If Toyota made a DIESEL Tacoma for the US, would you?.....

Would you buy one?

• Yes, $35,500 for a new Taco DC Dsl 6 spd 4x4....I'M IN!

Votes: 91 78.4%
  • No, I wouldn't buy a new diesel Tacoma

Votes: 25 21.6%

• Total voters

STAGE 2

Adventurer
I have to agree with this. We need to face up to the reality that the things that make a "traditional" diesel engine attractive - (1) simple design, (2) ability to use cheap, less refined fuel, and (3) good fuel economy - simply don't apply to modern diesels.

You forgot (4) performance. The power curve and low end grunt of a Diesel engine lend themselves quite well to offroad applications. This is one area where modern diesels win the prize as modern injection systems and turbo charging have given these new engines some legs where the old ones would fall flat after the torque gave out.

All that said, I wouldn't buy a diesel tacoma. Not because of the engine, but because its a second rate light duty vehicle built to satisfy the bean counters. Start with a proper chassis, lose the tupperware bed, and then we'll talk.

pwr2lbs

Observer
Maybe......Stop drinking the Kool-Aid and realize how Toyota is not always superior
It's just slightly different than your statement, but in a very important way
There are lots of good products out there. Sometimes Toyota is the best choice for the given metrics. Sometimes not.
I've owned lots of Toyotas. Some of them have been great.

I found something for you, looks like you might have been lost. :Wow1:

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/forums/28-Domestic-Full-Size-and-Other

I would do it, but not if the engine was in the current truck. If they brought over the Hilux chassis with Diesel I would do it, I don't care for how much larger the new Taco is. Just my 2 cents.

Kaisen

Explorer
I found something for you, looks like you might have been lost. :Wow1:

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/forums/28-Domestic-Full-Size-and-Other

Is this just a Toyota circle jerk? If this is a forum for discussion and not just high fives for like-mindedness, then I think I'll come and go here as I please. I'm interested in Toyota, have owned many Toyotas, and will own Toyotas again. But to hear some of you go on as if you've never even considered other choices is certainly open to others pointing them out....

Clutch

<---Pass
Would you buy a NEW 2015 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab Diesel 6 spd TRD 4x4 (rated 20/25 mpg) for $35,500?

No, I would take that $35K and spend it traveling expenses for my existing vehicles... :p Content with what I already have. ;)

But for sake of buying a new vehicle argument, just super charge the 4.0 for the same money. Rather have power than a slight increase of mpg, which is a wash in the end given that diesel is more expensive fuel and costlier to maintain.

You can have BOTH torque and horsepower. ;) 304hp/334ft/lb

Side note: I find it very hard to believe the VW Amarok fetches 36 mpg, while TDI Jettas average around 38, and Touaregs are 25.

Last edited:

EMrider

Explorer
Is this just a Toyota circle jerk? If this is a forum for discussion and not just high fives for like-mindedness, then I think I'll come and go here as I please. I'm interested in Toyota, have owned many Toyotas, and will own Toyotas again. But to hear some of you go on as if you've never even considered other choices is certainly open to others pointing them out....

Many on this (and other) message boards don't realize that data is the plural of anecdote. An individual's experience is an anecdote. If there are data that send a different message than someone's anecdote, I'm going with the data every time.

R

Clutch

<---Pass

Oh you just like to stir the pot. And there is more to vehicle purchases than money and specs.

Sure I have considered other brands...but after test drive after test drive, they just don't do it for me. I always come back to Toyota....I just like them. Good enough for me.

Sure, Ford sells an awful lot of F150's...McDonald's also sells a crap ton of hamburgers too....think about it.

One thing is for certain...no matter the cost or specs. If it has tits or wheels it's gonna give ya trouble. ;)

Kaisen

Explorer
Sure, Ford sells an awful lot of F150's...McDonald's also sells a crap ton of hamburgers too....think about it.

In your analogy, Toyota is Burger King.....there is little difference. As you said, only preference.

So why try to tell others that Burger King tastes better, represents better value, and McD's sucks?

In your analogy, Toyota is Burger King.....there is little difference. As you said, only preference.

So why try to tell others that Burger King tastes better, represents better value, and McD's sucks?

How many of the Toyota guys go into the other forum sections and constantly do what you do in a lot of Toyota threads? For that matter you bash Toyota in a lot of threads outside of the Toyota forums.

Kaisen

Explorer
How many of the Toyota guys go into the other forum sections and constantly do what you do in a lot of Toyota threads? For that matter you bash Toyota in a lot of threads outside of the Toyota forums.

I don't mean to bash Toyota. And I don't think I do. Some Toyota products are great. Others suck. Just like GM and Ford and Ferrari and..... Can't paint an entire brand with a broad brush.

Clutch

<---Pass

There you're wrong, GM is Burger King, Dodge is Whataburger... :ylsmoke:

Perhaps Toyota is In-N-Out? :D Nice, clean & simple menu, no BS, wholesome...

I don't mean to bash Toyota. And I don't think I do. Some Toyota products are great. Others suck. Just like GM and Ford and Ferrari and..... Can't paint an entire brand with a broad brush.

Well you tend to go on and on bashing Toyota. So from the outside looking in...seems like you despise the brand.

Sure, I'll agree with ya...there is a lot in the Toyota brand I do not like...not too hip on their cars, doesn't mean they're bad... I just don't like cars
in general. If I had to own a car...it would be a Subaru, Honda, VW, Audi, BMW....Lexus. (yeah I know Lexus is Toyota...)...the IS F is waaay hotter than a Camry. Not cheap either. Buy a couple Tacomas at that price...can't even haul gravel in it. So price/usefulness/whatevar is relative...

I might buy the Hilux but not the Tacoma.

I would buy the Tacoma over the HiLux, just to make Kaisen go crazy.

Or even better, move to OZ, then import a Tacoma.

Last edited:

Kaisen

Explorer
Well you tend to go on and on bashing Toyota. So from the outside looking in...seems like you despise the brand...

Again, maybe you need to point out what you think is bashing.

For me, there are plenty of great Toyotas that are simply overpriced in the used car marketplace. And the Toyota faithful justify it.
You'll see me point that out a lot. Maybe you confuse that with bashing the brand.
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/116361-Ran-across-this-today-on-CL
$22K for a used 2004 Tacoma? Yep, that's moronic, given the price of comparable alternatives. And 100% not Toyota's fault. Nor am I stating that Toyota is bad or that a Tacoma Double Cab is bad. Get it? Not bashing. Just pointing out that it's my opinion that if you (the collective 'you') self-justify $22K for a 9 year old 100K mile Taco with some used mods, you're blind to those legitimate alternatives. Even if a Taco is better than a Frontier (which some will debate) is it $7000 better? Again, that's not bashing Toyota. If anything, spend $22K on a newer Taco with less miles. Again, not Toyota bashing.

Clutch

<---Pass
Again, maybe you need to point out what you think is bashing.

For me, there are plenty of great Toyotas that are simply overpriced in the used car marketplace. And the Toyota faithful justify it.
You'll see me point that out a lot. Maybe you confuse that with bashing the brand.
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/116361-Ran-across-this-today-on-CL
$22K for a used 2004 Tacoma? Yep, that's moronic, given tjohe price of comparable alternatives. And 100% not Toyota's fault. Nor am I stating that Toyota is bad or that a Tacoma Double Cab is bad. Get it? Not bashing. Just pointing out that it's my opinion that if you (the collective 'you') self-justify $22K for a 9 year old 100K mile Taco with some used mods, you're blind to those legitimate

alternatives. Even if a Taco is better than a Frontier (which some will debate) is it $7000 better? Again, that's not bashing Toyota. If anything, spend $22K on a newer Taco with less miles. Again, not Toyota bashing.

Yeah so?

People can spend their however they want to. Have you priced VW Westy Vanagons lately? Go jump on GoWesty.

And really....money doesn't even exist, why get worked up over it? Hell, even paper money is disappearing....just numbers on a computer screen anymore. All based on faith...an emotion.

It is ok to buy vehicles based on emotions...even though the numbers don't make sense to some. One would guess emotion drives the price up for Toyotas.

Take art for example...why is one painting worth millions of dollars, but some kid's finger painting is worthless...yet priceless to their parents.

Last edited:

Kaisen

Explorer
Yeah so?

People can spend their however they want to. Have you priced VW Westy Vanagons lately? Go jump on GoWesty.

And really....money doesn't even exist, why get worked up over it? Hell, even paper money is disappearing....just numbers on a computer screen anymore. All based on faith...an emotion.

It is ok to buy vehicles based on emotions...even though the numbers don't make sense to some.

Take art for example...why is one painting worth millions of dollars, but some kid's finger painting is worthless...yet priceless to their parents.

I agree completely, if you're buying a vehicle to make you happy. It's all emotional, irrational, illogical....do what makes you happy!

Yet, even here in this thread, people bash other brands because they don't hold their value as well or judge other brands because they are less expensive.
See the irony?

Are you buying it to do the job? Or are you buying it because you're emotionally attracted to it?

As long as you answer honestly, however you feel is correct.

Kaisen

Explorer

One more observation:

This would be true comparing apples and oranges, like a Tacoma to a Jeep Wrangler

But not why one 2004 Tacoma is 'worth' $22K when another similar 2004 Tacoma is being sold for $16K

Or why a used 2012 Tacoma with 19K miles is only $1,500 less than the full sticker price of a brand new 2014

These are more commodities, able to be replicated, than the art analogy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maynerd Mowat