Hitt Wash Crossing

kcowyo

ExPo Original
dhackney said:
This is Scott's return run back across to where we started. In this clip you can see how the current swings the rear of the truck downstream.

So there is some benefit to all that weight he's packing around....:cow:

Great stills and videos Doug!

BigAl

Expedition Leader
That would provide some definite pucker factor:arabia: I once got stuck in a swollen river b/c I forgot to lock my hubs in and could not crawl out the far bank:( I had to back downstram on to a gravel bar, get out in knee deep water and lock them in. I always double check now:)

Last edited:

dhackney

Expedition Leader
lowenbrau said:
It really comes down to experience and ability. (unfortunately you get one via the other). ... It would have been daunting if it had been the first time I had experienced it.

If we hadn't had Scott along prodding us to push our envelope, we'd still be sitting next to this Forest Service guy, who told Scott "I'm not crossing that thing!"

2007-07-30-30D-IMG_1481-crop-small.jpg

We were out there to learn the limits of ourselves and to learn, to the extent possible, the limits of the rig. Scott was outstanding at spoon feeding us experiences so that little by little we discovered that we could do a lot more than we ever thought we could, and that the truck is capable of much more than we will probably ever ask of it.

2007-07-29-30D-IMG_1349-crop-small.jpg

We would never have crossed even the small wash in the shot above, much less the big one in the videos, if Scott hadn't been there scouting them out for us. Now, having crossed a few, we know what we'd need to do if we were alone, how we would scout the crossing, rig for safety, etc., and most importantly, that we can do it and the truck can too.

And yes, there is something to be said for carrying around a good percentage of the weight of Western Civilization. The Fuso was completely oblivious to the current and still handled the other obstacles easily. To say nothing of being able to retreat into the camper for a warm and dry lunch during the downpour. I'm not sure Scott fully appreciated my radio call announcing we were about to start the rainy afternoon matinee action movie complete with popcorn. :chowtime:

We designed and built the Fuso to traverse "bad roads" in 3rd world areas. We know now that it will handle anything up to the point of its fundamental limitations, i.e. 16" wheels and low hanging pumpkins. It will take us down just about any market road we've ever seen on the GS and quite a few of the village roads we've been on. That's all we ask of the design. No jeep trails, but anything a local delivery truck goes down, we know we can get there.

Regarding the washes, if this had been a real world situation, we would have waited out the water. We had enough food and water with us to hang out in the forest for at least 2-3 weeks, and there were plenty of trails to explore on the bikes. The #1 killer of people on sailboats is forcing a passage due to an arbitrary schedule. We didn't have to be anywhere, so we would have waited until the water dropped.

As to the hubs, I painted them so I could avoid just that type of Doh! situation, for which I am known so well...

2007-07-30-30D-IMG_1652-small.jpg

articulate

Expedition Leader
crawler#976 said:
IMO...

First and foremost, Scott is a professional driver. Kudos to making it safely.

There is no reason to attempt a crossing like that for fun.

None.

Your signature rings hilariously with this statement above:
"Ordinarily he was insane, but he had lucid moments when he was merely stupid." Heinrich Heine

:REOutArchery02:

kcowyo

ExPo Original
dhackney said:
And yes, there is something to be said for carrying around a good percentage of the weight of Western Civilization. The Fuso was completely oblivious to the current and still handled the other obstacles easily.

Actually I was refering to the 3 tons of fun that Brady is packing around, but now that you mention the Fuso, I'm curious how the Bigfoot is holding up during the break-in process.

Are the factory interior and features holding up to the trails so far? I know there was extensive work done to it, but is the factory build quality going to be up to the task? I've read great reviews of the Bigfoot product over the years but I've never seen one heading where you're going and adapted to a Fuso for exploring 3rd world countries.

Just curious as to your impressions so far -

dhackney

Expedition Leader
kcowyo said:
Are the factory interior and features holding up to the trails so far? I know there was extensive work done to it, but is the factory build quality going to be up to the task?

Full time utilization to date: 60 days
Distance to date: >6,500 miles / 10,461 KM
Rough roads, gravel, dirt, dust, rock, rivers, etc: Lots
Temps: mid 30s F / 1.6 C to >110 F / 43.3 C
Elevation: sea level to >11k feet / 3,353 meters

Bigfoot structural failures / defects: zero (0)
Bigfoot component failures / defects: zero (0)
Bigfoot trim / decorative failures / defects: one (1) - rear step non-skid adhesive failing

We have experienced zero problems with the Bigfoot camper, its factory components, etc. I have inspected it carefully a couple of times and found no signs of structural stress, cracks, etc.

We made no reinforcement or strenthening modifications in the basic structure of the camper or its components. The only reinforcements that I made were in the 1x1" frame supporting the drawers.

Bigfoot camper and components maintenance to date has included:
- yesterday I tightened the Phillips screw that holds the bathroom vent handle on

The major modifications to the camper included:
- removing the stock house battery & compartment to create more storage space under the sink
- removing panel under stink and installation of a matching cabinet door for access to the new storage space
- creating a larger access opening for mounting of the camper interconnect panel in the lower driver's side
- creating access opening for mounting chassis interconnect panel in forward end of bottom
- adding Blue Sea Systems AC/DC distribution panel
- adding a panel to house system remote controls/monitors above forward seat of the dinette
- adding cooling fan in cabinet above the dinette
- adding halogen reading lamps to dinette
- adding electronics interface panel to dinette
- adding TV, DVD & wireless headphone bracket to berth
- adding Hella fans to berth
- adding LED courtesy night lights to cabin
- adding fire extinguisher & flashlight (torch) mounts to galley & berth areas
- adding transfer pump, 1 micron filter and UV sterilization array to galley
- adding stainless steel grill to stock LP genset compartment
- adding four solar panels to roof
- adding various antennas to roof
- adding vent covers to roof
- adding burglar bars over skylights
- adding nerf bar to leading edge of roof
- adding rub rails to sides
- adding tamper resistant screws to all exterior access doors
- adding and modifying plumbing, LP and wiring as required

As an aside, we've had zero failures or maintenance items with the Mitsubishi Fuso chassis.

We've had zero failures with the systems we added to the camper & chassis.

We've had one failure with the custom fabrication. The raw water tank was made conformally with the frame rails, which was a design error. It cracked a tank weld the first time we articulated the frame.

Otherwise, everything worked when we turned it on or energized the system.

Mileage to date is ~10.5 MPG / 4.464 KM/liter / 22.4 l/100KM. That's a mix of freeway, two lane paved, unpaved, unmaintained, flat and mountains, grades up to 16%.

So far, so good. Knock on wood, or my head, whichever is more convenient.

Last edited:

crawler#976

Expedition Leader
What an awesome rig!

The other vid's put things into better perspective - it's a fairly short traverse, but none the less I'll leave that type of crossing to Scott :)

kcowyo

ExPo Original
dhackney said:
We have experienced zero problems with the Bigfoot camper, its factory components, etc. I have inspected it carefully a couple of times and found no signs of structural stress, cracks, etc.

We made no reinforcement or strenthening modifications in the basic structure of the camper or its components.

Great details and results Doug. :clapsmile

What an excellent testament to the Bigfoot line. It seems their positive reputation is for good reason. It certainly will be a boon to their reputation if their camper survives the road you have ahead of you.

The answer to this question may be in the build comments on your site (which I think I'll go peruse again this morning) but I'm curious about your mounting solution to the Fuso. While you're saying no reinforcements to the structure, I just assumed that you had come up with a way to strengthen the factory mounting points or added additional ones.

Did I miss something? Am I getting off-topic?

dhackney

Expedition Leader
kcowyo said:
I just assumed that you had come up with a way to strengthen the factory mounting points or added additional ones.

Did I miss something?

We made no modifications to the factory mounting system.

The camper sits on a 3 point pivot frame that is solidly mounted to the truck frame in the front and pivots at the rear. The pivot frame isolates the camper from any longitudinal torsional twisting of the frame and enables full aticulation of the chassis, and resulting twist of the truck frame (lots), without loading the camper itself with those forces.

We use the four stock tie down points. I did not reinforce them, although I have often wondered if I should have since their backing plates in the camper itself seem pretty miniscule cosidering the loads we put them under.

However, what we've discovered is that the camper and its contents have a pretty cushy ride. Steph rode across town in Ceder City, UT in the camper and reported "nothing moves, nothing squeaks, nothing rattles." We've discovered that we can leave our soap in the soap dish in the shower regardless of the road or trail and it stays put (even in the shot earlier in the thread where the camper is rolled to the max of our comfort level).

Here's a clue on how the camper and its content ride. We pulled into a campground in Idaho and within 60 seconds the inevitable began: "What is this thing?" etc. The wife of the couple circled the rig. She stuck her head around the side and asked me "Are these yours? Did you leave these here?"

It was the driver and four square head screws that hold our stock LP compartment door shut that I'd taken out and laid on the back bumper when we were at the LP fill station 65 miles back. About 35 miles of that was over a very rough, frost heaved, potholed and cold patched two lane.

2007-07-04-SD550-IMG_7337-crop-small.jpg

So, maybe we don't need to worry so much about the camper mount...

I attribute 90% of this to the 3 point pivot frame 50/50 shocks, the custom rear sway bar, the custom Deaver springs and the Bilstein shocks.

A couple of videos that show some of the chassis/camper movement:

Longitudinal flex:
http://www.hackneys.com/video/hackney-fuso-scrossing.wmv

A little bit of lateral movement of the 3 point pivot frame:
http://www.hackneys.com/video/hackney-fuso-step-crossing.wmv

More on the pivot frame at:
http://www.hackneys.com/mitsu/index-pivot-frame.htm

Here's a thread I built on the camper tie downs & box seals over at ExCamp:
http://www.expeditioncampers.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=404

Last edited:

dhackney

Expedition Leader
I did some measuring today so you would know how deep the crossing was for Scott's Taco.

Our lower rub rails at the rear axle are 37" / 93.98cm high (this rail is submerged in the following shot)

The hinges of the upper storage boxes at the rear axle are 39.5" / 100.33 cm - 1.003m high (the hinges are submerged in the following shot)

The pressure wave formed by the current against the side of the upper storage boxes on the Fuso is ~ 46" / 116.84cm - 1.168m high.

2007-07-30-30D-IMG_1529-crop-small.jpg

BTW, we unloaded, re-organized, labeled, etc. all the storage boxes today and we did find some moisture under the liner pads in the forward lower upstream box (submerged in this shot), so there was a little leakage there. The upper boxes in this photo were all dry.

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
Water crossings

Those pictures and videos are pretty amazing. As others have mentionned, Scott is a very experienced driver and the results speak for themselves. Personally I would probably turn arround at this point in the trail.

Scott,
Out of curriosity, have you made any other modifications to your Tacoma to improve the water crossing abilities other than the Snokel (i.e. sealed electrical connections and such)?

Cheers :beer:,
P

Scott Brady

Founder
p1michaud said:
Scott,
Out of curriosity, have you made any other modifications to your Tacoma to improve the water crossing abilities other than the Snokel (i.e. sealed electrical connections and such)?

Cheers :beer:,
P

Other than the snorkel, it is just as Mr. Toyoda designed it. :)

One major factor of the 3.4L for water crossings is the lack of distributor. They are coil on plug motors.

Another reason that I love my truck :jumping:

Accrete

Explorer
: ) Greetings from Oregon Coast !

Hi Doug and Stephanie. It was great seeing you two in Warrenton on the Oregon coast. The pictures of your rig shown on the web are nice, and it's even better up close in-the-flesh.

Many happy trails to you two. Your website and blog is great.

Cheers,
Thom

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach