If Toyota made a DIESEL Tacoma for the US, would you?.....

Would you buy one?

• Yes, $35,500 for a new Taco DC Dsl 6 spd 4x4....I'M IN!

Votes: 91 78.4%
  • No, I wouldn't buy a new diesel Tacoma

Votes: 25 21.6%

• Total voters

Kaisen

Explorer
If Toyota offered a mid-cycle refreshed Tacoma for the US market with a 4 cylinder diesel motor, would you buy one?

Let's say they brought in a version of the European RAV4's 2AD-FHV; a 2.2L 4 cylinder DOHC 16V making 175 hp and 295 lb-ft torque
Compare that to the current 2.7L 4 cylinder at 159 hp and 180 lb-ft, or the 4.0L V6 at 236 hp and 266 lb-ft

Backed by the same 6 speed manual offered with the V6, let's say a Double Cab 4x4 would get 25% better fuel economy. So instead of 16 mpg city and 19 mpg highway, the diesel 6 speed would be EPA rated at 20 mpg city and 25 mpg highway. Or a regular cab 2wd would be 25 mpg city and 30 mpg highway.

Let's say the option price was $5000 over the 2.7L 4 cylinder, or $3500 over the 4.0L V6

Would you buy a NEW 2015 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab Diesel 6 spd TRD 4x4 (rated 20/25 mpg) for $35,500?

Last edited:

hornytoad

Desert Geologist
I would buy one, but we are probably going to get some type of hybrid, automatic only transmission, SAV/truck combo that has those mpg #s.

We will see diesel full size pick ups from all other manufactures first before Toyota ever thinks about making one for California emission requirements.

Elk

Observer
As a current 4.0 owner, i wouldn't make the switch. My truck is paid for, and I couldn't see recouping the fuel savings while making payments on a new vehicle.

The only diesels that would make sense for me to purchase for efficiency gains in today's market would be a return to slow, non turbo charged, mechanically injected units from the 1980's that are near tractor engines. A single repair bill for a new diesel out of warranty instantly nullifies any fuel savings.

Vantage

Adventurer
Honestly no.

I am a huge diesel fan but the numbers you posted are low for a small truck diesel.

The VW Amarok uses a Bi-turbo 2.0L 4cyl and gets 177hp and 310 torque while yielding 36mpg highway.

That sounds about right.

Vantage

Adventurer
Here is a comparison I made on Tacomaworld for the same subject. The Hilux is miles behind all the other automakers in their diesel technology, but they do have a new diesel engine coming out that is not on the list.
Hell, even the new Subaru XV Crosstrek diesel might be coming over. Its a car with 8.7" ground clearanance, a 2.0L turbo diesel engine with 150hp and 270trq and 40mpg. For some people that do light offroading and camping, it might just fit the bill. I for one am testing a gas version today. For arguments sake, a stock Tacoma has 9.3" ground clearance, stock Cherokee has 8.7", Rav4 6.3"

Subaru XV (World version)
6923474.jpg
150hp / 270trq
40+mpg.

Top Models across the world vs our Tacoma.

All info from Wikipedia, or from the Manufacturer (Using Ford.com/au, Toyota.com/au and VW.com/au.)

Top Tacoma. Baja.
2012-Toyota-Tacoma-Baja-001-450x300.jpg

236hp/266 torque

6400 towing

1000 payload

MPG 18-20.

Amarok TDI Canyon
VW-Amarok-Canyon-Concept-01s.jpg

180hp/310 torque

7000 Towing

2100 Payload

36 MPG

World Ford Ranger TDI WildTrak

Ford_Ranger_Wildtrak_front-w.jpg

3.2L Version

200hp/346 torque

7400 Towing

2200 payload

29 MPG

3.0L Version

155hp/280 torque

6600 Towing

2200 Payload

35 MPG

World Hilux Vigo TRD
TOYOTA_HILUX_VIGO_TRD.jpg

2013 Updated 3.0L

171hp/265 torque

5500 Towing

2400 Payload

30 MPG

Last edited:

Mrknowitall

Adventurer
I wouldn't buy a Tacoma with a 2.2, but I would with the recently up-rated 1 KD motor. Then again, if Toyota can give us the A760 trans, 4.10 gears and the 2GR-FTE, fuel economy, in $/mile would be similar. Going forward, Toyota really needs a Diesel V6 for the next midsize Landcruiser. A big 4cyl just can't compete with the power and refinement the competition has.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Underpowered vehicle that uses more expensive fuel and costs $5k more? Yeah, no.

Also: Am I the only one who's highly skeptical of 36mpg from the Amarok? Maybe in a base model 2wd, empty, with a 110lb driver going downhill with a tailwind, but otherwise? :rolleyes:

J

JWP58

I would. But I would also very much like a diesel World Ranger too (like the one above).

Or how about a Land Cruiser Ute???

Last edited:

haven

Expedition Leader
This article says 29 mpg (USA gallons) with the more powerful 2013 Amarok diesel
http://www.worldcarfans.com/112110550200/2013-volkswagen-amarok-gains-an-upgraded-engine-optional

And here's an article including a 2012 Ford press release that says the Ford Ranger diesel 4x4 produces 24.5 mpg (USA gallons).
http://www.worldcarfans.com/111041231363/meet-the-all-new-ford-ranger

So I think it's likely that the above figures for mpg are stated in Imperial gallons.

And Kaisen's 25 mpg for a diesel Tacoma sounds about right.

haven

Expedition Leader
This is a tough choice. For the same money, Ford, Ram and Chevy offer crew cab pickups with a gas V6 that get low to mid 20s mpg, and have close to 300 ft lb of torque. The Tacoma would be more nimble on tight trails, but otherwise has few advantages over 2014 pickups from Detroit.

Explorer 1

Explorer 1
If Toyota offered a mid-cycle refreshed Tacoma for the US market with a 4 cylinder diesel motor, would you buy one?

Let's say they brought in a version of the European RAV4's 2AD-FHV; a 2.2L 4 cylinder DOHC 16V making 175 hp and 295 lb-ft torque
Compare that to the current 2.7L 4 cylinder at 159 hp and 180 lb-ft, or the 4.0L V6 at 236 hp and 266 lb-ft

Backed by the same 6 speed manual offered with the V6, let's say a Double Cab 4x4 would get 25% better fuel economy. So instead of 16 mpg city and 19 mpg highway, the diesel 6 speed would be EPA rated at 20 mpg city and 25 mpg highway. Or a regular cab 2wd would be 25 mpg city and 30 mpg highway.

Let's say the option price was $5000 over the 2.7L 4 cylinder, or $3500 over the 4.0L V6

Would you buy a NEW 2015 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab Diesel 6 spd TRD 4x4 (rated 20/25 mpg) for $35,500?

Answer........yesterday!

Thanks,
Fred
Explorer 1

Dipodomys

Observer
20-25 mpg is nothing to write home about. I get about 17.5 mpg right now with my 4.0 V6. $5,000 more for an increase of only 3 to 8 mpg? No thanks. You can buy a lot of gas for $5,000, plus, diesel costs more than gas. And the hp/torque numbers you cited would be a big step down from that available with the V6 gas engine. All in all, few benefits.

There are plenty of diesels out there that provide substantially greater mpg and power than the numbers you provided, and that is what most of us are hoping for. I would certainly hope that if Toyota is finally considering offering a diesel in the U.S., that it will provide a lot more bang for the buck then the example you provided. Otherwise there would be few takers.

Still, the answer to your question is a definite "yes" IF the engine provided something in the 30 mpg range AND suitable hp/torque for U.S. driving conditions and expectations. We are not a flat and low elevation country like Australia, where underpowered diesels work just fine. We need power. There are plenty of engines out there that can provide the characteristics required here in the U.S., and I'd gladly pay the price you quoted for a Tacoma with the right diesel setup. I love my current Tacoma, especially now that it is properly outfitted. The current power/performance of the V6 is just fine for what I need, but my only complaint is the very mediocre mpg. If they fixed that, I'd be a Tacoma customer for life.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maynerd Mowat