Imperial Outdoors Xplore XR22

Obsessed2findARuggedHybid

The onboard air compressor, if you care to do a bit of research, is a simple Viar pump. It could not be simpler and is the same pump many carry around with them in their trucks. This one is just already mounted inside. The hydraulic system is also simple and well proven. Perhaps you don't see the value of increasing ground clearance off road, and reducing it for highway use, or when parked. That's OK, I do. Worst case in a failure is the trailer sits at it lowest level, but the suspension still works normally. Again, do a bit of research if you are interested. This is not the same thing found on other vehicles and it does not affect suspension travel. You might do yourself a favor and actually look at some of these things in advance of arguing against them. The suspension is one of the reasons I bought the trailer. I've had conventional leaf springs, swing arms and now this torsion system. This is the simplest and so far the best I've had, by actual experience. Very few frames are galvanized. That is the best corrosion system there is. Xplore uses a high grade of alloy steel and bedliners it. Galvanized frames are excellent, but not perfect as the steel is annealed in the process and welded modifications ruin the galvy in that area. I live in the desert and corrosion of the frame will not be a problem for generations. Further, this frame is massive and is built in a perimeter design that acts as a rock guard and offers jacking points all around the perimeter. It is an innovative design and well made. I deleted the roof tent as I don't like the idea. But the tent frame is very functional for other purposes. If you want to think about a trailer being top heavy, look at a Black Series trailer. They are the definition of top heavy. I agree that the cabinetry is sub par. It sounds to me like you have already decided you don't like Xplore, so don't buy one. Simple as that. I could not care less if you don't like them, but I will defend against false claims that I have already researched. Do your homework or simply admit you have a bias against them. No problem, nobody is trying to force you to like them and they are different than normal trailers, fortunately.

This will be my last post as I am sure xplore owners that are reading are tired of my lame opinions.

Last edited:

Raspy

Unfortunately, it seems Isaac is more talk than action when it comes to deficiencies in the Xplore trailers. Not to justify it in any way, but maybe it should be expected because they are a relatively small company and controlled by one guy, who may be overworked and unable to fully understand the importance of maintaining the company reputation. I am not trying to excuse the problems or downplay them, and possibly understanding them does not make them OK. I've found some things wrong with mine that are unfortunate and they recently had a price increase that brought about no improvements that I know of. It seems each trailer I've had, had problems that were unexpected even thought I looked at each one carefully before buying. Each has had some design innovation that I liked. The Company philosophy also plays into the equation. Oliver is a great company, for instance, and Black Series is not so much. Those two companies seems to be much different than Nelson Industries. All three are innovative. Fortunately, for me, I have the time and ability to do a lot of work on any trailer I buy. And I like doing it. For anyone not in that kind of a position it is very important to look carefully before buying. Very important. The later frustration, from problems one cannot fix themselves is not worth the hassle. And it so often seems that people become experts only after they buy the trailers and see the problems, instead of becoming experts before buying. Do your research! A big part of that research is looking at the dealers. There are some I would absolutely never buy from and some I trust completely.

Another part of the story is intended use. If you want to explore dirt roads in the desert and stay off grid, don't buy an Airstream. If you want to travel the interstates and stay in organized campgrounds, don't buy a teardrop. If you want to take your dirtbikes, look at a toy hauler. If luxury is the main driver, consider a fifth wheel. If you only want to use it once a year, don't buy a new one. If you simply want to keep the rain off your head, or sleep out of the wind, it really doesn't matter what trailer you buy. If you want to go in the winter, look for good insulation and no pipes underneath. If you just want to go camping, but don't want to sleep on the ground, most any trailer will do. If you want all the luxuries of home, with no compromises, then you may want a 35' fifth wheel and a one ton truck to pull it, but you'll never get it to the kind of places that I want to go and you'll be staying at $70. per night RV parks with spaces that look like a parking lot. If you want to build your own, start out with a cargo trailer and build your own interior. If you are on an extreme budget, find an old sticky that your existing vehicle can tow, and get out there in the beautiful wild lands where the scenery is the reward. If you want to travel around the Country, don't worry so much about the luxury as you do about reliable systems and good towing manners. If you want to camp in the desert, look for good ground clearance and sensible plumbing underneath that will not get torn off on a rock. Before you go anywhere with a used trailer, make sure the roof is properly coated, not leaking, the wheel bearings are serviced, it has proper tires and the brakes work. Be sure the batteries are good and you know how to maintain them. Seriously consider lithium batteries. And if you want to be off-grid, get a solar system. A suitcase system is the simplest. A working fridge is a tremendous asset, but a quality Ice chest can work too. Take responsibility for the trailer and the trip. Being mad at your dealer or the factory poisons the experience. You will never have a good time if you are looking for someone to blame for your frustrations or trying to get things fixed on someone else's timeline. Camping is an optional experience. We don't have to do it. It has to be fun, or it's not worth it. Having a trailer means you have your own little cabin on wheels. It opens the door to a whole world of new experiences and the wonders or our beautiful Country. A trailer is unique in that you can stop anywhere and be in your own little home, out of the weather, with no setup. A rest area along the highway, a truck stop, on BLM land, out in the National Forest, a Walmart parking lot, a Cracker Barrel parking lot, or a State Park.

Try to be at least reasonably prepared. Bring some basic hand tools, a volt/ohm meter, polarity tester, tire tools with jack, a tire repair kit, 12 volt compressor and a couple of flashlights. Bring the things needed for comfort, such as enough propane, cookware, comfortable chair, outdoor table, blankets, coffeepot. Bring cases of drinking water, or be sure the water system is in good condition. Check your wheel bearing and tire temperatures at every fuel stop by feeling them with your hand. Don't base the tire condition on the amount of tread, but on the date code. Whenever possible, buy LT tires instead of ST tires. Be sure the trailer you pick is considerably lighter than the maximum towing weight your truck is rated for. Do not push the limits of your tow vehicle, or your safety will be compromized and your time towing will be stressful. It is always better to have more truck that you need.

Unfortunately, it seems Isaac is more talk than action when it comes to deficiencies in the Xplore trailers. Not to justify it in any way, but maybe it should be expected because they are a relatively small company and controlled by one guy, who may be overworked and unable to fully understand the importance of maintaining the company reputation. I am not trying to excuse the problems or downplay them, and possibly understanding them does not make them OK. I've found some things wrong with mine that are unfortunate and they recently had a price increase that brought about no improvements that I know of. It seems each trailer I've had, had problems that were unexpected even thought I looked at each one carefully before buying. Each has had some design innovation that I liked. The Company philosophy also plays into the equation. Oliver is a great company, for instance, and Black Series is not so much. Those two companies seems to be much different than Nelson Industries. All three are innovative. Fortunately, for me, I have the time and ability to do a lot of work on any trailer I buy. And I like doing it. For anyone not in that kind of a position it is very important to look carefully before buying. Very important. The later frustration, from problems one cannot fix themselves is not worth the hassle. And it so often seems that people become experts only after they buy the trailers and see the problems, instead of becoming experts before buying. Do your research! A big part of that research is looking at the dealers. There are some I would absolutely never buy from and some I trust completely.

Another part of the story is intended use. If you want to explore dirt roads in the desert and stay off grid, don't buy an Airstream. If you want to travel the interstates and stay in organized campgrounds, don't buy a teardrop. If you want to take your dirtbikes, look at a toy hauler. If luxury is the main driver, consider a fifth wheel. If you only want to use it once a year, don't buy a new one. If you simply want to keep the rain off your head, or sleep out of the wind, it really doesn't matter what trailer you buy. If you want to go in the winter, look for good insulation and no pipes underneath. If you just want to go camping, but don't want to sleep on the ground, most any trailer will do. If you want all the luxuries of home, with no compromises, then you may want a 35' fifth wheel and a one ton truck to pull it, but you'll never get it to the kind of places that I want to go and you'll be staying at $70. per night RV parks with spaces that look like a parking lot. If you want to build your own, start out with a cargo trailer and build your own interior. If you are on an extreme budget, find an old sticky that your existing vehicle can tow, and get out there in the beautiful wild lands where the scenery is the reward. If you want to travel around the Country, don't worry so much about the luxury as you do about reliable systems and good towing manners. If you want to camp in the desert, look for good ground clearance and sensible plumbing underneath that will not get torn off on a rock. Before you go anywhere with a used trailer, make sure the roof is properly coated, not leaking, the wheel bearings are serviced, it has proper tires and the brakes work. Be sure the batteries are good and you know how to maintain them. Seriously consider lithium batteries. And if you want to be off-grid, get a solar system. A suitcase system is the simplest. A working fridge is a tremendous asset, but a quality Ice chest can work too. Take responsibility for the trailer and the trip. Being mad at your dealer or the factory poisons the experience. You will never have a good time if you are looking for someone to blame for your frustrations or trying to get things fixed on someone else's timeline. Camping is an optional experience. We don't have to do it. It has to be fun, or it's not worth it. Having a trailer means you have your own little cabin on wheels. It opens the door to a whole world of new experiences and the wonders or our beautiful Country. A trailer is unique in that you can stop anywhere and be in your own little home, out of the weather, with no setup. A rest area along the highway, a truck stop, on BLM land, out in the National Forest, a Walmart parking lot, a Cracker Barrel parking lot, or a State Park.

Try to be at least reasonably prepared. Bring some basic hand tools, a volt/ohm meter, polarity tester, tire tools with jack, a tire repair kit, 12 volt compressor and a couple of flashlights. Bring the things needed for comfort, such as enough propane, cookware, comfortable chair, outdoor table, blankets, coffeepot. Bring cases of drinking water, or be sure the water system is in good condition. Check your wheel bearing and tire temperatures at every fuel stop by feeling them with your hand. Don't base the tire condition on the amount of tread, but on the date code. Whenever possible, buy LT tires instead of ST tires. Be sure the trailer you pick is considerably lighter than the maximum towing weight your truck is rated for. Do not push the limits of your tow vehicle, or your safety will be compromized and your time towing will be stressful. It is always better to have more truck that you need.

Hey Folgore sounds like this guy who rebuilt his 65k X22 thinks you should quite bothering Imperial about your silly issues. I assume you are retired and have a full work shop to rebuild your two week old x22. He says he got rid of his ridiculous lock n roll hitch. Maybe he know we're one could buy an alternative.

Hello Folgore,

Curious to how your x22 is doing. Did Imperial come through? Did other owners have the same issues? Looks like they are creeping up to 85k.

I Just spent a few nights in sub zero temps. After a six sport day returned to the Xplore for a baked lasagna dinner, 70 degree inside temp, hot shower, and a few movies in the middle of beautiful mountains. I'm not seeing any other RV's in the places or conditions we like to camp in and for us the Xplore is doing what it is advertised to do.

Attachments

• 20220115_104009.jpg
    20220115_104009.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 72

rockinrobin

Wonderful to hear! My Xplore X22 is due to arrive in 3 weeks. (drum roll) I will be posting the facts and FUN soon after. Has anyone else registered their camper in Montana?

rockinrobin

I Just spent a few nights in sub zero temps. After a six sport day returned to the Xplore for a baked lasagna dinner, 70 degree inside temp, hot shower, and a few movies in the middle of beautiful mountains. I'm not seeing any other RV's in the places or conditions we like to camp in and for us the Xplore is doing what it is advertised to do.
Wonderful to hear! My Xplore X22 is due to arrive in 3 weeks. (drum roll) I will be posting the facts and FUN soon after.

Raspy I have a quick question that you may be able to comment on. A Xplore owner contacted me about there rig having an off gassing solvent smell that will not go away after several months. I know any trailer with solvent or diisocyanate sealants and adhesives will off gas for a month or two but if continues into the 6 plus months I tend to suspect formaldehyde. This is total speculation. Any guess why this is happening? I don't know if others have this problem. Thanks I advance for your thoughts.

rockinrobin

The "new trailer smell" in my X22 is going away after 5 days of ownership. I keep windows open during the day. After 8 hours of being closed up there is still a smell but it has subsided considerably.

The "new trailer smell" in my X22 is going away after 5 days of ownership. I keep windows open during the day. After 8 hours of being closed up there is still a smell but it has subsided considerably.

I believe your experience is the case in most Xplorer s. The owner I am talking about is smelling solvents which I assume is a bit stronger then a new car smell. Just trying to figure out why this specific trailer is having this issue. I suggested they purchase very inexpensive formaldehyde test kits on Amazon, or even a $100 meterand, then shut the windows and heat up the trailer then run tests. Then repeat the process with windows open.

RMJ64

I asked ROA to get the photos of the wheel well bench to kid sized bed mod from Imperial Outdoors. They’re attached for your (and my) inspiration, sounds like ROA won’t have time to get this one done before it ships to us this week.

Hi there,

Like the idea of turning bench to kids bed. Do you know where to get the matching cushion when extended? Trying to the bench diy fashion :)

TBVA

I'm proud owner of a new Xplore X22 with all the bells and whistles. I'm liking it more and more the longer I have it. Very well built. I do have a question for anyone who owns or has own one. The freshwater tank has a screwed in plate covering it. Rock quard, I assume. There is a hole in the bottom with what looks like a plastic film covering it. See pic attached. I'm looking for the drain plug I was told was there, but didn't want to resort to the knive until I was sure. My guess it is part of the plate seal and was just laid out before installing and they never trimmed out the hole. Any feedback?

Attachments

• 20220316_120723.jpg
    20220316_120723.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 47

AKdon

I had the same situation and took off the plate to see what was going on. The plastic is just part of the “bubble wrap” insulation. You can cut it to access the drain plug.

Raspy

In case any of you are interested, there is a nice Facebook site for the Xplore trailers. Xplore 22 Trailer Community. Come on over and say hi. Lots of excellent upgrade information.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven