If Toyota made a DIESEL Tacoma for the US, would you?.....

Would you buy one?

• Yes, $35,500 for a new Taco DC Dsl 6 spd 4x4....I'M IN!

Votes: 91 78.4%
  • No, I wouldn't buy a new diesel Tacoma

Votes: 25 21.6%

• Total voters

voodoojk

Adventurer
Diesel isn't that hard to find anymore. 99% of the stations I go to have a diesel pump.

i agree.. On the east coast its harder to find. I remember living in PA you had to search for diesel at a station and drive carefully so you were near one when you were getting low ( commercial trucks..think isuzu box rucks) but here in colorado..almost every gas staion has diesel.

grampswrx

Observer
I would be interested in buying a diesel if the mileage was significantly better than gas. (Note: I will be buying a brand new taco in 2015). I would need to see 27-30 mpg out of a DCLB automatic before I would be willing to pay $3500 more for it. My main interest would be long range and durability. If I could get 400+ miles per tank, I would love it.

If diesel is only 5-6% more expensive than gas (here in SoCal) and the diesel is 26% more efficient than gas it would still take a while to recoup the cost. But at 50% more efficient, I'm a buyer.

However, I think that the 2015 gas engine will offer at least 22 mpg highway (either with a 6 speed auto or some fancy cylinder deactivation stuff or the like) so that would seriously eat in to the benefit of a diesel. Mercedes offers its diesels at LOWER prices than the gas engines. Now there's an idea...

GTABurnout

Explorer
The real question is if Toyota brings over a diesel Tacoma will people stop making post about wanting a deisel Tacoma? I hope so.

JCMatthews

Tour Guide
I would not. I don't have that kind of money to throw at a truck. My '05 Tundra does pretty well. If I was going to do something different, I'd be looking at the Eco boost from Ford. One of the reasons the Ranger went away was that it's fuel economy was not better than the full sized trucks. My '02 expedition got 17-18 on the highway. Also, when most people buy a truck they need it to haul their family too. The Ranger did not do this very well.

A friend of mine traded in his diesel Ford for an Eco boost, and he says it's the best vehicle change he has ever made. Better fuel economy and cheaper fuel. He actually drives his truck now. He uses his truck to tow regularly, and says it is great, and he does not miss his diesel.

Kaisen

Explorer
With 100 respondents to the poll, we're at 77 Yes, and 23 No.

I'd say that is a fairly clear statement

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maynerd Mowat