If Toyota made a DIESEL Tacoma for the US, would you?.....

Would you buy one?

• Yes, $35,500 for a new Taco DC Dsl 6 spd 4x4....I'M IN!

Votes: 91 78.4%
  • No, I wouldn't buy a new diesel Tacoma

Votes: 25 21.6%

• Total voters

Ryanmb21

Expedition Leader

Note that I was specific in my post. Numbers don't lie. Is a three year old FJ Cruiser still selling for "near new" prices?

anecdotal evidence (uncountable)
A limited selection of examples which support or refute an argument, but which are not supported by scientific or statistical analysis

haddix

Adventurer
Projected resale value on 2013 models.

For 2010s we already know how it played out. Get it?

It still fares better than any chevrolet out there. PLEASE tell me what is the point of going in damn near every Toyota thread and bashing them?

hilux30

Observer
I've already made plans that if new taco does not offer a diesel, then I'm taking my 07 for a conversion at D-Toys... 'nough said..

Kaisen

Explorer
I'd much rather wait, buy a 2-3yr old model with light use and a few miles like I did with my FJC, for probably 70% of the new/no miles price.

70%?????? I need to know what sucker you bought your FJ from, since all the used Toyotas (tundra, Tacoma, FJ) are selling for "near new" prices.

You can buy 2010 FJ Cruisers for $23-26K with normal equipment/miles/condition all day long. New, they sticker for about $36K. That's 70%, give or take.
FJ Cruisers and Tundras don't hold their value any better than any other competitor.

@Kaisen, that may be your perception but I would say Toyotas do tend to have very good resale.

This little website (you may or may not heard of) agrees:
http://www.kbb.com/new-cars/best-resale-value-awards/best-resale-top-10-cars-2013/

Perception doesn't matter when there are concrete numbers.

4Runners and Tacomas have much higher resale values (percentage of original transaction prices) than Tundras and FJ Cruisers.

Note that I was specific in my post. Numbers don't lie. Is a three year old FJ Cruiser still selling for "near new" prices?

anecdotal evidence (uncountable)
A limited selection of examples which support or refute an argument, but which are not supported by scientific or statistical analysis

Projected resale value on 2013 models.

For 2010s we already know how it played out. Get it?

It still fares better than any chevrolet out there. PLEASE tell me what is the point of going in damn near every Toyota thread and bashing them?

See the exchanges above....

Where did I bash Toyota?!?!

I'm simply backing Switawi's statement that a three year old FJ Cruiser is indeed available for roughly 70% of their new MSRP, counter to JWP58's statement that all used Toyota's (FJ) sell for "near new" prices.

Which is quite provable, and not far off KBB's estimate for 36 month resale values on 2013's at 76% of new that's in the article you linked

I didn't bring Chevrolet into the exchange, and neither should you. They don't even make a FJ Cruiser competitor, so it's irrelevant to Switawi's postulate

Settle down

I will spend the money for the NEW Taco when it comes out if it meets my hopeful expectations. I am unlike most people and will drive it at least 400,000 miles. My current truck has all mine 300,000+ miles. If its a diesel the exrta cost will eventually break even with the fuel savings as long as its as reliable as my current Taco. I could care less about resale in 20 years if I get 3-4 grand I would be happy!

Ryanmb21

Expedition Leader

SWITAWI

Doesn't Get Out Enough
To clarify a little and to try and get us back on track here...
:coffee:
I'd rather buy ANY 2-3yr-old (insert GM/Ford/Dodge/Nissan/Toyota/Whathaveyou here) truck or car than pay full price for brand-new. So no, I wouldn't buy a 2015 Tacoma D-4D new for $35k, but after a couple of years I'd consider it when the buy-in price was much more favorable. As I noted to JWP58 in a PM (because I didn't want to drag this thread OT) most Tacoma 4-door buyers are using their trucks as a family car these days, and even after 30k miles those trucks are lightly used unless the owner was young and abusive. We forum members numbering in the thousands are a mere drop in the bucket compared to the entire buying market, and there should be plenty of chances for us to benefit from people selling their used trucks and SUVs when they don't turn out to be the vehicle they really need after a few years.

This is where you went wrong in your understanding. New Fj cruisers are not $36k, rather ~$30K link

And as much as I'd like to agree with you, a quick look on Toyota's website shows FJC MSRPs to hovering between $33k and $35k for the most part - http://www.gulfstates.buyatoyota.co... Cruiser/Records/20/Color/Quicksand/SortBy/0/
I know that's MSRP and not the final, negotiated price 'out-the-door', but historically the Toyota dealers I've seen around here have been pretty hard-nosed about cutting deals on FJCs or Tacomas. Tundra get all kinds of deals to compete with the Big Three, but not much else will that's 4WD on a Toyota lot.

Last edited:

Kaisen

Explorer
This is where you went wrong in your understanding. New Fj cruisers are not $36k, rather ~$30K link

MSRP of a new 2013 Fj Cruiser equipped like the used 2010 FJ Cruiser I linked from Autotrader would be in the range of $36K MSRP....note that it is a 4x4 automatic with Convenience and Upgrade packages.

The point remains the same. Used 2010s (even with "low" mileage ~30K) are not selling for "near new" prices. Even if they were $30K MSRP (which this one was not), then $23K used (which this one is) works out to 76% after three years and 30,000 miles.

haddix

Adventurer
See the exchanges above....

Where did I bash Toyota?!?!

I'm simply backing Switawi's statement that a three year old FJ Cruiser is indeed available for roughly 70% of their new MSRP, counter to JWP58's statement that all used Toyota's (FJ) sell for "near new" prices.

Which is quite provable, and not far off KBB's estimate for 36 month resale values on 2013's at 76% of new that's in the article you linked

I didn't bring Chevrolet into the exchange, and neither should you. They don't even make a FJ Cruiser competitor, so it's irrelevant to Switawi's postulate

Settle down

You bash Toyota with nearly every post you make. You seem to bring up Toyota's value in almost every post you make yet I bring up anything about Chevy and I shouldn't bring Chevy up? Why not? I can sale my 07 FJ with 130k on it for more than you can sale your 07 chevy anything with 130k miles on it for more $$$ and you are mad...???

Kaisen

Explorer
You bash Toyota with nearly every post you make. You seem to bring up Toyota's value in almost every post you make yet I bring up anything about Chevy and I shouldn't bring Chevy up? Why not?

This is my post, if you haven't noticed. Was there anything negative about Toyota in the original post?

I do think buying a used 2012 Tacoma with 19K miles for $21.9K when the new MSRP is $23.4K is absolute stupidity -- buy the new one!! http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/116173-School-me!!
But nowhere in that post did I bash Toyota or tell him to buy something else.

I own several vehicles. You only know of one, it's in my signature.

I can sale my 07 FJ with 130k on it for more than you can sale your 07 chevy anything with 130k miles on it for more $$$ and you are mad...???

Not mad bro. But your juvenile shot at me made me curious (and it's "sell" not "sale"), so I looked a couple up, and it turns out you're wrong:

FJ KBB.jpg

Burb KBB.jpg

K1500 KBB.jpg

Kaisen

Explorer
So we will stop drinking the Toyota Kool-Aid and realize how superior all GM product are of course:sombrero:

Maybe......Stop drinking the Kool-Aid and realize how Toyota is not always superior
It's just slightly different than your statement, but in a very important way
There are lots of good products out there. Sometimes Toyota is the best choice for the given metrics. Sometimes not.
I've owned lots of Toyotas. Some of them have been great.

tacollie

Glamper
KBB has no reflection of the actual market. I sold my used 00' 4runner for $3500 over KBB and it was well used. I just sold my girlfriend's Frontier for $2500 over KBB to a dealership, it was near perfect. I paid $1000 over KBB for my Tacoma which was cheaper and cleaner than most.

Back to the thread. My 07 Tacoma with a V6 and 6speed averages 20mpg at 75mph on the interstate and 17mpg in town but I have only put 10 tanks in since I bought it. That is based on stock gearing with 255/75r17 Hankook Dynapros ATMs so I am probably doing better than I think since I didn't calculate based on the larger tires. I wouldn't buy a new diesel unless it got high 20s. My 4.0 is fun to drive and it does good enough on gas. Used I would consider the diesel.

tacollie

Glamper
And for the record I think the Frontiers are better trucks but Tacomas are more fun to drive. I gave up the Kool-Aid!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maynerd Mowat