IM BACK!!! again....

toyrunner95

Explorer
I got bored and went to Mt. Ranier today. It was cloudy and there were too many trees in the way. You could only see a small part of the mountain.
IMG_20150209_113726_542.jpg

Last edited:

toyrunner95

Explorer
Ok guys, this weekend I'm hopefully going to build the platform for my bed drawers so I'll have an update on that shortly. Today I ordered a tech deck from bird dawg industries. I ordered the off road version but initially I may just install it regularly until I decide on a gps.

That leads into my next question. I want to get a chart plotter and have been looking at the Garmin echo map 50 series. I like the 50s but I can't find any info on the map packs. The 50dv has the NW map pack that I want but I like the 50s better. Does anyone have any information on a good gps chart plotter be it Garmin or Lawrence or other? For what I have planned I really do need the chart plotter feature. So handhelds are out. Plus I like the bigger screen options.

toyrunner95

Explorer
So I built the deck around my bed drawrs and I was not impressed with my handy work. It really looks like garbage. I tried to do it fast with stuff I had and not the right tools so it equated to junk. It will work for the next couple weeks but I'm going to redo it.

The other thing I did was install the tech deck. Man that thing takes 3 hands to install. Plus it was dark. But I got it in there and it's stout. I also tried my hand at manipulating kydex. And I have to say that for a first try I'm slightly impressed with the results. I will try again when I get more materieal. Its so easy to work with.
20150218_164115.jpg20150218_164202.jpg

Yulli

Yulli the Yeti
What shop did you do your suspension at? I'm in Everett, I see you're down south from me. I'm in the process of getting a Tacoma.

toyrunner95

Explorer
I used auburn car repair. The owner is john mathews. Great guys to deal with. It took about a day. I dropped it off when they opened and i had it back before they closed. It turned out really well. I got the toytech ultimate kit. Part Number ULTAC-2005-TT-55289. It rubs the UCAs at full lock but i also got big lugs on my duratracks. If you went with a AT it probably wouldn't be so bad.

I got the Lift and Tires all installed aligned and adjusted. you can pm me for what i paid and i can talk to him for you if you like.

They also can install an ARB but it costs more than just doing it yourself. if you need help i can lend you a hand.

Yulli

Yulli the Yeti
I used auburn car repair. The owner is john mathews. Great guys to deal with. It took about a day. I dropped it off when they opened and i had it back before they closed. It turned out really well. I got the toytech ultimate kit. Part Number ULTAC-2005-TT-55289. It rubs the UCAs at full lock but i also got big lugs on my duratracks. If you went with a AT it probably wouldn't be so bad.

I got the Lift and Tires all installed aligned and adjusted. you can pm me for what i paid and i can talk to him for you if you like.

They also can install an ARB but it costs more than just doing it yourself. if you need help i can lend you a hand.

I'm familiar with those guys. Never used them before but know who he is. I may have to check him out. I'll PM you if I have any questions in the future.

toyrunner95

Explorer
I think this weekend I am going to build a custom/ home brew roof rack that will accommodate a tent as well as some extra space for storage and lights. I am going to the 4x4 swap meet in the morning to see what i can score for junk. Then Monday it will be off to the steel store to get supplies and fill up my argon tank. i have a design setup i just need to get the exact measurements. if i take my time and think it though it should come out looking pretty sweet. ill get pics up when i can.

toyrunner95

Explorer
Today started with a vast amount of disappointment but ended in success.

First I tried to get the rails installed on the top of my canopy only to be told they weren't in stock and Friday was the earliest they could do it. Ok no big deal, I have other things to do. So I moved on to project B.

Sunday was the moonshiners swapmeet in puyallup and I scored a 30" LED flood light bar. Since I had a 20" already up front on the ARB as a spot I figured I would just re arrange them. Well to my discovery it was missing a deutsch connector. For the of you who are unfamiliar with this product, it is the plug under your hood that has that stupid little tab in it that never comes apart. You usually have to jam a screw driver in there to get it apart. Anyway I looked high and low for this stupid thing and the only place that I could find one was at CNH and they were nice enough to let me pick one up. So I got home and started assembling the pieces and parts. About 3 hours later I had the old bar off, the new one on, and the old one remounted.

Other things accomplished... mowed lawn, pruned trees, laundry. Not to shabby for half a day spent driving.20150309_164012.jpg
20150309_164037.jpg
20150309_182115.jpg

toyrunner95

Explorer
I got the roof tracks installed today. Hopefully I will get my roof bars made this weekend. Something simple to get my rtt home from oregon. When I get back I will build my roof rack. now with this I plan on having it over the cab A fair bit. How much does the bed flex on these tacos? I don't want It to twist and mark up the cab. Or at least be able to make it tall enough to miss as it twists.

Secondly I had a bit of a epiphany today while waiting. When I was building my platform and failed I really irritated me how crappy wood worked out. I think I'm going to build a light weight framework out of 1" square tube. It's easy for me to worth with, light weight and cheap. Also 1" angle would work well too. So I'm going to take the time to build what I want correctly and make it the way I want.

toyrunner95

Explorer
The last two days were pretty productive. I fabricated my roof bars and mounts. Then on st. Patrick's day I took a road trip from bonney lake to bend oregon and back. 600+ miles and 12 hours, but a fairly easy drive. Anyway I scored this! and I am one step closer to being ready to go! Now I spend a couple weeks prepping and planning then the first test run. Also waiting on weather it's a bit temperamental at the moment. But I had to do the obligatory driveway camp setup to see how it will work.
IMG_20150318_111557_532.jpg

doubleroses

Adventurer
I really like your set up. You seem to make logical and well though out decisions when it comes to modifying your rig. I see a lot of people modifying their vehicles to do overlanding without being logical. Why spend crazy amounts of money right now? Spend time and build it for what you are going to use it for. I have a stock 2013 Tacoma and it does great off road. Yes, I do plan on lifting it but as of right now, paying it off is the more intelligent decision. I've seen extremely modified JKU's take on Black Bear Pass in Ouray, CO but I did it in a Tacoma with a set of craigslist Duratracs and had no issues. Black Bear Pass did claim a mud flap though...RIP Mud Flap.

Anywho, I like reading your posts. I'm currently in the Army and have 2 years remaining on my contract. I'd like to make Overlanding a more frequent activity in my life. My other "rig" is a 2000 Land Cruiser that I got while on R&R a little over a month ago. Right now my wife is using that. I did get a complete ARB drawer system with a side trim kit for $1000 from someone on craigslist. Too sweet of a deal to pass up. Eventually I'll upgrade the lift with an OME 2.5" lift. It's a lengthy process but I'll get there some day!

Keep up the awesome mods!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater