I'm scared; transistion from 06' taco to 100 series, counsel me.

wingysataday

Adventurer
I'm now considering the sequoia as well. The sequoia's seem to be much less expensive than the 100/LX470. There are 2, 2005 sequoia's in my area with around 150k miles for $10k. I'm kinda liking the roominess and more power and it seems like the MPG's are around 18 compared to the 100's 14mpg. What are you guys getting in your 100's?

I have normally gotten 15.5-16 with 80% around town driving. Simply put, I think that is the absolute best you can get short of doing 50 on a country road for a full tank. No ac, incredibly easy on the gas. There's several threads on mud about the difference between the 2uz in the sequoia and the 2uz in the 100 series. Basically the 100 series is much more overbuilt as far sat he parts go, and honestly the whole land cruiser is going to be better built. The sequoia is also tuned to be faster off the line, the way most Americans like to drive, and there really is nothing in the aftermarket for them. Unless you want to try to adapt stuff for first gen tundras, which we used to have, and there is almost nothing for them. I would say go with the land cruiser. Hold out for a well priced one, I used to drive a first gen tundra(same as sequoia just with a pickup body) and the quality and feel of the land cruiser is much better. That being said, several times with the tundra I was able to do 23+ mpg on the freeway. Land cruiser is heavier, and that's because it has a stronger frame and axles.

Edit: I believe the post 2000 cruisers(atrac was introduced then) have a more aggressive atrac compared to the sequoia. Also, I've seen several 100 series with over 400,000 miles, and I think it is probably the most reliable engine toyota has made(22re might win when you factor ease of repair).

Last edited:

enzo

Explorer
I'm now considering the sequoia as well. The sequoia's seem to be much less expensive than the 100/LX470. There are 2, 2005 sequoia's in my area with around 150k miles for $10k. I'm kinda liking the roominess and more power and it seems like the MPG's are around 18 compared to the 100's 14mpg. What are you guys getting in your 100's?

The Sequioa won't hold up like a LC will. The LC has forged internals where as the Sequioa has cast internals. While I do like the look of the Sequioa, they just aren't made to last.

mph

Expedition Leader
Ahhh...I was in your shoes once and a friend convinced me to go with a 100 series. Best vehicle I have ever driven...They are tanks. Will things go wrong? Sure, but for reliability and ease at which you can cruise down the road; the 100 series is pretty sweet! I have done general maintance on mine the past 45, 000 and it runs strong. Just turned 175. I will eventually go with a 200 series but...the 100 is great! Good luck with your purchase.

sgiandubh

Observer
Having made this exact transition, 2005 Tacoma to 1999 100 series, the 100 is a better vehicle on all counts and I have absolutely no regrets. Provided you don't need a bed, two main caveats exist, fuel economy and suspension options. However, I'm only 3 mpg off the taco empty (14 average vs. 17 average) and towing is about the same (2-3k lbs and got ~12 in both). I do wish the 100 had coil over, the washboard on hole in the rock road taxed the stock suspension and there aren't a ton of options for T-bars in the aftermarket. I do imagine that a good set of bypass shocks would help immensely. Aside from those two considerations, the 100 is smoother, more comfortable, and can truly fit our stuff for camping trips. For the off-roading that I do I would put the Tacoma and LC neck and neck. Maybe a sight edge to the LC due to the auto trans. I have put 20k miles on mine in the past two years and had not a hiccup. Never been in a GX so can't comment there, but I would not hesitate to buy a 100 again. I also find the tailgate to be extremely useful and would avoid the GX for that reason alone.

wingysataday

Adventurer
In my Tacoma there are storage bins under the rear seats and storage behind the rear seats. I packed those storage areas with all kinds of gear. Is there any storage under the seats or compartments anywhere on the 100's or sequoias? Do either have a place that a factory subwoofer goes? I know people remove the 3rd row but I need it.
GX470 is out I think, it's to small and they seem to be much more expensive.

Last edited:

Elk

Observer
Internal storage on the 100 is limited. The Taco has way more cup holders (13 including the doors) and better underseat storage. There are two small compartments on the passenger side of the 100, a cubby for the jack on the driver's side, and the center console. My day to day carry is a toolbox behind the third row and a milk crate for my soft goods. I don't miss the underseat storage in the Taco as I had two child seats latched in most of the time. As a result, my access to those spaces was for emergencies only.

JohnnyS

Explorer
As was posted earlier the LC is Toyota's flagship vehicle, a Sequoia can't compare...a great vehicle in it's own right but not in the same class.
If you can swing it really try to get one with the 5 speed, it's a night and day difference. More expensive off the bat but it's a vehicle you'll hopefully be keeping for a really long time and it will pay for itself eventually.
When we picked up our '04 I was blown away how different it was then 100s we'd had previously ('99, '00 & '01), it's legs are much longer on the highway.
My wife couldn't believe it was the same motor (essentially) as the transmission really makes it feel more powerful/smoother.

Last edited:
You can get drawers behind the second row, but there's really no room to make a drawer system behind the 3rd row. Hardly any room at all actually when they are in the down location. Outback solutions makes some good drawers for behind the second row but you won't be able to use the third row when you have drawers in

JohnnyS

Explorer
Here are the ARB/Outback Solutions drawers that replace the third row seats, albeit in an 80...same drawers, different fit kit.

Attachments

• ARB Drawer 001.jpg
    ARB Drawer 001.jpg
    543.3 KB · Views: 49

native_nate

I just sold my 2003 Tacoma and have been driving a '99 LX since August. The only thing that I miss about the truck is being able to put a muddy dog or pile of fire wood in the back and not worry about the mess. Other than that, I love it on all counts. I was lucky and scored my '99 with only 103k.

justbecause

perpetually lost
Do the first 100s have proper seat belts for all 3 seats in the middle row, or is the middle seat a lap belt only?

by 2006 your taco should have 3 full seat belts for the backseat, correct? If a 100 only has 2, + the 3rd row jump seats, you are only gaining 1 additional spot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven