Imperial Outdoors Xplore XR22

Treefarmer

-40 is a bit of an exaggeration, but the Xplore's don't have pipes "in" the walls. The shore water and the exterior shower pipes pass through the walls, but don't travel along inside the walls. The shower pipes travel along under the shower pan, above the floor, and then up between the shower surround and nose of the trailer. The exterior shower fixture is vulnerable, but exposed to room heat on the back side. The water heater seems to be the first thing to freeze, and the fresh water at the bottom of the tank freezes at the drain.
So the shower plumbing does run up the exterior wall that is the nose of the trailer? Or does it run up a cavity in the nose that has heat dusted into it? That plumbing is technically in an exterior wall even if it is the nose. I don't know, but based on the ample insulation in the rest of the trailer, IO may stuff that nose with a huge amount of insulation to offset the exposure. If I owned an X22, It would be interesting to open up the wall where the shower plumbing runs and get some temperature readings in the nose where that plumbing runs to see how it does in single digit temperatures.

Obsessed2findARuggedHybid

Do you mean Go Power electronics? What is is wrong with Go Power?

Yes I ment Go Power. I assume the inverter that has been bad that folks have had to replace and up grade to Victron is a Go Power? When you spent thousands of dollars re doing your entire electrical system ment you replaced your Go Power components with Victron?

Treefarmer

Yes I ment Go Power. I assume the inverter that has been bad that folks have had to replace and up grade to Victron is a Go Power? When you spent thousands of dollars re doing your entire electrical system ment you replaced your Go Power components with Victron?
I have talked to dozens of solar system installers over the year and have never had any of them recommend a Go Power product. I know that's anecdotal, as are the bad reviews I've read online about Go Power over the years, but why take a chance when making such a big investment? It's really easy to take the advice of experts and choose other brands other than Go Power. I have personally used components from Victron, Magnum, and Blue Sky for eleven years on a 365 day/year basis and haven't had any problems. Go Power wouldn't make my list for any solar installation.

Raspy

I have talked to dozens of solar system installers over the year and have never had any of them recommend a Go Power product. I know that's anecdotal, as are the bad reviews I've read online about Go Power over the years, but why take a chance when making such a big investment? It's really easy to take the advice of experts and choose other brands other than Go Power. I have personally used components from Victron, Magnum, and Blue Sky for eleven years on a 365 day/year basis and haven't had any problems. Go Power wouldn't make my list for any solar installation.
I don't know anyone who has had a problem with the Go Power stuff in an X22, but I'm sure there must be some. I love mine. Victron, by the way is not perfect and many of their dc-dc chargers were recalled for a redesign because of overheating. My buddy had a Victron inverter burn out and the warrantee was pretty much useless. So, be careful when you say Go Power is bad and Victron is perfect. If you have actual data, let's see it. I've been pushing my GoPower solar MPPT charger to its limit for over a year without incident. The inverter has been perfect running my AC, microwave and coffee makers for the same amount of time.

Raspy

I didn't spend "thousands of dollars redoing" my electrical system. I upgraded to a larger array of much better panels, added a Victron dc-dc charger with Anderson plug and wiring, and did some additional stuff inside. The original collectors were installed wrong and were low performace flexible panels. Before I added the Victron, I made sure it was the latest revision and not an earlier model that was known for overheating. I chose Victron because it is a well known brand, is a voltage sensing unit and seems like good quality, but Victron is also known for spreading scare stories about burning out alternators. Attempting to scare people with false information and having defective designs, puts two checks in the wrong column as far as I'm concerned. It's easy to be idealistic, but I try to live in the real world, do what works and share actual experiences. I've seen no reason to upgrade from Go Power. I use my trailer all year and it is almost completely off-grid. I also use a lot of power, so the systems get tested with heavy use.

Treefarmer

I didn't spend "thousands of dollars redoing" my electrical system. I upgraded to a larger array of much better panels, added a Victron dc-dc charger with Anderson plug and wiring, and did some additional stuff inside. The original collectors were installed wrong and were low performace flexible panels. Before I added the Victron, I made sure it was the latest revision and not an earlier model that was known for overheating. I chose Victron because it is a well known brand, is a voltage sensing unit and seems like good quality, but Victron is also known for spreading scare stories about burning out alternators. Attempting to scare people with false information and having defective designs, puts two checks in the wrong column as far as I'm concerned. It's easy to be idealistic, but I try to live in the real world, do what works and share actual experiences. I've seen no reason to upgrade from Go Power. I use my trailer all year and it is almost completely off-grid. I also use a lot of power, so the systems get tested with heavy use.
You have about as much anecdotal data on Victron and Go Power as I have. I'm not saying Go Power won't work. I probably wouldn't upgrade from Go Power if it came from the factory and was still working. I am saying that if you're investing thousands of dollars in a new solar system, you should pay attention to as many of the reviews online and comments from people who do installations for a living as you can before you spend your money. You don't have an exclusive contract on living in the real world. A lot of people here have just as much or more experience with solar "in the real world" as you and I.

rehammer81

I suspect more than anything it comes down to proper installation of quality components. Proper wiring for the current and run length and appropriate fusing.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Obsessed2findARuggedHybid

Lots of issues with Xplores going on with folks out using thier Xplores during the current bomb cyclone weather. I do understand that most folks with other trailers that are not rated to -40 are not being used in these conditions. Lots of mods being suggested to handle the issues. One dealer basically said these trailers are good to -40 below if you modify them. Funny how that last part is not in IO marketing.

The new x-195 is listed as 4 season capability to -40 . Nothing about having to pay more money for a mod to add more ducting, fans and heating blankets. Do the new trailers have any plumbing in external walls? Do the new composite walls have as much R factor as the old x-22 walls?

Treefarmer

I suspect more than anything it comes down to proper installation of quality components. Proper wiring for the current and run length and appropriate fusing.

Bad wiring seems to be at the root of underperforming systems much of the time. When talking about "quality" components, I like to think in terms of what people are generally upgrading from and to. The brands people are are upgrading from are the lower quality items to be avoided.

Raspy

Lots of issues with Xplores going on with folks out using thier Xplores during the current bomb cyclone weather. I do understand that most folks with other trailers that are not rated to -40 are not being used in these conditions. Lots of mods being suggested to handle the issues. One dealer basically said these trailers are good to -40 below if you modify them. Funny how that last part is not in IO marketing.

The new x-195 is listed as 4 season capability to -40 . Nothing about having to pay more money for a mod to add more ducting, fans and heating blankets. Do the new trailers have any plumbing in external walls? Do the new composite walls have as much R factor as the old x-22 walls?
I'm finding that a lot of people have no idea how their system works or how lithiums must be treated. Since the X22 is wired with only one battery bank, I get comments about the second battery not working. When the batteries get cold and won't charge, a lot of folks point out the system doesn't work even with the generator running for hours and hours, or overnight, not realizing it will either work immediately, or never. Some want to trickle charge the lithiums, and some think if the trailer interior has just arrived at 40 degrees, the battery internals must be there too. Some want to use an electric heater to protect the X22 systems, when the trailer requires us to run the furnace for protection. It's funny how many people won't read comments and learn from them, or do their own research. Imperial made a mistake by advertising -40 degrees capability. That is ridiculous without serious mods and special methods. The batteries are not heated in the X22 and Imperial is used to using Lead Acid batteries on their trailers, not lithiums. Now that lithiums are the norm, they haven't upgraded their thinking, or the trailer design. It's also a steep learning curve for them on the solar systems and they are just now beginning to see the light. The X195 has a heating duct in the battery compartment and the batteries are not exposed to outside temps. The X195 also has much more insulation. Unfortunately, Imperial is run by one guy, and that means the trailers reflect his weaknesses, or biases, or limits, or lack of knowledge, no matter how hard he tries or how well intentioned he is. And people are buying trailers who have no knowledge of how the systems work. We end up with imperfect systems, owned by people who don't understand them, and at the same time expect them to perform flawlessly. When there is a problem, the owners often have very little ability to troubleshoot or even describe the problems adequately. Sometimes it is as simple as not understanding the meter they are looking at, or not knowing the batteries must be warm to work.

Raspy

Bad wiring seems to be at the root of underperforming systems much of the time. When talking about "quality" components, I like to think in terms of what people are generally upgrading from and to. The brands people are are upgrading from are the lower quality items to be avoided.
The X22 solar installations on the roof are laughably bad. They lay the wiring right on top of the glued down flexible collectors, they mount the collectors such that part of them is under the tent, and part under the edge of the AC. They actually lay the plumbing vent flange right on top of the collector and caulk it to the top of the collector. One of my collectors was plugged into itself as a dead short, and the other one was wired to the controller. At purchase, I was simply informed that the solar was not keeping up with the fridge, but nobody had bothered to trace the wiring. Before I ordered my X22, I looked at a couple of them and decided to delete the AC and the tent, knowing I could use the tent rack for an unshaded solar rack. I ripped off the flexible panels and threw them away.

SlimPickens

Hey folks, my thoughts,

The gopower system seems really good to me, simple, straightforward, easy to work with, albeit my first foray into solar. The weakness i found for the X22 was not with the gopower system, but the system selection of components for an "off grid" upgrade.

My edition of the X22 came with the off grid upgrade came with dual MC4 roof cap cable plate input with 2 x 10AWG wire output loomed through the trailer roof/wall and into a 30A MPPT controller. My 2 x 190W flex panels were placed cleanly and are not obstructed by anything and slightly convex drivers side (i dropped the roof tent). They measure around 9.3A each with good sun and orientation at the MC4 connectors on the roof and about 5% parallel and cable loss by the time it gets to the controller input. Not a big deal. I like the overall flex panel installations, clean and out of the way, minimal drag and i like the roof access along the passenger side. From what i found (interwebs never lies) the flex panel concept and product gets a bed rap from the renogy version of flex panels which are reported to be suspect in build and material quality, the gopower flex panels, from my limited experience are great build and material quality.

Onto the upgrade package. the controller and solar panels, as previously mentioned, way undersized for the beauty of a battery bank, 4 x 120Ah expions. But, I dont work at Imperial so dont know their business model, marketing strategy and other considerations. If i did work there and had a say, i think the "off grid" package should have deleted the roof tent and added a 60A controller (or a second 30A controller), two more removable 190 flex panels on the roof rack, a second cable plate on the roof and an ic3000. This would have been a great match for the batteries and darn close to keeping up with moderate demands.

So, my experience with gopower, so far, so good. If it ever eats shirt, ill certainly change my tune.

Edit: Raspy, dont suppose the flex panels you threw away was not literal?

Last edited:

Raspy

Hey folks, my thoughts,

The gopower system seems really good to me, simple, straightforward, easy to work with, albeit my first foray into solar. The weakness i found for the X22 was not with the gopower system, but the system selection of components for an "off grid" upgrade.

My edition of the X22 came with the off grid upgrade came with dual MC4 roof cap cable plate input with 2 x 10AWG wire output loomed through the trailer roof/wall and into a 30A MPPT controller. My 2 x 190W flex panels were placed cleanly and are not obstructed by anything and slightly convex drivers side (i dropped the roof tent). They measure around 9.3A each with good sun and orientation at the MC4 connectors on the roof and about 5% parallel and cable loss by the time it gets to the controller input. Not a big deal. I like the overall flex panel installations, clean and out of the way, minimal drag and i like the roof access along the passenger side. From what i found (interwebs never lies) the flex panel concept and product gets a bed rap from the renogy version of flex panels which are reported to be suspect in build and material quality, the gopower flex panels, from my limited experience are great build and material quality.

Onto the upgrade package. the controller and solar panels, as previously mentioned, way undersized for the beauty of a battery bank, 4 x 120Ah expions. But, I dont work at Imperial so dont know their business model, marketing strategy and other considerations. If i did work there and had a say, i think the "off grid" package should have deleted the roof tent and added a 60A controller (or a second 30A controller), two more removable 190 flex panels on the roof rack, a second cable plate on the roof and an ic3000. This would have been a great match for the batteries and darn close to keeping up with moderate demands.

So, my experience with gopower, so far, so good. If it ever eats shirt, ill certainly change my tune.

Edit: Raspy, dont suppose the flex panels you threw away was not literal?
My flex panels were mounted such that they were shaded a bit by the rack, the wiring and the plumbing vent jack. I deleted the AC and the roof tent when I ordered the trailer. I had to be very brutal to get the panels off the roof when I upgraded, so I simply tossed them off the roof. My nephew picked them up and they still worked, so He took them. Otherwise, they would have gone to the dump. My new system has 660 watts, on the tent rack, and is a good match for the 480 AH of lithium. I ran a new wire in conduit down the the controller for 460 watts and ran the existing wires on 200 watts of collectors. Two separate groups of panels wired in parallel. The original 30 amp MPPT solar charger is still used, but I'm right at its limit considering 65% of 660 watts at 14 volts.

SlimPickens

X22 Blues.....

Well, 2nd trip out had some issues.

First, the furnace stopped working, reset furnace switch and pulled breaker, didnt work, blew cold air for 30secs then back into fault mode. Had limited cell service but saw a forum mentioning a similar issue and the "sail" switch. Took the furnace out (quite a chore on round 1) cleaned it up, found the sail switch pretty quick, cleaned it up (micro fiber cloth), put it back in place, tested it, worked, put it back together, worked for about 24 hrs then back to the initial issue.. Second fix, not too interested in pulling the furnace out a third time, pulled the furnace out (much easier round 2) vacuumed and wiped down the entire furnace enclosure, vacuumed and wiped down as much of the furnace itself as i could, grabbed an electrostatic hammock filter and cut a piece to fit then return air register, cut out the 4" duct hole, duct tapped the 4" hole and perimeter, duct tapped the kitchen and bathroom cabinet duct cutouts, didnt even think of the massive gap on the back of the enclosure between the bathroom cabinet and wall of the furnace enclosure until i was nearly done, but tested, it worked, reinstalled, went out for 3rd trip this weekend and have had the furnace running intermittently before that with a space heater and its been going for a few weeks now. Fingers crossed.....

Edit: to clarify, so far so good, furnace working full time since second fix

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven