How would you outfit this custom LJ?

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I decided it might be more convenient to use the roof basket if there was a ladder to get up there, so I made one.

Ladder1.jpg

Ladder2.jpg

Ladder3.jpg

Ladder4.jpg

Last edited:

rdraider

Adventurer
Dang it!

Man, your tops are so cool, i'm gonna have to go out and find me a LJ somewhere so i can buy them. Whenever they become available.

I've never owned a jeep before and i'm more interested in an ole cj7 or cj8, but your tops sure make the post AMC era jeeps more desirable.

I grew up on fords and amcs, so i'm a bit nostalgic for that era jeep.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Man, your tops are so cool, i'm gonna have to go out and find me a LJ somewhere so i can buy them. Whenever they become available.

I've never owned a jeep before and i'm more interested in an ole cj7 or cj8, but your tops sure make the post AMC era jeeps more desirable.

I grew up on fords and amcs, so i'm a bit nostalgic for that era jeep.

Thanks! I've designed these tops to also fit both the CJ-7 and CJ-8, so if they come to market in those versions then you won't have to buy an LJ :)

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I decided a half-ladder might look better, so I made up a prototype of the half ladder design, here are some photos.

HalfLadder1.jpg

HalfLadder2.jpg

HalfLadder3.jpg

And here are some photos of both ladders side by side. I prefer the look of the half ladder, it looks a lot cleaner to me:

LadderCompare.jpg

96discoXD

Adventurer
I agree that the half ladder looks better aesthetically. I love these tops, they make me miss my old LR Discovery with that roof line. If I can pick up an LJ in the next couple years I'll definitely be looking into these if they come to market. Keep up the great work!

Black Dog

Makin' Beer.
I bet your neighbors wonder why you keep climbing up the tree in your front yard to take pictures of your jeep from that angle.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Having pretty much finished up my work on the Safari Cab, I'm working on my next project, which is a Jeep tub trailer - I've posted concept drawings of it earlier in this thread. Here's a photo as it sits now - the side panels have been assembled and the factory inner fenders have been removed to eliminate all the wasted space and make for the most interior room. I haven't cut the new wheel openings in the sides yet:

SidesMockup5.jpg

The camper top that is designed to go on top of this trailer is made from LJ Safari Cab parts, and requires no new molds to be made.

As I was working on the trailer tub, it occurred to me that this tub could just be dropped on a pickup cab TJ/LJ with a lengthened frame. Then you could put the same camper top on the resulting pickup. Here's what both the camper trailer and the longbed pickup/camper would look like:

Longbed.jpg

Here's what the longbed pickup would look like without the Safari Cab camper top, next to a Brute for comparison.

Longbed2.jpg

Building a truck like this would be pretty straightforward - you could use the Brute cab closeout kit to turn the tub into a pickup cab, and if you used the Brute frame extension kit on an LJ frame you'd end up with a frame at the right wheelbase for this bed tub. You'd already have half of the tub needed to make the bed, all you'd have to do is find a 76-06 CJ/YJ/TJ tub/back half of tub to make the other half of the bed. Throw a Safari Half cab on it, along with some lift and 35's...

Last edited:
Having pretty much finished up my work on the Safari Cab, I'm working on my next project, which is a Jeep tub trailer - I've posted concept drawings of it earlier in this thread. Here's a photo as it sits now - the side panels have been assembled and the factory inner fenders have been removed to eliminate all the wasted space and make for the most interior room. I haven't cut the new wheel openings in the sides yet:

The camper top that is designed to go on top of this trailer is made from LJ Safari Cab parts, and requires no new molds to be made.

As I was working on the trailer tub, it occurred to me that this tub could just be dropped on a pickup cab TJ/LJ with a lengthened frame. Then you could put the same camper top on the resulting pickup. Here's what both the camper trailer and the longbed pickup/camper would look like:

Longbed.jpg

Here's what the longbed pickup would look like without the Safari Cab camper top, next to a Brute for comparison.

Building a truck like this would be pretty straightforward - you could use the Brute cab closeout kit to turn the tub into a pickup cab, and if you used the Brute frame extension kit on an LJ frame you'd end up with a frame at the right wheelbase for this bed tub. You'd already have half of the tub needed to make the bed, all you'd have to do is find a 76-06 CJ/YJ/TJ tub/back half of tub to make the other half of the bed. Throw a Safari Half cab on it, along with some lift and 35's...

Somehow it looks like the roof would look better on the pickup if reversed, the slope going towards the back. While extremely interesting and functional, the step between the cab and the camper at the front looks a bit strange -- although the roof rack attenuates that somewhat. I will not talk about any aerodynamics here, since the base truck is a Jeep :)

Last edited:

Mexican_Hippie

Ladder

I like the half ladder, but with another section folded up on itself. Basically some sort of hinge at the bottom so you could fold the ladder down lower, maybe even with a flat step towards the bottom.

These posts are cool and all, but I'm losing my mind waiting for all this to be in "production."

jscherb

Expedition Leader
These posts are cool and all, but I'm losing my mind waiting for all this to be in "production."

Hey, how do you think I feel? :) I'm anxious for "the company" to get these in production too! Getting everything engineered and set up for production takes some time...

Here's a few more "spy photos" of the company's engineering prototype top under construction:

Spy23.jpg

Spy34.jpg

Also, they're now working on the half cab molds now too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater