I'M BATVAN! ...a 2006 E350 V10 DIY Ujoint Conversion

shenrie

^^^ hates cars
ya i get a lot of honks, flashing lights, and flipped off a bunch when people see the eb coming at them sideways. it is tons (literally) of fun.

i have some black lug nuts that came off my van that wouldnt work with the sterling conversion. you know what pitch your van is? gimmie a ring.

and i was actually in front of orielys when i saw you. it would have been a bad idea to take cars out today. high hp on solid glare ice? they'd never get them back in the bay, lol. no clue if thats his car, i didnt notice it. id remember it though. he handed me my *** once in it. feelers hurt...

shenrie

^^^ hates cars
^^^ I wouldn't say euro per say, he's just a vehicle enthusiast period. Car is irrelevant with brian. He'll whoop ya in your own car ;)

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Thanks Chris, besides being the only yellow, I think its the only chrome that was left. Wish my black lug nuts looked as good. I saw that you just picked some up for V8, which ones do you use/recommend? Mine seem to be corroded/rusted within the first 6 months.

Trying the Gorilla lugs. The splined lugs that I've used in the past were garbage. Hope these Gorillas hold up better!

shenrie

^^^ hates cars
The gorillas are great. had them on our racecar for years and years. wheels off every other weekend during the summer months and never discolored. the edges where the tool seats slightly discolored from over use and abuse from all the wheel swapping, but that area isn't visible with most wheels anyway.

Pinnacle Campers

Chateau spotter
Another Euro car guy. <thumbs> :smiley_drive:
Just a general car enthusiast, mostly imports, the only euro being a handful of VW's air and water cooled.
Definitely a autocross enthusiast, Vic and his wife are multi time national champs in their M3. Tuner, driver.
Looks like his car is still for sale, http://www.siastuning.com/Yellow4sale.htm

^^^ I wouldn't say euro per say, he's just a vehicle enthusiast period. Car is irrelevant with brian. He'll whoop ya in your own car ;)
Thanks, we have had the opportunity to drive a lot of different cars in the local autox scene, putting on driving schools, etc. I would say with a better overall experience then owning them all. ;) It's easy to nix cars off the list for instance I thought I wanted a Mini Cooper S till I drove one at an autox.

Trying the Gorilla lugs. The splined lugs that I've used in the past were garbage. Hope these Gorillas hold up better!
Thanks Chris, these were/are Shea's recommendation as well. Mine are ProComp and they look horrible.

Pinnacle Campers

Chateau spotter
I'm pretty sure ProComp would tell me to take a hike if I inquired about their condition having 2 years and 25k miles. So I will just highlight it as a learning experience for all.
They started looking bad at 6 months. Only one key, Shenrie says two keys with the Gorillas. They were $50.
2ni3dpg.jpg

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...

I'm using black gorilla keyed lugs as well. So far so good, but they also haven't been on all that long. I have removed and reinstalled them more times than I care to admit though.

Last edited:

Pinnacle Campers

Chateau spotter
Spotted this unimog with Phoenix camper at our local fairgrounds. Not very often we get to see these super expo rigs in town. The cabin door is on the driver side, maybe with the intent on living in the UK?
Not much going on at the fairgrounds except a flea market, maybe they were selling sunglasses?
It makes BATVAN look like a smart car.

wkmko9.jpg

scbe4z.jpg

Last edited:

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
What's the advantage over OEM lug bolts?

Well the lugs on the rear wheel adapters and front axle are different thread pattern than stock, so I needed new lug nuts anyway. I just wanted black lugs and that's what they had at discount.

I suppose there is an advantage that the "key" is smaller diameter than whatever sized socket probably is, so you're not as likely to scratch up the wheels.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Well the lugs on the rear wheel adapters and front axle are different thread pattern than stock, so I needed new lug nuts anyway. I just wanted black lugs and that's what they had at discount.

I suppose there is an advantage that the "key" is smaller diameter than whatever sized socket probably is, so you're not as likely to scratch up the wheels.

Copy that, good point.

Pinnacle Campers

Chateau spotter
I have had an opportunity to put some miles on a Ford Transit myself. Been crawling all over this thing checking it out.
Pretty impressed with the NA 3.7L, of course it's an empty van....
Everything feels so precise, steering, brakes....it's really easy to drive around town.
It looks and feels like the Honda Civic of full size vans.

Then reality strikes, it's got no 4wd, little ground clearance, and generally feels a little weak. Really looking forward to see the mods that go into this thing over the coming years.

Of course the first time I don't drive BATVAN to Home Depot in 2 years there is a sweet quigley chateau I could have parked next to.
im3qme.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad