Horizontal marine propane tank question

laxtoy

Adventurer
I tried a search finding nothing specific for my needs information wise. For weight and space I’m looking at an aluminum Manchester 10lb horizontal propane tank I can mount on my swing out. I was going to go for two 5lb steel vertical tanks side by side, but I can cut some weight, better utilize the space, and really simplify the mounting.

They say they are DOT approved, my question, can anyone see any reason they wouldn’t work at higher elevation? Anyone have any positive/negative viewpoints/experiences?

llamalander

For some reason I thought horizontal tanks dispense liquid propane and the vertical ones a vapor, so the forklift tanks would probably not work for a stove... Worth checking what the output/ regulator compatibility is probably.

Aside, I use a vertical 10lb on my swing out, it's about the same diameter as most 5lb tanks, but taller. Tare weight is about 13.5 lbs-- FlameKing makes one for about $70.

laxtoy

Adventurer
I’ve thought of several configurations, but with a first gen Tacoma, there just isn’t a lot of width, so I’d be on top of the dual Jerry can on the driver side or over a 33 inch spare on the passenger. I worry the more weight I add high it’ll wreak havoc, so trying to stay low (have to be above spare and Jerry cans) and light.

I can confirm, you can’t use forklift tanks, they do dispense liquid propane. They do make a lot of tanks that are intended to be mounted/used horizontally, 20lb, 30lb steel ones

Says they are intended to be used for propane gas- bbq’s, fire tables, RV’s etc.

The aluminum ones are intended for marine applications/corrosive environments, I was also concerned they’re only meant to be used at sea level, but that seems like that’d be a weird limitation.

laxtoy

Adventurer
221ee83ded10b0f651500b42e1ecd67e.jpg

Height is already taller than I’d like and I’d need to mount them several inches higher to be able to get the Jerry cans in and out.

The taller/heavier it gets the more torque it’s putting on the swing out hinge and where the arm is welded, my concern is it won’t be able to take the weight over time. I plan to gusset that weld, but still think I need shorter/lighter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just out of curiosity why do you need to lug so much propane around? That’s more than I used being on the road for 8 straight weeks this summer in a class b RV with a propane furnace, stove and water heater. Granted my hot water is also heated by the engine so that doesn’t draw much from the bottle.

laxtoy

Adventurer
It’s in cases where we use a propane fire pit we drag with us when there are fire bans- they use a ton of gas. It’s not my preference to do so but I don’t win that argument, and on a 4-5 day trip we’ll easily burn up a 20lb tank if we have it on for several hours each night. I agree though, when running a lantern, stove, and a couple other random items we barely use any fuel.

In this case it’s more about having a simplified system to mount everything up, and the 10lb aluminum tank is about the same weight as the 5lb steel tank, and better oriented horizontally. Lastly, when I ditch the rack and rooftop tent for a wedge camper with a built out interior there will be less I want to carry inside the truck, so I’d rather carry extra propane for when it is needed on the exterior of the truck

It’s in cases where we use a propane fire pit we drag with us when there are fire bans- they use a ton of gas. It’s not my preference to do so but I don’t win that argument, and on a 4-5 day trip we’ll easily burn up a 20lb tank if we have it on for several hours each night. I agree though, when running a lantern, stove, and a couple other random items we barely use any fuel.

In this case it’s more about having a simplified system to mount everything up, and the 10lb aluminum tank is about the same weight as the 5lb steel tank, and better oriented horizontally. Lastly, when I ditch the rack and rooftop tent for a wedge camper with a built out interior there will be less I want to carry inside the truck, so I’d rather carry extra propane for when it is needed on the exterior of the truck
That makes sense. We did give up on campfires during bans. I’d be careful stacking that much weight that far behind the rear axle. I had a similar setup on my ‘10 DCSB Tacoma and even with airbags the handling was pretty bad. I ended up trimming to make the spare fit under the bed and only storing fuel on the swing away.
To get back to your original question… for something low pressure like a firepit altitude shouldn’t have any affect on a propane bottle. Temperature is going to be your biggest issue. Horizontal and vertical bottles function the same way: LP sloshing around in the bottom of the tank evaporates and the gas is bled off the top to power your stove. In cold weather it is possible to draw the gas off the top faster than the liquid can evaporate. Liquid tanks are a completely different design and have their pickup at the bottom of the tank (like a beer keg). The pressure from the evaporating gas pushes the liquid up the pipe and out to your equipment. Hope that helps.

laxtoy

Adventurer
The exact info I need, well explained, thank you! I definitely understand the weight issue. I have T-100 rear leafs, they’ve done an excellent job for the 20 years I’ve had them on the truck, but they are clapped out. I’m swapping to 63 inch Chevy’s when I get the truck situated around the wedge camper.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3