honda cb1100

zimm

Expedition Leader
now, i know jack about bikes, or bike history, but that jack pine triumph desert sled is the coolest bike on the planet.

my question is, would the new cb1100 be a good bike to "sled" up? i think the 70's style is awesome, and other than the 421 pipes in front making it more difficult to make a plate for, i think that would look absolutely, rad man, with a single seat, knobies, and other little dirt bike goodies.

one mans know nothing opinion.

Clutch

<---Pass
When I think CB1100, I do not think desert sled...I think Cafe Racer...

Sure the the Jack Pine is cool looking, I wouldn't own one for riding off pavement (it would be miserable, at least for me I am used to sub 250 lbs machines with a 12" of travel)...that bike is more about impressing the Bettys at Starbucks. There are so many great off road machines available why punish oneself?

...a CB done up in desert sled trim, sure you can do it, but why? So you can look cool on the cover of Overland Journal? Now, in Cafe Racer Trim made for carving up twisties...I could see. ;) It looks cool and does the job at hand well.

Honda CB1100R.jpg

Last edited:

Expedition Leader
You can ride anything off-road if you want to bad enough - when I was young, I rode my 1949 BSA B34 on trails more than once - but I wouldn't do it again now.

Honda invented the transverse 4 and it is a great engine and frame to be sure, but too wide and too low with too much stuff hanging off of it to be a good off-pavement platform IMO.

zimm

Expedition Leader
When I think CB1100, I do not think desert sled...I think Cafe Racer...

Sure the the Jack Pine is cool looking, I wouldn't own one for riding off pavement (it would be miserable, at least for me I am used to sub 250 lbs machines with a 12" of travel)...that bike is more about impressing the Bettys at Starbucks. There are so many great off road machines available why punish oneself?

...a CB done up in desert sled trim, sure you can do it, but why? So you can look cool on the cover of Overland Journal? Now, in Cafe Racer Trim made for carving up twisties...I could see. ;) It looks cool and does the job at hand well.

View attachment 136143

Oh yea, just to look cool. Like I said, I know nothing about bikes. Then again, looking cool is the only reason to buy a retro look bike of any type, as you can always put your cash towards a new design that will do it all better..

Clutch

<---Pass
Oh yea, just to look cool. Like I said, I know nothing about bikes. .

Ahh ok, I can dig it. :cool:

You may want to look at Wrenchmonkees. for ideas, I "think" that is direction you are looking for.

Those Northern Euros need something to do during those long dark winters...

http://www.wrenchmonkees.com/motorcycles

motorcycle_monkee_33_16_2.jpg motorcycle_monkee_40_8.jpeg

motorcycle_monkee_6_1.jpeg

Then again, looking cool is the only reason to buy a retro look bike of any type, as you can always put your cash towards a new design that will do it all better.

Might be able to get away it with this retro looking bike, as far as modern performance and such.

husqvarna510retro1.jpg

Last edited:

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
Kermit, that racer build is rad. I've always wanted to find a nicely kept late 80's CB1 and give it a little cafe-ish build.

Clutch

<---Pass
Kermit, that racer build is rad. I've always wanted to find a nicely kept late 80's CB1 and give it a little cafe-ish build.

I believe that is a factory built concept for the Japanese market. I don't know if it made production yet.

CB1100R_2.jpg

Yeah, a Cafe Racer is on the list....it is a loooong list of want-sees. ;)

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
In 1993 I had a Ducati 900ss CR. Cafe Racer. Back then I'd be getting gas and someone would say, "What happened to the rest of your fairings? Is the engine supposed to stick out like that?"

Cafe Racers are pretty trendy these days now. Still cool as hell, though.

Clutch

<---Pass
Nice! Funny how people are (were)...

Totally forgot I had a Honda 919....cafe(ish).....now 600's put out more HP.

Can't find a picture of that bike...setup kinda similar to this.

122_0336_06z+honda_919+rear_side_view.jpg

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
now, i know jack about bikes, or bike history, but that jack pine triumph desert sled is the coolest bike on the planet.

my question is, would the new cb1100 be a good bike to "sled" up? i think the 70's style is awesome, and other than the 421 pipes in front making it more difficult to make a plate for, i think that would look absolutely, rad man, with a single seat, knobies, and other little dirt bike goodies.

An 1100 for a dirt bike? Sounds pretty piddly. I guess it might make an OK pit bike.

If you really want a bike that puts hair on your chest, how about the Honda XR1500R:

HondaXR_1500R_3.jpg

Now there's a bike that can lay down the miles! :Wow1:

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
In all seriousness...

I have been a HUGE fan of the "UJM" (Universal Japanese Motorcycle) of the 70's and 80's and this CB1100 is basically a modern version of those great bikes. I love it.

Want to look at one in person, but there's a good possiblity that my Triumph may be up for sale next year...:drool::drool::drool:

Don't get me wrong, the Triumph is a great bike with an undeniable "cool" factor, but my heart has been with UJMs ever since I rode my old 74 Honda CB-750k. I've actually owned 5 of these across-the-frame 4 cyl bikes: the 74 CB750, an 83 Honda Nighthawk 550s, an 83Yamaha XJ750 Maxim, an 84 Kawasaki ZN700 and an 82 Kawasaki Spectre 750. All were great bikes, the only thing wrong with the two Kawasakis is that they were both old and starting to develop the dreaded intermittent electrical problem.

A new, EFI-equipped UJM would be, in my mind, the absolute perfect "all around" motorcycle.

Unfortunately, the Japanese have tried selling the "big naked" or "big standard" bikes before: The Kawasaki Zephyrs of the early 90's, the Honda CB1000, and the "naked" versions of the Kawasaki ZR-7 and the Suzuki Bandit 1200. All were dropped after a year or two due to disappointing sales.

RHINO

Expedition Leader
the bandit 1200 was/is a great modern UJM,,, i think low sales in the recent past with such bikes is they are a bit too old school for the price,,, i would like the cb1100 to be 6k,,, and for 10k i want crotch rocket style suspension and brakes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach