The alternator has enough trouble with all of the water flowing through it.

crawler#976

Expedition Leader
IMO...

First and foremost, Scott is a professional driver. Kudos to making it safely.

There is no reason to attempt a crossing like that for fun.

None.

The crossing shown (again IMO) is right on the ragged edge. I've watched a larger truck than that (a lifted F250 tall boy) get swept down stream in a similar crossing, and have had to risk MY life to help them reach safety. Watching the people crawl out of the passenger side window while the truck is pivoting against a rock was an experiance I don't need to participate in again.

Last edited:

Alaska Mike

ExPo Moderator/Eye Candy
I trust Scott's judgement more than my own. If he felt it was OK to recreate the crossing, I'll defer to him. It looks like it was fast-moving, if not particularly deep. With a hard-bottomed spot for fording that had sufficient traction to keep you from being swept too far down the stream, it could be kinda fun. Certainly not something you see in the southwest all that often- not that I recommend playing in flash-floods.

Scott Brady

Founder
The length of the deep section was short, making it look dramatic, but quite controlled in reality.

Trying the same in a SWB open top Jeep would have yielded much different results :)

dhackney

Expedition Leader
This shot will give you an idea of the depth. The Fuso is designed for water crossings of up to 1 meter. The lower rub rail on the rig is ~1 meter high, depending on where you are measuring along the length of the chassis. In this shot, the lower rub rail is completely immersed. (BTW, all the storage boxes were bone dry after this crossing, even the lower boxes that are submerged in this shot.)
2007-07-30-30D-IMG_1529-crop-small.jpg

This video clip will give you an idea of the speed of the current.
http://www.hackneys.com/video/current.wmv

This is Scott's return run back across to where we started. In this clip you can see how the current swings the rear of the truck downstream.
http://www.hackneys.com/video/return-run.wmv

These clips are Scott's run across the wash. One is a sequence of still shots, the other is full motion video. Neither reflect the current's effect on the truck that happened on Anais' initial run across the wash.
http://www.hackneys.com/video/scotts-run-stills.wmv

http://www.hackneys.com/video/scotts-run-video.wmv

Rockcrawler

Adventurer
Nicely done... just don't let people around here see that. I hear there were 9 swift water rescues yesterday afternoon alone from people crossing washes that they shouldn't have.

lowenbrau

Explorer
It really comes down to experience and ability. (unfortunately you get one via the other). Personally I think that some of the obstacles at Moab look far more dangerous and yet people run them with out incident all summer long.

I was in Alaska for most of this month going ten days off road at a time and we crossed fast flowing rivers 3-4' deep on a daily basis. They all looked worse than they felt but the deeper ones were well analyzed with alternate strategies if the crossing didn't go as planned. It would have been daunting if it had been the first time I had experienced it.

With the 37" tires I didn't need the snorkel :wings:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach