I decided to build my own Pop Top camper

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
Depending what the hinge area is like you might try EternaBond instead. It is a tape and is more flexible. It is very sticky so it won't come off. In my experience it is a great product.
Same experience here with Eternabond. I have used it on my pop up camper roof after using it successfully on my travel trailer. Sticks like poop to a blanket...heh, and bonds to just about anything. EPDM for sure, and painted fiberglass (as on my camper roof). Clean the surface with methyl hydrate first, and it will bond to your roof I am sure.

Sorry to hear you had leaks.

97heavyweight

Thanks for the recommendations ITTOG and Vanisle Greg. I’ll get some ordered up and try it out. I think what I need to do is remove the camper and put a better seal. What I used was an open cell foam and I should’ve gone with rubber. The more you know. Lol

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
Thanks for the recommendations ITTOG and Vanisle Greg. I’ll get some ordered up and try it out. I think what I need to do is remove the camper and put a better seal. What I used was an open cell foam and I should’ve gone with rubber. The more you know. Lol
The more you know indeed...heh. I guess that's how it goes when you DIY it? I am having a few challenges myself, and part of the reason my project stalled so bad was family and personal illness... but also motivation. Ran into some problems, and then more problems... and then had to re-do a whole bunch of work someone else did, and it killed my MoJo.

Keep at it man, looking good.

Mules

Great thread! I just found this and will probably have a ton of questions, that you have probably already answered. Sorry if this is a repeat, but did you use pneumatic struts for the top and what weight are they. I'm building my own pop top and any advise would help. Still a long way from being road worth, but getting closer.

IMG_5660.JPGScreen Shot 2021-12-10 at 6.06.48 PM.png

Last edited:

97heavyweight

Great thread! I just found this and will probably have a ton of questions, that you have probably already answered. Sorry if this is a repeat, but did you use pneumatic struts for the top and what weight are they. I'm building my own pop top and any advise would help. Still a long way from being road worth, but getting closer.

Thanks!! It's been fun. Feel free to ask any questions. I am using 36" 50lb struts in the front. The reason I only have them in the front is because I need to lower my roof an inch or get heavier weighted struts. If I leave my roof height as is I cannot put one side up then the other. Due to the arc that occurs when picking up one side at a time I limit out the struts. I'm sure there is math involved and I would recommend finding out and suing it. I did a lot of guessing and got sort of lucky. That's a cool camper you have btw.

rruff

Explorer
I was more referring to math involved with angles and lengths. I did not specify that though.
Ya, that part is what I meant. Gravity acting at the CG of your topper is the downforce. If you have a hinge then multiply by the horizontal distance to that, to get the downward torque. Your struts need to counter that (at least). You are going straight up though which is simpler.

I don't understand what you mean by this; can you clarify? Why couldn't you lift both sides simultaneously? "The reason I only have them in the front is because I need to lower my roof an inch or get heavier weighted struts. If I leave my roof height as is I cannot put one side up then the other. Due to the arc that occurs when picking up one side at a time I limit out the struts."

Mules

I found this video that explains a simple straight up lift mechanism. I'm guessing you could add pneumatic struts to aid in lifting.

97heavyweight

I don't understand what you mean by this; can you clarify? Why couldn't you lift both sides simultaneously? "The reason I only have them in the front is because I need to lower my roof an inch or get heavier weighted struts. If I leave my roof height as is I cannot put one side up then the other. Due to the arc that occurs when picking up one side at a time I limit out the struts."

The struts i have aren't heavy enough to allow me to push the roof open so i have to do one side at a time. It got real wonky with the rear struts installed and them being at their full length when setup. It's hard to explain.

97heavyweight

Did some work on the Tacoma the other day. Cleaned up some under hood wiring and decided to add some limb risers to see how they do. I think for optimal performance they are to shallow of an angle and would be better off mounted to a front bumper hoop, but alas I do not and will not have a bumper that large. This was cheap enough for me so I figured it is worth a try.

Don't worry though next update will be on some much needed camper build out. The condensation has been insane so I am moving my timeline up and i have ordered my insulation and all the various things I need. I will be mounting Cargo L-Tracks to the roof and sides as well as the rear. I will be cutting holes for the solar wires and for water in and out.

Attachments

• IMG_1998.jpg
    IMG_1998.jpg
    419 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_1999.jpg
    IMG_1999.jpg
    584.2 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_2001.jpg
    IMG_2001.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 49
  • IMG_2002.jpg
    IMG_2002.jpg