I decided to build my own Pop Top camper

trasko

Adventurer
@97heavyweight
Can you briefly cover the water intrusion issues, where and what caused it? What design flaw or building technique wasn't up to the job? Waterproof is task #1 for a self built camper, so folks reading your thread will really miss out on a huge learning lesson of you don't mention how to improve this. Thanks.
Agree 100%! I've been subscribed to this thread for years. I'm working up to building my own camper probably this winter. I'm pulling ideas from here and there but one factor I've seen with a lot of the "DIY" / no-weld / no-sew builds is that they are relatively cheap and easy to build but in the long-run they don't work out due to issues like this. I'm no expert and I'm definitely going to make mistakes. I'd rather learn from others so I'm at least making new mistakes and not repeating ones others have already made!

97heavyweight

@97heavyweight
Can you briefly cover the water intrusion issues, where and what caused it? What design flaw or building technique wasn't up to the job? Waterproof is task #1 for a self built camper, so folks reading your thread will really miss out on a huge learning lesson of you don't mention how to improve this. Thanks.
That's not a bad idea at all.

97heavyweight

The reason I have had water intrusion is directly related to my choice of canvas and the unfortunate lack of a drip edge.

First mistake: I decided to use a lite 5oz waterproof canvas instead of the industry standard 16-18oz vinyl coated polyester.
Second Mistake: My initial idea for a drip edge did not work out as I had hoped. The first winter I had no drip edge at all and while the unit was closed the small edge of exposed canvas would become soaked beyond it's waterproofness and then start dripping inside the camper. I solved this issue with Duct Tape and that solution worked for about 1.5 years without fail. I could have probably replaced all of the duct tape and been just fine for another 1.5 years.

I'm sure if I really wanted to I could have come up with a better solution this summer and removed the old canvas and installed a proper drip edge. However, there are some items that my camper was missing and would always miss due to its size so that is why I decided not to pursue repairs.

I will say that after three years of heavy use. Spending roughly 9-10months sleeping in it and driving many thousands of miles off road the camper has held up and done an amazing job. I am excited for the new camper, but also bummed at the loss of my old camper.

Last edited:

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
Man, I replied to this on my phone right after your initial post about moving on... and it wasn't posted? Odd.

Anyhow, the end of an era and moving on is sometimes the right thing to do. At least (and if nothing else) you got a lot of use out of it. Onwards and upwards they say.

97heavyweight

The old camper is out and the new camper is in! I drove down to San Diego and purchased a used OEV Backcountry 5.85. First three nights in it were a blast! This camper is a game changer. Admittedly it is significantly heavier than the old setup. My total weight is 7500lbs and my fuel economy is the same at 13.5mpg which is fine by me.

Attachments

• 26.jpg
    26.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 30
  • 27.jpg
    27.jpg
    818.6 KB · Views: 30
  • 28.jpg
    28.jpg
    617.1 KB · Views: 29
  • 29.jpg
    29.jpg
    978.9 KB · Views: 30
  • 30.jpg
    30.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 32
  • 31.jpg
    31.jpg
    381 KB · Views: 30
  • 32.jpg
    32.jpg
    409.1 KB · Views: 30
  • 33.jpg
    33.jpg
    761.6 KB · Views: 32
  • 34.jpg
    34.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 31

97heavyweight

With the new camper this thread is dead. I will of course respond to any questions that people may have in the future, but I will not be adding any more to this one.

I will most likely start a new thread for the OEV as there doesn't seem to be a lot out there for them.

jaywo

With the new camper this thread is dead. I will of course respond to any questions that people may have in the future, but I will not be adding any more to this one.

I will most likely start a new thread for the OEV as there doesn't seem to be a lot out there for them.

I read one of your old post where you tried to put your maxxfan at speed 3 to create positive pressure and prevent dust from entering your camper. Over the years, has this solution worked well for you? Is speed 3 still the best? Do you do this with the lid close or open? If you cross path with someone on a dusty trail, or follow someone, doesn’t the fan blow all the dust in the camper?

Thanks!

97heavyweight

I read one of your old post where you tried to put your maxxfan at speed 3 to create positive pressure and prevent dust from entering your camper. Over the years, has this solution worked well for you? Is speed 3 still the best? Do you do this with the lid close or open? If you cross path with someone on a dusty trail, or follow someone, doesn’t the fan blow all the dust in the camper?

Thanks!

Speed 3 or 4 works great. The fan lid is closed. It's enough to build pressure to keep dust out, but not too much to suck dust past the seal of the lid.

97heavyweight

Man, I replied to this on my phone right after your initial post about moving on... and it wasn't posted? Odd.

Anyhow, the end of an era and moving on is sometimes the right thing to do. At least (and if nothing else) you got a lot of use out of it. Onwards and upwards they say.
So far this new era has been amazing. When it is buggy and muggy out i can comfortably hang out in the camper with a nice breeze and even a view. Excited for the upcoming adventures.

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
So far this new era has been amazing. When it is buggy and muggy out i can comfortably hang out in the camper with a nice breeze and even a view. Excited for the upcoming adventures.
I bet man...

I really like those campers. I have seen a few around over the years, and they seem to be well made. I think they are from Canada too as I recall? So, likely well insulated. lol

Enjoy man. WHen you start a new thread be sure to post a link here so we can find you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smithmds77