How would you outfit this custom LJ?

jscherb

Expedition Leader
So still a ways off from market?
I don't know. The JKU version is now in production by MORryde; it'll be shipping within a week. They've indicated interest in the JK 2dr version, and I've had many requests for it, so that's why I'll be doing that design when I get back from EJS.

I'm not sure if there's enough interest in a TJ or LJ version of it to make it worthwhile to try to get into production, I've only had a few requests for it. TJ/LJ accessories sell at a fraction of the volume that JK/JKU accessories do these days, so it's not clear if MORryde would rather do a TJ/LJ version of this or spend their engineering resource on additional JK/JKU or JL/JLU products, I'll have to check with them after I finish the JK2 design.

Another possibility is that it could become a Retrofit Offroad product; Retrofit and MORryde have a very good relationship about products and it's possible that Retrofit could do the TJ/LJ version, using the MORryde panel and TJ/LJ-specific mounting hardware.

If I hear enough demand for it I'll try to get the TJ/LJ version to market. Since my LJ will be on display in the MORryde booth at the EJS Vendor Expo lots of people will see the LJ version so we'll see how much interest it gets.

Last edited:

jscherb

Expedition Leader
A couple of other things I'm outfitting the LJ with for the trip. First is a "saddlebag", it's from a startup I've been helping with some storage product designs. This one is leather and heavy canvas and mounts to the hardtop bolts at the top edge of the tub. It's got a zipper holding the main bag to the strip that bolts to the tub, so the bag can be removed just by unzipping it from the attachment. For this trip I've loaded it with my jumper cables, a large towel and some accessories for my CB radio like an SWR meter. This is a very early prototype they sent me just before the SEMA Show to test.

Saddlebag_zpsvdiqkkkq.jpg

In the back, also from the same startup, is a Rollbag. I've attached it to the roll bar, convenient to the kitchen.

Rollbag_zpsmqemgcsw.jpg

Inside the Rollbag is a Cutlery Keeper (from the same startup) loaded with cutlery for the kitchen.

RollbagAndCutleryKeeper_zpsfd1rtvnf.jpg

They've sent me a black Rollbag as well, it's supposed to arrive tomorrow. I think I'll put it somewhere else in the Jeep and put a tool roll in it.

RollbagToolCaddy_zpsgoeb11vv.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I received another sample Rollbag from the startup folks today so I've now got three installed for testing in the Utah desert.

In the back near the Trail Kitchen I've got one holding a Cutlery Keeper:

RollBagCutleryKeeper_zpsyhkewtnd.jpg

On the vertical bar next to the driver's seat I've got the new black sample with a tool roll and tools. It's pretty heavy.

RollbagToolRoll_zpssyb2falb.jpg

On the horizontal bar above the rear passenger seat I've got a tow strap. Also pretty heavy.

RollBagTowStrap_zpsw3cwrshx.jpg

So far I like these - they're turning out to be very handy. I'm looking forward to seeing how they perform on the trail with these weights in them.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Ready for departure to Moab for Easter Jeep Safari.

LJReady1_zpsejf7rvmb.jpg

LJReady2_zpsyvlpwod0.jpg

I'll be on trails most days but MORryde is using the Jeep in their booth at the EJS Vendor Expo, so stop by and say hi.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Still waiting for you to report back in, from EJS. Hope the road trip is going well!
Arrived Moab yesterday afternoon. Trip out was uneventful except for a killer headwind across Kansas that cost about 5mpg. Ugh.

Will do a trail solo this afternoon and Tuesday, organized trails tomorrow/Wednesday/Saturday; no trails for us Thursday/Friday vendor expo when MORryde is using my Jeep in their booth.

No trail photos yet, but did cross paths with the Jeep display en route in Missouri and Kansas...

JeepDisplay1_zpskxflbrcy.jpg

JeepDisplay2_zpsviem7azl.jpg

The Jeep concepts have been running around town but haven't taken any photos of them yet.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Today we did a "shakedown/warmup" trail by ourselves. We picked 5-rated Klondike Bluffs, it's a 6.5-mile out and 6.5-mile back trail that's not used by EJS. I call it a shakedown trail because this is the first time I've done trails with the full Trail Kitchen installed in the LJ and I wanted to see if it had any bad behavior or caused any bad behavior in the Jeep. Also a warmup trail to warm up our trail driving reflexes. We weren't focused (pun intended) on taking pictures today, but we did get a few.

KlondikeBluffs1_zps0f1fa8r3.jpg

The stream was harder to negotiate in the inbound direction, these photos were taken in the outbound direction. Inbound, the little bit of water at the bottom (not visible in these photos) made the tires slippery and the slope a bit hard to climb.

KlondikeBluffs2_zpshtdzhkir.jpg

No bad behavior was exhibited by the Trail Kitchen, the Jeep or the driver on the trail today :).

jscherb

Expedition Leader
My copilot wasn't feeling well today so she stayed at the hotel while I did Seven Mile Rim. Because I didn't have an action photographer with me there are no action shots, the best I could do today is these shots on the rim.

7MileRim_zps0mx4vbf6.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
MORryde has a booth at the Easter Jeep Safari vendor Expo this week, and they're using my Jeep in the booth. Not my JKU though, or even the new JK 2dr, they're using my '06 LJ. This is the Jeep I usually bring to Easter Jeep Safari, so it's the one MORryde gets to borrow this week. Mostly they're showing off the Trail Kitchen:

MORryde1_zpse4bjwfq8.jpg

Not much in the display except the Jeep and a few easel posters, there's not much signage or other stuff in the booth, but traffic in the booth was heavy all day so I guess there was enough to interest many people.

I've also got an Overhead/Swing-Down Molle panel in the LJ (this is a prototype version I built, so far MORryde has released only a JKU version)...

MORrydeOverhead_zps1qhw0rgg.jpg

When I get back from this trip I'll be building the prototype Molle panel for the JK 2dr as well as a lockbox option for the panel. And based on the interest today, I think I should do a TJ and LJ version as well.

Another view of the LJ-8...

MORryde2_zps6cmoigv4.jpg

Last edited:

jscherb

Expedition Leader
For our last trail of the week we chose Crystal Geyser, it's rated 3 so we thought it would be a relaxing, scenic trail to end the week. It was about 40 miles long off-pavement, so it was a very long day, and there were several obstacles that should have caused the trail to be rated 5 or more. It took me two tries to get over the first big ledge, which was over 18" high. The CJ-7 behind me, which had more lift and larger tires but less wheelbase, couldn't make it so I pulled him over with a strap.

StrappingCJ_zpsfumcjv0h.jpg

After lunch there was an even tougher obstacle, this one had two climbs - the second climb required a sharp turn immediately after making the first climb. I had no problem with the first climb, but the second had serious rocks and ledges I couldn't manage. On the way up:

Obstacle2b_zps13nqlmvd.jpg

Made it almost to the top but had to be strapped over.

Obstacle2c_zpsr9oiym4e.jpg

I was right behind the leader, who was driving a large buggy and could go over everything, so my Jeep was the guinea pig for each obstacle. After I got over the obstacles the trail leader piled rocks in the right places based on my results so the rest of the people could get over.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Memorial Day Sales...

I got an email from Gr8Tops announcing a Memorial Day Sale - 15% Off All Heavy Duty Tailgate Accessories. This includes the MORryde Tailgate Reinforcement, HD Spare Carrier and HD hinges for the JK/JKU and the Tailgate Reinforcement and HD/Wide Swing tailgate hinges for the TJ/LJ. Code is 15Off, Expires 5/28/2019. They're also offering $150 off any hardtop, including the LJ and TJ Safari Cabs. (www.gr8tops.com).

Also got an email today from OK4WD, their sale is $50 off orders of $500 or more, so you could get a Trail Kitchen (https://ok4wd.com/morryde-jeep-trail-kitchen-kit-mhdjp54-038) for $567.99, which is a killer deal. Their sale ends 5/26.

Last edited:

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I only have the winch receiver and winch installed when I'm on expeditions where I might need to recover myself. At Easter Jeep Safari, if I need help (as I did in the photos I posted), I'm always with a group so I just bring a tow strap. I mount the winch when I'm exploring alone and there wouldn't be anyone to help.

The winch receiver installs/removed in minutes, so when it's not in use it's hanging on the wall in the garage. The top one is for the LJ; the lower one is for the JKU. Also hanging there is the tow bar which attaches to either.

RcvrStorage_zps6sybqyly.jpg

Installed:

LJDone1_zps1vbsp3bz.jpg

Wiring for the winch is installed in all 3 of my Jeeps, so whenever one I install the winch receiver and winch on one of the m the wiring is already there ready to plug into the winch.

Lucky j

Explorer
Cool, with me, I just tought you had made this so only the winch would be flexible and quick install. In this case, you could have only gone with installing and renoving the winch plate on the proper jeep. With the same conector for the wires.

But this is just me. Have a good one. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh00333