If Toyota made a DIESEL Tacoma for the US, would you?.....

Would you buy one?

• Yes, $35,500 for a new Taco DC Dsl 6 spd 4x4....I'M IN!

Votes: 91 78.4%
  • No, I wouldn't buy a new diesel Tacoma

Votes: 25 21.6%

• Total voters

Clutch

<---Pass
I agree completely, if you're buying a vehicle to make you happy. It's all emotional, irrational, illogical....do what makes you happy!

Yet, even here in this thread, people bash other brands because they don't hold their value as well or judge other brands because they are less expensive.
See the irony?

Are you buying it to do the job? Or are you buying it because you're emotionally attracted to it?

As long as you answer honestly, however you feel is correct.

Honestly, I could get by on a bicycle (if it really came down to it) and just rent a vehicle for when I need to haul something. Or Heck, just have it delivered.

How many of us really need a vehicle anyways? We buy them because we want to, and make up excuses why we need them. Like recreation via World travel....Need it to haul this or that, travel to here and there, then go down these roads of what is best, power, miles per gallon, reliability, what not and so forth... and most bang for the buck non-sense. I am guilty of it! But I am just bored at work trying to pass the time, until I get to drive my Tacoma again! :D

Most things in life now-a-days are by choice, from having a family, the houses we live in, to the vehicles we drive. Do we "need" all that stuff...most likely not.

Do we need cars that get 40 miles a gallon, 500 horse power, diesel, gas, paddle shifters, etc...? Question is, do we need the car at all?

Last edited:

Clutch

<---Pass
One more observation:

This would be true comparing apples and oranges, like a Tacoma to a Jeep Wrangler

But not why one 2004 Tacoma is 'worth' $22K when another similar 2004 Tacoma is being sold for $16K

Or why a used 2012 Tacoma with 19K miles is only $1,500 less than the full sticker price of a brand new 2014

These are more commodities, able to be replicated, than the art analogy

Stuff is worth what people are willing to pay, if someone pays $22K for an '04 Taco...then it is worth $22K.

There is that old saying: "If people are willing to pay, charge 'em!"

Last edited:
All more the reason to spend the money on a NEW Tacoma so you dont pay the used Toyota tax. Can we get back to the thread of a diesel Taco?

Clutch

<---Pass
Can we get back to the thread of a diesel Taco?

A diesel Tacoma will most likely never happen. And the rare chance if it did, the question is...is it worth it? That is the question Kaisen is really asking, correct?

If people are willing to pay for it, then it is.

Last edited:

Kaisen

Explorer
All more the reason to spend the money on a NEW Tacoma so you dont pay the used Toyota tax. Can we get back to the thread of a diesel Taco?

A diesel Tacoma will most likely never happen. And the rare chance if it did, the question is...is it worth it? That is the question Kaisen is really asking, correct?

If people are willing to pay for it, then it is.

Yes! My question was to gauge just how many people would be willing to pay for it.
It's interesting that three times as many Expoers here have said they ARE willing to pay for a Diesel option in a new Tacoma.
It may be rather unscientific, but it's telling, and I think it reflects what ExPoers may have guessed

I think if Toyota were to bring a diesel option to the Tacoma it would be a car-like 4 cylinder (AD), and not a truck-like 4 (KD), and certainly not a 6 cylinder. That's why I chose the 2AD-FHV (D-CAT non D4D) at 175hp and 295 lb-ft. It's still much more torque, at lower rpms, than the 4.0L V6. It's truly capable of powering a Taco DC 4x4 and still earning good fuel economy numbers. And it's a motor they already have.

If they earned an EPA rating better than 25 mpg highway (4wd Double Cab), I think it would be a hit. Since today's typical full size crew cab half ton V8 4x4 is in the $45K range, a $36K Taco DC Diesel 4x4 could make a whole lot of sense.

The Ranger and Colorado/Canyon are coming. And they will offer diesels. So it's more likely than not, I'd think.

Just getting your take. And it's been helpful.

Brandr

Hello Kaisen,

Thanks for starting a thread that is near and dear to my heart. I have to admit that I voted before reading the thru the thread and realizing this hypothetical Taco doesn't have the KD engine. I would still be interested enough in this combo to seriously consider it; I do have to read up on the AD as prior to today I only used those letters when writing history reports in school. :)

What can I say other than I definitely drank the Kool-Aid! :coffeedrink:

VR,
Brandr

Clutch

<---Pass
Yes! My question was to gauge just how many people would be willing to pay for it.
It's interesting that three times as many Expoers here have said they ARE willing to pay for a Diesel option in a new Tacoma.
It may be rather unscientific, but it's telling, and I think it reflects what ExPoers may have guessed

I think if Toyota were to bring a diesel option to the Tacoma it would be a car-like 4 cylinder (AD), and not a truck-like 4 (KD), and certainly not a 6 cylinder. That's why I chose the 2AD-FHV (D-CAT non D4D) at 175hp and 295 lb-ft. It's still much more torque, at lower rpms, than the 4.0L V6. It's truly capable of powering a Taco DC 4x4 and still earning good fuel economy numbers. And it's a motor they already have.

If they earned an EPA rating better than 25 mpg highway (4wd Double Cab), I think it would be a hit. Since today's typical full size crew cab half ton V8 4x4 is in the $45K range, a $36K Taco DC Diesel 4x4 could make a whole lot of sense.

That engine is a pretty good fit for the Tacoma, most of the use that the Tacoma will see is needed torque not ultimate horsepower. Take a TDI Jetta for an example, hp/tq numbers look wimpy on paper, but behind the wheel...it is a peppy fun little car.

I think you're right, at that price point and specs, the Tacoma would be a hot seller to the Toyota fanatics. Can I change my "No" vote to yes? I may of spoke too soon. :D

The Ranger and Colorado/Canyon are coming. And they will offer diesels. So it's more likely than not, I'd think.

Just getting your take. And it's been helpful.

Thought the Ranger was dead in the water?

footpetaljones

That engine is a pretty good fit for the Tacoma, most of the use that the Tacoma will see is needed torque not ultimate horsepower. Take a TDI Jetta for an example, hp/tq numbers look wimpy on paper, but behind the wheel...it is a peppy fun little car.

I think you're right, at that price point and specs, the Tacoma would be a hot seller to the Toyota fanatics. Can I change my "No" vote to yes? I may of spoke too soon. :D

Thought the Ranger was dead in the water?

They still have the World Ranger. I haven't heard anything about bringing it back to the US, but I wish they would.

codename607

Adventurer
Personally, I voted not to get the diesel and it came down to one simple thing. Gasoline is more readily available here in the states. However, if I where in any other part of the world I would get the diesel.

My major concern would be finding diesel gas during some kind of natural disaster. I could see myself now stranded beside the road and a gasoline powered truck continuing to drive on. But on the other hand I'm sure the U.S. would run out of regular gasoline before diesel...

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Unless gas prices go up astronomically I doubt we'll ever see a Ranger in the US again.

Why would Ford bring in the Ranger? They'd rather sell you a bigger and more expensive F150 - that's more profit in their pockets.

When you look at how much money Ford (and Chevy and Dodge) make from their full size truck sales, you understand why they don't care too much about small trucks. The money is in the big vehicles.

The cost to bring a World Ranger to US specs would be high, and Ford has no reason to believe they'd recoup that money.

If anything, Ford is more likely to put a smaller diesel into the F150 than they are to bring the world-platform Ranger to the US. But if I was to guess, I'd say we'll see a more advanced (read: more economical) gasoline engine before we'll see a small diesel from Ford in the US.

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
Personally, I voted not to get the diesel and it came down to one simple thing. Gasoline is more readily available here in the states. However, if I where in any other part of the world I would get the diesel.

My major concern would be finding diesel gas during some kind of natural disaster. I could see myself now stranded beside the road and a gasoline powered truck continuing to drive on. But on the other hand I'm sure the U.S. would run out of regular gasoline before diesel...

Diesel isn't that hard to find anymore. 99% of the stations I go to have a diesel pump.

Kaisen

Explorer
Unless gas prices go up astronomically I doubt we'll ever see a Ranger in the US again.

Why would Ford bring in the Ranger? They'd rather sell you a bigger and more expensive F150 - that's more profit in their pockets.

When you look at how much money Ford (and Chevy and Dodge) make from their full size truck sales, you understand why they don't care too much about small trucks. The money is in the big vehicles.

The cost to bring a World Ranger to US specs would be high, and Ford has no reason to believe they'd recoup that money.

If anything, Ford is more likely to put a smaller diesel into the F150 than they are to bring the world-platform Ranger to the US. But if I was to guess, I'd say we'll see a more advanced (read: more economical) gasoline engine before we'll see a small diesel from Ford in the US.

First, it wouldn't be the current World Ranger platform....for several reasons including size

Second, Ford (and others) have every motivation to care about small trucks: CAFE

There's only so much that can be done to improve the efficiency of punching a hole in the air the size of an F150. Look for smaller "trucks" to be, well, smaller and lighter and less capable in trade off for better efficiency, pricing, and dynamics. Not everyone needs what a half ton truck is capable of. But then they also may not need a body-on-frame live-axle "truck" like you're used to.

Sure, we'll see several advanced gasoline engines. Mostly because they will be shared with high volume passenger cars. But we will also see small (1.9-2.5L) 4 cylinder diesels that will also be shared with passenger cars.

All manufacturers need to spread their eggs over several baskets. Start/stop tech, mild hybrids, full hybrids, plug-in hybrids, diesel, ethanol, CNG, LP, hydrogen fuel cells, pure electric (EV), and other technologies. We simply don't know what market conditions will exist in the future or which technology will catch on (and for what reason).

I don't think Toyota will abandon their formula with Tacoma in the next generation. They've done quite well with the body-on-frame, tough, rugged, capable image. But they will see increased pressure from regulation and new competitors to be more efficient. Fuel efficiency isn't one of the Tacoma's strengths.

Clutch

<---Pass
First, it wouldn't be the current World Ranger platform....for several reasons including size

Second, Ford (and others) have every motivation to care about small trucks: CAFE

Guessing an UTE of some sorts then? Similar to the Falcon RTV in OZ, but a beefed up more manly look to it, perhaps based on the recent Explorer platform. so 'Muricans don't feel
inadequate when driving it then...(yea?) :)

ute.jpg

Last edited:

njtacoma

Explorer
Slightly off topic, but stick with me and I'll try to bring it back around...
Driving up I-25 3 weeks ago, I saw a disguised Chevrolet truck (all the standard new auto camouflage). I think it was the new Colorado, judging by size compared to other cars, general shape of the hood, and the fact the GM just released new 1500's. I was surprised how large it was.

The point (drawing it back) is I'm not sure if I would be interested in the new Colorado at all unless the it gets much better mileage then the 1500's. It seemed to me like it hit that strange size where, unless the mileage is a lot better I would just take the greater room of a "real" full size truck.

Just to let Kaisen know, it wouldn't be a current Tundra, I don't care for the styling, probably a Ford.

All this to really draw back to the topic, for me the mileage is important, without a mileage gain I'll take the cheaper fuel and less headache of a gas option from any of the major manufacturers based on purely emotional reasons...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maynerd Mowat