I need new boots....

skysix

Adventurer
All you EVER wanted to know about boots for the arctic/antarctic...

All the types mentioned would freeze your toes below zero. The toe box is too small - and the lack of breathability in some will cause sweat to condense on the inside of the boot, run down the material and freeze into ice under your sole). Not to mention soaking your socks (all the better to conduct the heat away from your feet).

The Canadian Army's mukluks are the best for pure cold weather - good to -60 if active, -40 if not. Providing they are worn properly, and are dry. I have used a pair of Acton Chimo's (civilian version of the same design - mostly)with the Milspec 1/2" thick felt insole and dual 1/4" thick mesh insoles (one on each side of the felt insole - allows breathing space for air circulation as well as a place for condensation to collect and freeze without soaking the felt). Kept my feet warm at -48 (-74 with wind chill!) Need to wear a thin (silk is best) sock inside a heavy wool one (Icelandic 100% is good - or any thick 85% or better wool sock) to prevent blisters. Carry a total of 4 pairs of each sock and 2 sets of felt/mesh insoles and duffle liners in case you break through the overflow on an ice crossing etc.

bootsmukluks.jpg

As to getting fluids on the Acton's - simply strip the double wool duffel inner liner and the insoles from the boot (and remove the laces) then toss in a washing machine on gentle - let air dry. Avoid spilling naptha (evaporation = instant frostbite) or gas/diesel on them - will make your feet cold quickly and are hard to clean. Dirt = less breathability = moister = colder. My oldest pair is 18 years or so and has survived literally countless washings. The upper is actually really quite water repellant - unless you stand in it - so in a splash situation I doubt any will penetrate. And polyester doesn't absorb moisture itself. Even if it does penetrate there is another 3/4" or so of layers to penetrate before touching skin... They also make a black version for mine and oilpatch workers, and I have seen a navy blue version the RCMP ordered once upon a time. Given the choice I'd take the milspec version over the commercial one as the components are sturdier. The commercial version is actually warmer (civilians tend to be allowed to stand around more...) but the mil version's components are far more durable and easy to clean/maintain. Just change out the standard laces for ones that will not absorb moisture or they can freeze into a knot if they get wet.

http://www.actoncanada.ca/products/index.p...ompletedata/76/

I've tried the US military "Bunny Boot" (made by BATA, originally a Czech company that moved to Canada after the communists nationalized their holdings behind the Iron Curtain) which are good to -30 in actual practice if you are not very actively moving around, and they are totally waterproof (rubber to 6" above ankle). They rely on a wool duffle filled air bladder (so NEVER let water get into the bladder - by leaving valve open when wearing for instance - or they are actually dangerous to wear!) between two layers of rubber for insulation so are not practicle for flight as you constantly have to vent or passively allow the bladder to inflate. They have a black version ("Mickey") which has less insulation and is good to -10 or so. Both can rapidly cause you to get trenchfoot as your feet are constantly wet so you better have spare socks with you and be able to change them out whenever your feet get sweated or every 2 hours or so if active. But they are ideal in southern or coastal regions where you can step into standing water a lot. Basically Bunny's for wet cold areas, Chimo's for dry cold.

0134a.jpg

http://www.bunnyboots.com/bunnyboot/faq.html

The warmest boots I have used are Kamiks - double layer sealskin mucklucks. Sometimes made with double duffle layers and a felt insole. No mesh insoles needed as the sealskin is like gortex - it breathes yet is waterproof. Better even than Gortex as temperature seems not to affect it - which is good for sweating seals in the arctic! (Gortex by the way is dangerous beow -25/-30 or so as the moisture condenses on the inside and soaks the inner layers of whatever it surrounds - not enough heat driven vapor pressure to overcome the conducted cold from the outside air) Unfortunately they are illegal to cross the US border with (coming from a marine mammal) and since no rigid sole can be hard on your feet when using stairs etc. Pic shows traditional outer and inner sealskin kamiks (skin reversed so fur inside facing bare feet - that's right, NO SOCKS, although again thin silk is best IMHO) sewn with seal sinew and actually waterproof... Caution - if you are not at temps of at least -30 these will be too hot! And since the skins are untanned (usually) they will rot in warm environments - keep them in the cold and you're fine (the ones I wore were kept in a freezer in the summer)

13068_1269677897664_1101353000_30870276_8164722_n.jpg

http://www.nativeaccess.com/ancestral/sealskin-2.html

Enough of the data dump!

Last edited:

151fab

Observer
This is the style (meaning height of the boot) that I like. This is an orvis boot, but not the same that I currently have.

827-85147-d.jpg

~James

Could you tell me or forward to me the link to that exact model of boot. I can't find it on the Orvis website and I'd like to get a pair?

colter

Observer
I'll second the recommendation of lathrop and sons. I got the rally point boot package about a year ago, and they are great. I always wore danners, but these are the best boots I've ever had. very comfortable, especially for hiking or walking alot.

on a side note, my dad still has his limmer hiking boots from 30 years ago, and they seem to have held up well.

sjester

Observer
Russells

I've been wearing Russell Moccasins for 10 years now. My original pair has been resoled 4 times and completely rebuilt once. I've worn them almost every day, only switching out with a pair of PH Safaris I had built about 6 months after the originals. The PH boots are having to be completely replaced and I have a new pair already built that should arrive the end of next week. I'm very hard on boots wearing them for work and typically went through 2 pairs a year with a lot of foot pain before finding these. I've got completely flat feet and soles/heels would wear unevenly. Have not had a problem with boots from this outfit.

My new PH Safaris are going to be all leather. I wore holes through the canvas and while they are able to patch some holes, but now the canvas looks like swiss cheese. It was a large investment initially but if you wear them everyday and you're hard on boots I think you'll likely be saving money after just a few years.

Steve

Spikepretorius

Explorer
I just wear a variety of Hi-Tec boots and shoes.
Locally they are cheap and freely available and they do the job well. Been wearing them for decades

http://www.hi-tec.com/

I bought some a couple of days ago and I see they are now made in China (isn't everything?) so they will probably be shunned by you guys.

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
I have been wearing discontinued Beretta Tactical boots. Glad I bought as many as I found at the time. They have been working very well for me. Light and comfortable, as well as durable. I bought them for $19-$29 and added a zipper to a couple pair for an additional $9.
Also made in China. Like you said, what isn't.

Cackalak Han

Explorer
Sorry to bring this back up. I currently have a pair of Vasque boots I bought 10 years ago (full leather. Don't know the model). I don't know if my feet have actually grown, but they are a bit tight now. (I am the same weight and height as I was 10 years ago). I love these boots and they still have quite a bit of life left in them. Shame they have to go.

When I bought these, I purposely looked for boxes that said, "Made in Italy", because the Chinese made boots had some quality issues. Looks like that's still prevalent today.

That Zamberlan 310 looked very interesting to me. I'll have to head to REI to try on a pair. Any other USA or Italian made shoes that you guys recommend? The Russell's seem to make good boots, but call me vain, I can't stand the looks of them. (sorry, guys...). If it came down to it, yes, function over looks. But with the many choices, I'll take the pair that's aesthetically pleasing, as well.

I wish I had bought about 2 or 3 pairs of these Vasque's back 10 years ago. I have not had a single problem with this pair. Many many miles of dry, wet, cold, hot, rocky, sandy hiking in these, too.

Asolo TPS 520 GV

http://www.rei.com/product/693828

I've worn some variation of this boot for years, probably since 1988 or 89.
They have gotten higher, a little heavier, and more of a mountaineering boot in that time frame. I bought my last pair of Vasque boots a year ago and got very little wear out of them and now have another pair of the Asolo boots. I bought my first pair of Vasque Hiker II boots at Mountain Chalet in Colorado Springs in 1973. They were a pretty good boot then, but I replaced them with Lowa boots after a couple of years. I have been most consistently pleased with the Asolo boots.

spressomon

Expedition Leader
Asolo TPS 520 GV

http://www.rei.com/product/693828

I've worn some variation of this boot for years, probably since 1988 or 89.
They have gotten higher, a little heavier, and more of a mountaineering boot in that time frame. I bought my last pair of Vasque boots a year ago and got very little wear out of them and now have another pair of the Asolo boots. I bought my first pair of Vasque Hiker II boots at Mountain Chalet in Colorado Springs in 1973. They were a pretty good boot then, but I replaced them with Lowa boots after a couple of years. I have been most consistently pleased with the Asolo boots.

I have the same boots sans Goretex and love them. One of the best pair of boots I've ever owned. They are best for medium volume foot with narrow heal though...which is why I bought them :). They have held up for several week long back trips in the Sierra as well as 2 full Chukar seasons. For those that don't know chasing Chukar around is hell on boots.

Esmi

Explorer
Psuedo Danners -- read the ad closely

I'm hard on boots at work but my feet deserve quality when it comes to a pair of boots so I never skimp and buy the cheapest thing around but my last pair of Danners that I ordered directly from Danners in Oregon came in a box labeled MADE IN CHINA

To say the least I was quite disappointed since their website at the time had this big banner talking about American Craftsmanship, they have since changed the website but won't get my business again.

I was gonna start a new thread with this cautionary tale, but it fits perfectly here.

My story is that I buy good boots (Danner Power Foremans) every 10 years or so and they cost $270. That averages $27/toe, maybe a little more for the big ones and a little less for the little ones.

I recently ordered a pair from Cabela's because they were comparatively cheap ($19.99 per toe), and it is getting to be about time.

They looked like my regular boots, but they were well well priced. When they got here, I find that they are co-labelled Danner/Cabela and not of the quality I associate with Danner. I can't tell you what is wrong with them, only that they are a Danner logo'd knock-off of Danner work boots.

I am going to keep them, for the sake of science, but clearly they are not as well made and the Cabela's catalog pulled a bait-and-switch on an unsuspecting customer. I will write a letter to Cabelas related how I dislike being duped, and I thought we trusted each other, and blah blah blah.

Regarding Danner, I am sorry for them. I think they are selling out their rep as a quality bootmaker to gain incremental sales or something. I will probably write them a letter, too.

EDIT: I see from the box that these are made in USA, which is good. I also see that the Danner box has a sticker with the Cabelas barcode on it. The name on the bar code is "Cabela's Foreman," which in my mind is further evidence that Cabelas is trying to con me into buying an inferior product by naming it after the real deal.

Last edited:

RHINO

Expedition Leader
I just wear a variety of Hi-Tec boots and shoes.
Locally they are cheap and freely available and they do the job well. Been wearing them for decades

I bought some a couple of days ago and I see they are now made in China (isn't everything?) so they will probably be shunned by you guys.

not by me, my "boots" have been hi tec for years. but i barely ever wear boots so a pair lasts forever.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy