I need new boots....

StumpXJ

SE Expedition Society
Ok, after spending a few hours (literally) on the Russell Moccasin site, and re-reading the overland journal review, I am sold. It is hard to beat the level of exactness that these boots should be built to compared to an off the shelf boot.

If you are one of the lucky guys who can buy pretty much any boot or shoe from a store, and have it fit perfectly, this probably is not neccesary for you. I however have never been able to do that easily. I think its time for a custom made boot, and once I decide on the style and options I want, I am going to make the purchase. Its a fairly involved ordering process with all of the measurements, but I think it will be worth it. I also apparently have to make my Orvis boots last another 5 months (18weeks), as that is the time it will take until I get the custom pair from Russell. I think I can do it.

It will also be nice to not have to throw out these things when they get some wear (aka 'broken in to the point they start to fit right') on them. Just send em back in, and they come back as good as new for a few bucks.

Now, anyone wanna help me build my new boots? LOl....

Seriously, if you need new boots, spend an hour or two reading over the Russell wesbite.

I am probably going to go with their Safari PH, with a few custom options of course...

safari_phlg.gif

spressomon

Expedition Leader
I have a pair of these on the way...Filson Chukka. Mainly going to use them for when overlanding, etc.

Attachments

• FILSON1-2233007dt.jpg
    FILSON1-2233007dt.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 161
Last edited:

bucketosudz

Explorer
Stump, Make sure if you havent considered already, to get the heel counter. They are as comfy as all get out without, but they are not that great hiking without the support for the heel.

buddha

Adventurer
Ok, after spending a few hours (literally) on the Russell Moccasin site, and re-reading the overland journal review, I am sold.

I'm so hard on boots, I've never taken the plunge for Russell. However, a good friend has been wearing his Russell Moc's since he was in High School, and he's in his 30's now. They take a licking and just keep on ticking. I don't think you can go wrong...

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
Personally I have had great luck with Lowa boots Some of the high end models are hand made in Germany and run around 2 bills. I do no think for the money you could find a better boot, just a different one.

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
...No they are not as waterproof as a boot with Gore Tex, but they don't make your feet sweat either...
http://limmerboot.com/Lightweight.html
http://www.limmerboot.com/Limmerswf.html

I can't stand that all major boot manufacturers have Gore Tex in their shoes now. I think it's a marketing catch 22. Everyone's doing it, so everyone's doing it. Good construction and leather treatment has always proven useful when waterproofing was necessary, yet allowing the leather to breathe. If your feet can't breathe in their shoes, what's the point of the waterproof Gore Tex? Your feet won't be dry for long anyway.

I like the idea of these shoes and the look of them as well. I can't seem to get any pricing info off their website. Can you share with us what you paid for your lightweights?

Nadir_E

Adventurer
Hanwag Boots

You might give the Hanwag boot line a look while you're at it:

http://lathropandsons.com/catalog/index.php

To avoid some of the sticker shock, just look at "boots" not "boot systems." :)

I have a pair that have held up quite well, though they're not getting as much use as I'd planned.... <sniff!> ;)

-N

Ruffin' It

Explorer
I know you are going for the Russell's (and for good reason), but I have to chime in here. I bought the Zamberlan 310's a little while ago and they are GREAT!!! I have stopped wearing all my other shoes. My poor girlfriend had to tell me that I can't wear them out on our dates. They do have a bit of a narrow toe box, but Adventure 16 worked 'em a little bit for me for free (even though I didn't buy them there) and they are amazing.
I tried to put a pair of Super Feet insoles in them and actually ended up going back to the factory ones because they are more comfortable.
With my REI dividen check and the 20% coupon they are pushing, I picked up for $100.

Bhos

Adventurer
Meindls are good boots too. I have a pair for hunting and they have taken a beating...and still do well. Cabelas has boots made by them.

TCM

Adventurer, Overland Certified OC0006
I can't stand that all major boot manufacturers have Gore Tex in their shoes now. I think it's a marketing catch 22. Everyone's doing it, so everyone's doing it. Good construction and leather treatment has always proven useful when waterproofing was necessary, yet allowing the leather to breathe. If your feet can't breathe in their shoes, what's the point of the waterproof Gore Tex? Your feet won't be dry for long anyway.

I like the idea of these shoes and the look of them as well. I can't seem to get any pricing info off their website. Can you share with us what you paid for your lightweights?

The Lightweight model was $240 when I purchased them a few years back. At that time Limmer boots were sold in a select few outfitters around the country. Since then Limmer has taken all sales in house and only sell direct. Before you make a purchase they have you measure your feet in several places to confirm the size.

And I could not agree more regarding Gore Tex. It is highly over rated in boots. The Limmers are made with a single piece of leather (accept for the lace area) that is stiched in a single seam up the side of the arch. With appropriate boot grease applied they are nearly waterproof yet breath very well. Even in desert conditions there is no sweat build up. There are very few boots still available that use the old school stitch down method of construction. The break-in can be tough but once done there is no better type of boot in my opinion.

I also recommend Meindls as suggested by Bhos, but they are very hard to come by here in the US. The best source is a company out of Canada called AJ Brooks. The Perfekt model is really good stuff

Attachments

• Perfekt 2.jpg
    Perfekt 2.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 85

bj70_guy

Adventurer
But these Danners are pretty sweet too... Buddha, how are Danners when it comes to size? little large? little small? I normally wear a 12.5 size boot, and it has to be at least a 2E width. Typically, I can wear a normal 12, if it is a 4E width, or a 13 if it is a 2E width. (insert boat paddle jokes here...)

~James

I'm a fellow "paddler". I wear new balance runners in 11EEEE, and get away with Danner Acadias in 11.5EE. My older Danners were only 11EE, but last time I bought that size was too narrow.

The US-made Danners are great boots.

StumpXJ

SE Expedition Society
BJ, I have a pair of New Balance 4E's right now, and they are a great sneaker. They are about the only company that makes them that wide! I am very much looking forward to getting a boot that is built to match my foot....

~James

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy