how heavily is is jeep modified? how much do you have into it?

Mitch502

Explorer
"Mandatory" lift parts
-Lift kit (springs, spacers, shocks, fr. track bar, etc) $700 (5.5")
-4 new Goodyear Duratracs (285/75/16) ~$700 (knew someone)
-Longer brake lines ~$30
-Front ujoint driveshaft swap (haven't done yet) ~$30 total from jy and new ujoints
-8 adjustable control arms ~$550

Additional things I've done...
-All new cooling from radiator, hoses, water pump, etc. ~$250
-Durango steering box ~$75 jy + fluids/etc
-Tie rod end ~$20
-calipers ~$80/pair (front)
-242 t-case swap ~$75 for case + fluids, etc
-wheel bearings $149 for 2 front

Plus ALOT of time, and still more time to be spent.

tommudd

Explorer
I bought a Jeep Liberty in 2004 new off the lot with every intention of never modding it since it was IFS/ grocery getter ( you know all the jokes)
For the last 40 plus years every Jeep had been modified in every way there is so this was to stay stock.....................
10 years later and 214,000 miles the KJ now sits with
4.25 inch JeepinByAl adjustable coilover lift
JBA UCAs
Custom rear tri-link
4.10 gears, with extras inside , Yukon rear axles
265-75-16 Duratracs on TJ Rubicon Moab wheels
Rock Lizard rockrails , roof rack, front and rear bumpers ( rear with dual swingouts)
Kilby gas tank skid
Mixture of Skid Row and 4 X Guard for rest of the skids
Pontiac GTP hood louvers
Mixture of LED and Hella lights

and some other stuff that I can't or don't want to remember
Plus have parts that are still sitting in the basement
If I had to redo/replace everything more than likely be in the 8-8500 range
Thankfully have less than half that due to getting great deals

KLT88YJ

Observer
Well since tommudd chimed in about his KJ, guess I'll do the same!

I too got my KJ as a family hauler, coming from a YJ and an XJ. Then I stumbled upon LOST! Completely changed my view on the KJ!

2002 KJ with 178,xxx miles.

OME 790 front coils, spacers and Bilstein shocks. OME 948 rear springs with Monroe load leveler shocks and 2 extra iso's.

JBA GEN 4.5 upper "A" arms.

Shaved CV Axles.

Rear JBA Y link spacer.

ARB front bar, Warn M8000 winch.

Air Flow KJ snorkel.

Rear Rocklizard fab bumper system.

Rocklizard modular roof rack system (new design waiting for it to arrive!)

SURCO roof rack.

Full Rustys off road skids, original JKS "Super nefrs" rock rails.

4:10's, limited slip, 31x10.50x15 on soft 8's.

All J Products interior rear rack

44" LED bar on the roof and 6 pack LEDs on the bumper.

Trasharoo on the rear.

I'm sure there's way more that I've forgotten!

If I had to do it over I guess some where I the range on $5,000~6,000. As I've run other OME LIFT combos before finding one that I liked.

8b70c9dbe3fc67887b6eba2bebb56abb.jpg
eed846696ee86babff61bb843f013615.jpg
e6c5811d8199b6d5eeec77f300fb9345.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

tommudd

Explorer
After building 3 XJs and running all of them into the 250-300,000 mile range, I like the KJ better overall
( let the hate mail start) LOL

ferninaz

I began with the intention of building a rock crawler but after 3 years of ownership I have decided to change to more a dual purpose rig. Some of the stuff I have done will seem outrageous for the expedition type vehicle but makes sense for the rock crawler. I have also had to replace, replacement parts so I have spent money doing that as well. I have gone from 35s to 37s which means I have about $4000 in tires which is pretty high for a 3 year old vehicle. I have also replaced shocks, I am actually on my fourth set as I have tried to get the best ride possible for the way I drive. I am on my third set of springs also. I have done most of the work myself so that has saved me some money. Anything that needed to be welded did get welded by someone else and the gears were done by a professional. By far the best improvement to ride quality was moving the front shock mounts up and out a bit which helps with long hauls on the highway and dirt roads. My budget will continue to go up the more I go to the expedition type stuff but I still need to balance rock crawling and expedition.

I currently have
MetalCloak 3.5" Dual Rate Springs
MetalCloak front Trackbar
MetalCloak front lower control arms
Bilstein 5160 Shocks w/reservoir
ARB air locker rear
Aussie locker front
4.88 Yukon gears
37" Cooper Discoverer STT tires
17" Pro Comp wheels
Synergy Drag Link (flipped)
Synergy Tie Rod
Front Currie Anti Rock Swaybar
Artec truss (front axle)
Synergy C-Gussett
Nemesis industries front lower shock relocation brackets
MetalCloak rear lower shock relocation brackets
SOLID diff covers
Extended brake lines
AFE high tuck Catback exhaust
RuggedRidge Snorkel
Custom front driveshaft
Adams 1310 rear driveshaft
Smittybilt XRC8 winch with synthetic line
JCR Front Stubby Dagger Stinger Winch Bumper
10" led lightbar
PIAA spot lights
ARB OBA
sPOD
Smittybilt SRC rocker armor
Smittybilt XRC fender flares
Uniden CB radio
Firestick antennae
stubby radio antennae
OR-Fab Tire Carrier with Rotopax
SWAG Offroad tailgate conversion
EVO Rear Bolt on D-Ring Mounts
Fire Extinguisher
Amazon heated seat inserts

GFA

Adventurer
why do you say that have you had problems with it?

No problems mechanically other than leaky tranny lines. But, I'm extremely disappointed with the performance/power and fuel mileage. Even after a re gear it is still horrible power wise and even worse with the fuel but I knew that would happen. I've seriously considered buying a new '15 for the pentastar and 5pd auto but being that they have the same hard and soft top design as my '10, I'll pass. Both of mine leak like a sieve and it's been to the dealer a few time to no avail. Meanwhile I have a musty, mildew stinking jeep.. I also have a decent amount of surface rust on the frame which is very disappointing. I'll hold out to see what the '17 has to offer but a new '15 F150 might replace it anyhow...

BBailey

Explorer
I'm scared to add it all up, especially with all the parts on order or sitting in the garage presently.

PSC BFH Front Bumper w/ Brawler Bar, TJM Winch, 10" Rigid SR2 Hyperspot on bumper, Rigid D2 Driving Lights on A Pillars
photo 5.jpg

PSC Crusher Corners, Brawler Rockers, and Crusher Flares, ATX Slabs, 37" Toyo MT's
photo 3.jpg

Genright Tire Carrier, Rigid D-Series Wide Pattern, Synergy Baja Basket, Bestop Wraparound Windjammer, PSC BFH Rear Bumper
photo 4.JPG

Won't even get into suspension and interior.

Attachments

• photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    232.9 KB · Views: 19

anviljk

Adventurer
I bought the JKUR for $35,000. Probably spend about $1,000 in skids/bumpers/misc parts. I'll throw on a small lift here soon and then that will be it until I I replace the tires when they are worn. All my co-workers think its crazy that I drive a $40k Jeep and take it offroading where I could break something. Thats what I bought it for, if I wanted to get from point A to point B on a highway I would have bought a Camery.

sean257

Adventurer
Bought CJ a little over 5 years ago for ~$3k
Added a can of fix a flat, because there was no spare tire - $6
Tow strap and cheap come along - $50
Added rust, and a lot of dents.
We haven't needed to fix anything, but we did change the oil in 2013. We also washed it once in 2009.

Terex

Adventurer
Bought CJ a little over 5 years ago for ~$3k
Added a can of fix a flat, because there was no spare tire - $6
Tow strap and cheap come along - $50
Added rust, and a lot of dents.
We haven't needed to fix anything, but we did change the oil in 2013. We also washed it once in 2009.

Don't let the little girl know that stickers count as mods.

HAFICON

Adventurer
Well I picked up my 2012 JKU with 20 miles on the clock. Factory half doors & soft top and dealer installed some all terrains for free to me. (Jeep was a special order that someone backed out on and I got it on the CHEAP)

I have wasted a lot of money on mods. The biggest waste was building the factor Dana 30, the next biggest waste was investing heavily into Rugger Ridge

Rugged Ridge:
Front bumper (No complaints)
Pre Runner guard (I love it)
Winch (Not the best but it works good)
Rear Bumper (No complaints)
Tire carrier (JUNK!!!!)
Rock Sliders (JUNK!!!)
Grab handles (Really nice)
Floor Mats (JUNK!!!!)
Gas cap cover (JUNK!!!)
Mirror relocation kit (JUNK!!!)
High Lift jack mount (JUNK!!!)
Shepard Roof Rack (SERIOUS JUNK!!!)
Heat reduction hood (Quality is good but would not buy it again)
(All listed above is Rugged Ridge)

Mountain Off Road Skid plate really nice I would for sure buy it again. Just a note the M.O.R.E. skid will not work with the Pro Rock D44 unlimited.

Pro Rock D44 Unlimited front axle. Just installed this guy so no good report yet had some issues, not thrilled with this set up as of yet got a lot of kinks to work out.

JKS sway bar disconnects these are nice, good quality.

AEV 2.5 lift I can not say enough good stuff about AEV I would for sure do this lift again.

315/70/17 Duratracs IMO one of the better tires on the market I will purchase this tire again.

Viair 450c compressor with twin 2.5 gallon tanks, great set up I love it.

Synergy brake booster bracket for air compressor (JUNK) has no support bounces and hits A/C lines.

Herculiner roll on bed liner did the inside of my tub, this stuff is crap it does not get hard like the spray on stuff goign to be a night mare to remove it all, and spray new stuff in.

Cheap LED lights, Cheap and junk yea I got suckered into the EBAY LED craze.

SPOD- this is a great set up well worth the money took me a year or so to finally give in but I did and love it.

Tepui RTT I just bought this got it used but pretty much new, have not installed it yet but man it is nice. Can't wait to go camping.

Just ordered RotoPax but from all the reviews they seem great, next order will be some Maxtrax then to get started building my roof rack. (Once my trailer is done)

I think that is it *L*

HAFICON

Adventurer
Well since tommudd chimed in about his KJ, guess I'll do the same!

I too got my KJ as a family hauler, coming from a YJ and an XJ. Then I stumbled upon LOST! Completely changed my view on the KJ!

2002 KJ with 178,xxx miles.

OME 790 front coils, spacers and Bilstein shocks. OME 948 rear springs with Monroe load leveler shocks and 2 extra iso's.

JBA GEN 4.5 upper "A" arms.

Shaved CV Axles.

Rear JBA Y link spacer.

ARB front bar, Warn M8000 winch.

Air Flow KJ snorkel.

Rear Rocklizard fab bumper system.

Rocklizard modular roof rack system (new design waiting for it to arrive!)

SURCO roof rack.

Full Rustys off road skids, original JKS "Super nefrs" rock rails.

4:10's, limited slip, 31x10.50x15 on soft 8's.

All J Products interior rear rack

44" LED bar on the roof and 6 pack LEDs on the bumper.

Trasharoo on the rear.

I'm sure there's way more that I've forgotten!

If I had to do it over I guess some where I the range on $5,000~6,000. As I've run other OME LIFT combos before finding one that I liked.

8b70c9dbe3fc67887b6eba2bebb56abb.jpg
eed846696ee86babff61bb843f013615.jpg
e6c5811d8199b6d5eeec77f300fb9345.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is one Bad AZZ liberty... Have to say I have a new found respect for the Liberty...

gmwelder86

Adventurer
2014 jkur drove it for about 6 months than a moab trip got planned. To the drawing board, ps bfh front bumper, eautogrille ebay rear bumper with tire carrier, not the best but it works pretty good so far. Rock krawler2.5 stock mod package from northridge4x4. Added ome stabalizer relocation kit. That's been most of the bolt on stuff. To the rear bumper added a jerry can holder and mounted my hi lift to it, hard mounted my viair compressor and added chucks on either side of the back seat attached my rack I built. Modded my rubicon rails with a step, run ham and cb radios. Waiting for the stock MTs to wear out than will probably go to a 35ish sized tire.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk