how heavily is is jeep modified? how much do you have into it?

nwoods

Expedition Leader
What an awesome picture of an awesome Jeep, in an awesome spot! :beer:
I'm almost afraid to ask... it sounds like you don't have it any more?
Sadly, that is correct. My income eroded steadily over the past 6 years or so. I had to sell my LR3 and then the wife ended up parting with this (her) Jeep when her job evaporated. We miss both vehicles a lot. The Land Rover was terrific, but this Jeep went anywhere and everywhere. The guy who bought it lives up near the Ribicon Trail, and sends me photos from time to time.... the bastard :)

EMrider

Explorer
I had about $10k in upgrades to my 2005 Ruby LJ.
35" Tires, 1" Spidertrax wheel spacers, AEV 4.5" springs, Rancho 9000 shocks, Currie short arm kit, Nth degree tummy tuck, Currie skid tabs on the shock mounts and misc plating underneath. Nth Degree rear diff skid. Currie front diff cover. ORO pneumatic swaybar disconnect up front. ORO heavy duty steering kit (which I didn't like all that much), Viair hardmount onboard air and tank. Hanson front and rear bumpers. Warn winch. Hanson rear tire carrier and cargo rack., Auxillary driving lights. Upgraded headlights, plus misc interior farkles like upgraded stereo, hardmount Baja540 GPS, etc...Besttop softtop and OEM hardtop, and tube style half doors for the summer.

It was perfect. Could do anything and go anywhere....except go past a gas station without stopping :)

MJR-Bullfrog-18-X2.jpg

Great pic and LJ!

Boy are you right about the MPG, or lack thereof, too.

I am stunned at how fast our LJ drinks gas. And with a small to modest sized gas tank too!

Always pack extra gas is rule number one.

R

Septu

Explorer
According to my excel spread sheet I have around 24k into mine. However that includes expensive shipping fees and the install work, as well as repairs and whatnot I've had to do along the way (mainly just brakes and alternator).

10420178_10152440201342595_3267075611931429960_n.jpg

Last edited:

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Septu, how much use do you get out of that overhead LED bar? Doesn't snow pretty much render it useless?
Edit: Not snow per se, but blowing snow, or actual falling snow.

Septu

Explorer
Septu, how much use do you get out of that overhead LED bar? Doesn't snow pretty much render it useless?
Edit: Not snow per se, but blowing snow, or actual falling snow.

Snow would yes. However we don't actually get much snow up here. Despite being fairly far north, it's usually pretty dry. As for how much use... honestly not much. I think I've used it more to flash other drivers when they don't want to turn off their high beams then when wanting light down the highway. But it works very well for both of those purposes! :)

Fortunately I didn't pay a ton for it. I think it was $550 shipped (which isn't bad at all for a 50" with 10w LEDs), and the mounts were almost free after selling my old ones with some HIDs I had.

Last edited:

Septu

Explorer
DO you get a lot of glare off the hood?

Yeah. However I have 55w HIDs on the bumper if the hood glare really bothers me. But for the most part I deal with it, because it's putting out so much light that I'm alright with it. At some point I'll probably make up a big black decal of sorts to cover a large portion of the hood. Or replace it with an AEV one and paint the center part black.

Septu

Explorer
Cool. Does the bar do better than your HID?

The LF ones? No. They reach further, however I like the instant on from the LEDs better. I still use the LF ones, but with the bar (10w spots) and the LEDs on the pillar (10w spots) I cover most of what I want. The useable light from the bar goes roughly about as far as my high beams on the truck lites. So not perfect, but good enough for now. I've also reach the point where I'm tired of spending money to find that 'perfect' solution with the lights and would rather spend the money elsewhere. At some point I'll likely upgrade the TLs to the new JW speakers (or vision X or one of the others that have come out recently) and then just call it done.

Last edited:

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
Yeah, I LOVE my 500s with 55w HID in them. I get a great beam with them, wide and very long. That's why I asked. I don't think im going to spend any extra money at the moment. I have truck lights, and with the HID on, you don't even know the truck lites are there. The light from my 500s is even right from the bumper on out...No hot spots, or uneven beams. I am on the verge of trying some LED lights on other rigs to try out. but my Jeep is going to stay as is until I find anything that's suitable. Your jeep looks great btw. the tires are saucy!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk