If Jeep offered more choices.....

Clutch

<---Pass
Nice. I was wondering if there would be horrible build-up on the injectors or anywhere else critical?
I figure I would run a very high grade diesel filter anyway when in 3rd world countries, so that would help with the "contaminants" side of things.

Thanks for the info... (sorry for the thread hijack)

-Dan

Just one example of many, and remember it is illegal to do...:ylsmoke:

http://www.dpfdeletekits.com/

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
One note.

To delete the DPF and EGR on a diesel jeep IF we end up getting it will require the computer to be 'adjusted' also. Historically the Jeep product computers have been some of the LEAST supported in the aftermarket ( because the code is so tightly controlled ). I would imagine if we where lucky enough to get the diesel option its going to be VERY poorly supported in the USA aftermarket.

What is the status of ultra low sulfer fuel in other countries outside the USA? Is europe using ALL ULSD now?
How is the rest of the world getting around these issues with other vehicles? Are the engines just offered in a 3rd world emissions version?

Frank

Explorer
There is support where there is product demand.

Honda is said to be one of the most sealed up computer codes in the automotive industry and there are several open source computer re-write programs on the market as well as several piggy back systems out there for Honda. Jeep's code will be broke if someone wants to break it.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Tough call. I know a decent amount of people have tried over the years. We are JUST starting to see the Dodge Cummins computers fully cracked to use EFIlive now.

I guess what I am saying is that unless jeep makes a LOT of diesel jeeps AND they start to become a MAJOR factor in the market there just isn't going to be the numbers needed to make something like a DPF, EGR, and computer programming viable.

I'm not saying I wouldn't like to see that many diesel jeeps on the road.....YES PLEASE....but I guess I am having a realistic day or something.

toymaster

Explorer
...I would imagine if we where lucky enough to get the diesel option its going to be VERY poorly supported in the USA aftermarket.

The jeep (the only real jeep, what now goes by 'wrangler') is the most aftermarket supported vehicle in the world. All companies large and small fall over themselves to market products for a jeep. If there is any product out there, there is an app for the jeep. Many thousands would cry out for this so it would not be long till the need is met as long as the price tag is reasonable.

There are limits, an example is a small &#8216;company' came out with a kit to install a 4bt in a JK. Everyone cried great till a price tag of $10K was place on the kit. If it would have been $5K, as with the hemi kit, then it would have sold.

teleturns

Adventurer
If they offered a diesel with 6 speed manual in the JKU, and offered a stripped down Rubicon package, I'd order one tomorrow.. I don't need $12000 worth of mall crawler gizmology..

X2 on this but I don't mind the automatic.....As I have stated before, I would sell everything I own to drive a Diesel JKUR!

njtacoma

Explorer
for me its not drivetrain, so much, I would actually like a really cramped third row to stash friends of the kids to get across town. I realize I'm asking for a small suburban, but solid axles, right now I just don't want a third vehicle in the fleet.

Clutch

<---Pass
Just roughly looking through it......doesn't look that good in Mexico for ULSD.

Even diesel in general...we go to Baja quite a bit, gas can be sometimes scarce....and diesel is even harder to come by.

There have been times where we had to bum gas off of ranchers.

njtacoma

Explorer
Wow cool, I'll have to check that out. I had looked in the past, and didn't find anything.

Ok now I want a diesel too.

Last edited:

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Even diesel in general...we go to Baja quite a bit, gas can be sometimes scarce....and diesel is even harder to come by.

There have been times where we had to bum gas off of ranchers.

Maybe more fuel capacity makes the list then?

You can get the Longranger tank for the JK that goes on the other side of the frame from the stock tank. The Gen-Right rear tank is also an option, I think its like 20 gallons. I don't like how you have to cut the out the tub in the rear floor. I have to wonder how much capacity you could add with the factory rear tub in place? I think with both those options you can increase the capacity of the JK into the 50-60 gallon range. I would be timid about adding that much weight to the JK personally, and also though the weight is nice and low with the majority of it ahead of the rear axle, getting burried to the frame in sand with 50-60 gallons of fuel you can't remove could make for a VERY long day.

While I am not a total fan of running fuel cans inside like Tom Sheppard. I can see his reasoning. He is also running diesel fuel cans, not gasoline, that is a BIG difference in my mind. Being able to unload as much weight off the vehicle as possible could be REALLY handy.

justfred

Adventurer
I'd like the Unlimited slightly longer, or other provisions allowing the seats to be folded so I can sleep in the back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach