Igor's 2002 Montero gen 3 build

MascotRejct

Adventurer
No, I left the fuel pump fuse in, but I had spark plugs out by that point. You can also disconnect the plug for fuel injectors, that way no fuel will be sprayed in, or you can just unplug spark plug leads. I only used the starter to break the bolt loose, maybe half a turn at most. If you have another person to keep an eye on socket and breaker bar while you operate the key it would be much safer in my opinion.

Awesome! Thanks for the info!

mitsuman

Your rig is looking awesome. It gets me excited about plans I have for my '02. In these pics are you running any wheel spacers?

mitsuman

Don't need wheel spacers or lift for 265/75R/16 on stock wheels

I know you can stuff some big tires with no lift or spacers, but I like the stance his rig has. I have plans for an OME lift and bigger tires as well. I'm thinking of maybe a 255/85/16 I'm not a fan of using wheel spacers, but stock the wheels set in a ways from the fenders and I'm just curious to see if he used them to get his stance, or if it's the stock spacing.

plh

Explorer
I know you can stuff some big tires with no lift or spacers, but I like the stance his rig has. I have plans for an OME lift and bigger tires as well. I'm thinking of maybe a 255/85/16 I'm not a fan of using wheel spacers, but stock the wheels set in a ways from the fenders and I'm just curious to see if he used them to get his stance, or if it's the stock spacing.

Agreed - looks good. I don't think there are wheel spacers on it. Looks like my '05. 255/85R/16 are an inch + taller than what he is running. Had this size on my '88 for a while - sorta wish I would have kept them. Should also look good on a Gen 3.

nckwltn

Explorer
for the crank bolt, you can make one of these for less than 10 bucks. you need a hack saw and drill with the right sized bit (and a file to clean up the rough edges)

You may need to flip the bolts that stick out to the other side.... on one side you get much more torque for tightening and the other side for loosening without causing the bar the buckle. you could weld a pice on the main bar at 90 degrees, or use L channel bar vs flat

MascotRejct

Adventurer
for the crank bolt, you can make one of these for less than 10 bucks. you need a hack saw and drill with the right sized bit (and a file to clean up the rough edges)

You may need to flip the bolts that stick out to the other side.... on one side you get much more torque for tightening and the other side for loosening without causing the bar the buckle. you could weld a pice on the main bar at 90 degrees, or use L channel bar vs flat

+1 for this tool. Made one the other day for my tear down and rebuild. Worked like a dream for both the crank pulley and the camshaft sprockets. I ended up buying a couple of different length bolts for the ends of the arms just in case i need it to be longer.

Igorskiy86

Observer
Your rig is looking awesome. It gets me excited about plans I have for my '02. In these pics are you running any wheel spacers?

In all of the pictures out on a trail with new tires there is no wheel spacers. I will be adding them in a future, but need to clean up some of the rust from my rotor surface.

Igorskiy86

Observer
No changes to the car recently, just a few general maintenance items. I have been busy with work and other projects, but hopefully soon few additions will happen. Went to Big Bear recently and decided to see how it goes on the snow, learned a few lessons and realized that I definitely need some recovery equipment if I try to go there again, but it was fun.

IMG_1111.jpg

IMG_1115.jpg

IMG_1125.jpg

Igorskiy86

Observer
I finally decided on what will be used for the rock sliders on my car. I went with a rock slider kit from ebay since that will allow me to get a perfect fit and look on my car instead of buying something that is not designed too well or is intended for another car and will have to be modified. The price on this kit was really good, 240 shipped to my door, and it seems like I have all the steel to get started, just need to get some bolts since I am planning on using factory mounting locations. I got all the pieces made for a 73 inch length, which is the length of the sheet metal between my wheels, this way I can cut it down if needed to have a perfectly fitting slider. Looking forward to getting some time to put it together.

20150319_102007.jpg

20150319_102043.jpg

A most resent pic of my truck when I went to King Of Hammers a while back!

20150205_153510.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater