How to make a cheap isolated dual-battery setup for $50

evldave

Expedition Trophy Winner
Generally welding cable is about as good as you can get - oil resistance, highly flexible, heat resistant etc.... But many times it's overkill for what you are doing - a simple set of jumper cables with the ends cut off (sized appropriately) will work, many times at 1/4 the cost.

That said :)... $1/ft for quality welding cable is a great buy, if you are running the cable near the engine or other high heat source it might be worth it (I will be ordering the welding cable for my new Yukon XL project)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

patoz

Expedition Leader
Be cautious buying jumpercables. Especially so if planning to use it as installed wiring. Quality varies widely. Most all use simple thermoplastic insulation. Many use copper plated aluminum conductors. ( Clever abbreviation "CCA" to benefit the rubes)
Its not entirely bad wiring method, be aware of their inferiority & just use extra care in execution.

Btw, "welding cable" Manufactured in few different grades.
Any one of which is abundantly perfect within vehicle wiring.

You took the words right out of my mouth. Thanks!

Most of those super cheap, light weight, jumper cables are made in China and are pure junk. Let face it folks copper is heavy, so if a 25' set of cables only weighs a pound, there's a reason for that. Another thing they do is give you something equivalent to 4 or 6 ga. with thicker insulation, and call it 2 ga.

"If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is." Words to live by!

Last edited:

jeep670

Adventurer
Now.. don't assume we're all stupid.
I got 2ga jumper cables that are 2ga cooper. And I said truck stops not walmart..

patoz

Expedition Leader
Now.. don't assume we're all stupid.
I got 2ga jumper cables that are 2ga cooper. And I said truck stops not walmart..

Nope, I didn't mean to insinuate that at all.

I was referring to places like Walmart, Amazon (but not all of them), eBay, local auto parts places like Pep Boys, Auto Zone, and other cut-rate retailers. You just have to do the research on the product and make sure you're getting what you think you're getting.

scbrooks87

Observer
Hey folks. I am sorry to ask something that I feel has probably been asked... I've done a lot of reading, and just can't seem to figure out wire sizing. I admit I haven't read EVERY page of this, but I've read through page 30something... Anyway, I'm looking to do a dual battery, with starting battery in stock location, and house batter in the back of my XJ, cut into the little cubby hole on the passenger side. I am guessing it'll be somewhere around 15' of cable one-way, so 30' round trip. If I go with the 200a isolator, and 200a fuses, what size cable am I gonna need for this thing? I've used the calculators online and keep seeing like... 4/0 for a 30' loop @ 200 amps and FEEL like that's just not right considering the OP's little diagram shows 4ga cable in the 200a system (not accounting for my distance though)... Anyone able to tell me what size wiring I should expect to use?

Thank you!!

dlichterman

Explorer
I used 4ga cable with a 200A fuse and about a 30' round trip and it's been fine. Remember that you aren't ever going to draw that much constantly - only a surge if you self jump.

scbrooks87

Observer
I used 4ga cable with a 200A fuse and about a 30' round trip and it's been fine. Remember that you aren't ever going to draw that much constantly - only a surge if you self jump.

Thank you! So to account for any possible length issues (if routing the cable requires additional length) I assume it would be ok for me to just run 2ga? It may be unnecessary over-kill but would help me sleep better at night lol.

dlichterman

Explorer
Thank you! So to account for any possible length issues (if routing the cable requires additional length) I assume it would be ok for me to just run 2ga? It may be unnecessary over-kill but would help me sleep better at night lol.

Of course, there is never any downside to running a larger gauge cable, other than price and weight/ease of routing.

I've got 4ga and a 200A/300Asurge solenoid and a 200A fuse, and I've self-jumped and not had any trouble. Also if you'll be making your own cables, you might want to look into buying a hydraulic crimper like this one. Makes awesome lugs on the ends of the cable.

scbrooks87

Observer
Of course, there is never any downside to running a larger gauge cable, other than price and weight/ease of routing.

I've got 4ga and a 200A/300Asurge solenoid and a 200A fuse, and I've self-jumped and not had any trouble. Also if you'll be making your own cables, you might want to look into buying a hydraulic crimper like this one. Makes awesome lugs on the ends of the cable.

Thanks again for the help. Much appreciated! I may pick up a set of those crimpers since I also want to upgrade my batter wiring at some point for the starting battery. My original plan was to use the hammer and punch type method to crimp but I always love having new tools!

dlichterman

Explorer
Thanks again for the help. Much appreciated! I may pick up a set of those crimpers since I also want to upgrade my batter wiring at some point for the starting battery. My original plan was to use the hammer and punch type method to crimp but I always love having new tools!

Yeah, I originally was going to try those, but they can be hard to use "on/in the vehicle" so I went with the huge crimper. One of the good tools HF has. Don't forget the 20% off coupon!

scbrooks87

Observer
Yeah, I originally was going to try those, but they can be hard to use "on/in the vehicle" so I went with the huge crimper. One of the good tools HF has. Don't forget the 20% off coupon!

I never buy anything from HF without a 20% off coupon lol. I just noticed you're in SD, what parts? I'm in Lakeside, and work in Santee.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smithmds77