Hummer H3T pickup announced

evldave

Expedition Trophy Winner
4Rescue said:
Seriously??? That is cool, I had no idea you could get one equiped like that.

yeah, they are rare, when I bought mine I wanted black, cloth seats, and 5 speed. There weren't any and the nearest in-stock was in Sacramento (I live near Portland, OR). Ended up settling for black, cloth & slushbox. When I get the H3T it'll be a mix DD, Tow rig (camp trailer, utility trailer, etc) and off-road, so I'll have to stick w/the auto :(

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
I'm curious, what is it that's going to make you want another H3??? A double Cab-Taco seems like a far better option than this new H3t...

easy610

Observer
4Rescue said:
I'm curious, what is it that's going to make you want another H3??? A double Cab-Taco seems like a far better option than this new H3t...

+1....waiting for more knowledgible people to answer...

LOVE the look of the H3T but wonder what its got over the 4dr Taco...price? Nope. MPG? Nope. Reliability? Nope. Ease of finding a stealership if needed? Nope.

Better at off-roading? Don't know...not necessarily from my research..but again I don't have NEAR the experience of many of you....

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
easy610 said:
+1....waiting for more knowledgible people to answer...

LOVE the look of the H3T but wonder what its got over the 4dr Taco...price? Nope. MPG? Nope. Reliability? Nope. Ease of finding a stealership if needed? Nope.

Better at off-roading? Don't know...not necessarily from my research..but again I don't have NEAR the experience of many of you....
Unless they actualy put the F/R lockers in it, it will have absolutely NO advantage. Currently it has lower T-case gears, which can be good and bad, but again, it's a GM product so it's nowhere near the build quality of it's foriegn counterparts...

Edit: I will ad however, so as not to completely slag the truck, that I am ASTONISHED and over joyed that you can get one with Cloth and a 5spd... THAT is a great thing that all real trucks should have as an option. If it had manual windows and an actual lever for the t-case (or is there one? gotta admit, I didn't look in the one I drove/rode in)

Are the h3's full-time 4wd (ala newer Land Cruisers) or are they 2wd/4wd like regular trucks?

Last edited:

evldave

Expedition Trophy Winner
ok, so as the lone H3 driver here (I think), I'll try and answer your questions...

It's full-time 4wd. 60/40 split in the xfer case (60% power to rear, 40% to front). In regular driving there is no torque-steer. You can (via button, not stick) put it in 50/50 split, which works much better in sloppy conditions, but does tend to torque-steer a little. I have the adventure package, so it does have the electronic rear locker. It's been confirmed that 2009 H3s (SUV & Truck) will have F/R lockers. Assuming that doesn't cause the front dif to grenade, that is... :)

I've ridden in taco's, not a lot, but i'd be willing to bet that the H3 is significantly more comfortable for long hauls. This is also my DD and the family makes 3-5 long (2k+ mile) trips each year - comfort for not just me but wife + 2 kids + 2 dogs.

From a reliability standpoint, I've had nothing that would leave me stranded, and my entire family has 2006+ GM trucks (a tahoe, silverado, and 2500) - I put the least amount of miles on our vehicles and so far (knock on wood) I'm the only one with any warranty work done (and it was minor). While data seems to indicate 'yotas have better quality, my personal experience is that GM has really done a much better job over the past few years in this area.

Not sure where the taco is built, but the H3 is built in Shreveport for an American company. All major components are built in the US. I'm not a buy-american fanatic, but where I can I prefer to support my neighbor first.

Never wheeled with a taco, but everything I've read is that for stock capability it goes Rubi, H3, then everything else. Not sure how the H3T will do now that it's got a much longer wheelbase, but the basic capability is there.

And I've always prided myself on not having a run-of-the-mill vehicle. My Cherokee was heavily modded, and my Sub was heavily modded for longer North America based camping trips (we won't go into my short-lived BMW phase :smilies27: ). Tacos (and many other models) are nice pickups, but they aren't a Hummer. I don't have the time right now to spend a lot of time/effort modding a rig, so out-of-the-box is what I get.

I'm not blingy show (i HATE chrome), I prefer modest-unique-capable, and most trucks give me capable & modest, but not unique. Of course I do have to put up with the occasional finger and egging (yes, been egged twice :violent-smiley-031: )

When we finally start going on longer land-based expeditions out of NA, we'll likely switch over to a LR for all the reasons everyone does. Until then, might as well have a capable, unique rig that satisfies all our current needs.

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
Glad to hear you've had good luck with your truck Dave.

I can't figure out why they (car companies) refuse to make these trucks RWD with T-cases for when we want 4wd... seems like alot of fuel could be saved with a part time case and manual locking hubs...

The Fr Locker thing is interesting, I wonder if they will significantly upgrade the front diff? Or maybe it will be Electro-nannied so as not to kill itself (this will definately happen, but to what extent will remain to be seen). All of the trucks offered in N.America with F/R lockers have solid axles to handle the duties, I shudder to think what'll hapen to the majority of CV's when the masses get to pushing those buttons on the dash...

I too am from portland, maybe we'll see each other out on the trail this spring, there are a bunch of os Oregonians showing up here, we need to organize a rally of some sorts...

Cheers

Dave

S

Scenic WonderRunner

H3Truck.pier.700.jpg

haven

Expedition Leader
visibility

The H3 series is roundly criticized for lack of outward visibility, and rightly so. Does the Colorado suffer from the same issues? The photos of the Colorado show larger windows in the doors and a sloped windshield that extends farther into the roof. This makes me think it's much better than the H3 in this regard.

How about this project: Buy an el cheapo single cab Colorado and an H3T. Then move all the goodies (V8, locking axles, big tires, and so on) from the H3T to the Colorado. Result: No outward visibility issues, and an instant competitor for the AEV Brute.

colorado.jpg

Now that Overland Journal is doing so well, I think the magazine could afford to pay for this project!

Chip Haven

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Or just do a Solid axle swap on the Colorado & throw in a V8. I would leave the motor alone, Change the axles, build a sweet flatbed, (or another version of the A/T Taco Chaser), throw in an AtlasII, and you're good to go!!

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
haven said:
The H3 series is roundly criticized for lack of outward visibility, and rightly so. Does the Colorado suffer from the same issues? The photos of the Colorado show larger windows in the doors and a sloped windshield that extends farther into the roof. This makes me think it's much better than the H3 in this regard.

How about this project: Buy an el cheapo single cab Colorado and an H3T. Then move all the goodies (V8, locking axles, big tires, and so on) from the H3T to the Colorado. Result: No outward visibility issues, and an instant competitor for the AEV Brute.

colorado.jpg

Now that Overland Journal is doing so well, I think the magazine could afford to pay for this project!

Chip Haven
I think if GM put a small Diesel in this truck and offered some off-road goodies, it would be the best truck in their line up... Course they'd never do that cause it'd take away from slaes of their "flagship off roadVehicle" that costs alot more...

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
haven said:
...Buy an el cheapo single cab Colorado and an H3T

You're missing a major feature of the 2nd row seats? The Colorado doesn't come in tray-back with 4 doors...though neither does the H3T.

haven

Expedition Leader
Colorado

I'm not losing the second row, I'm gaining a shorter wheelbase! And better visibility from the cab, too.

Maybe Hummer will use the single cab Colorado as the basis for the production version of the HX project vehicle. Let's call it the H4.

There are rumors that Chevy will halt production of the Colorado, converting the Shreveport plant to Hummer production only. The problem faced by the Colorado is that it costs only a little less than a comparably equipped full size truck. Chevy would prefer that customers buy the full-size model, so with factory incentives the full-size can end up costing less.

Chip Haven

DenCo40

Adventurer
Looks pretty cool. Why don't they just call the new pickup a Colorado? Everything underneath is the same plus it looks waaaay better.

evldave

Expedition Trophy Winner
Denvertaco said:
Looks pretty cool. Why don't they just call the new pickup a Colorado? Everything underneath is the same plus it looks waaaay better.

It's a pretty common thought that the Colorado and H3 platforms are the same. Yes, the H3 is based on the Colorado frame, but after that it's all different - the H3 uses fully boxed frame rails, extra crossmembers (I think 3 more), the engine block is the same (intake/exhaust are different), AFAIK the colorado will not have F/R lockers, the gearing is different, etc. Try and fit 35's on a stock colorado - won't even be close, but you can fit 35's on a stock H3 with only a little rubbing at full lock.

So they aren't exactly the same - the H3 has a lot of the upgrades you'd do to a colorado to make it a pretty capable offroader + it's a lot more plush inside (and looks better). oh, yeah...and you pay a lot more for it too :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk