Improving interior storage/organization on 98 xcab

alexh

Hi,

New member here, I also got tired of that "other" forum.

As I said, I have a 98 Xcab. When I go on trips with the wife, storage of all the "on the go" essentials like water bottles, snacks etc. can get a little difficult. There is basically not much room in the front and in the rear things tend to want to go under the seat and it's dangerous trying to reach around back there while driving. Of course small travel bags or backpacks work but you can never have too much storage capacity!

For example, I noticed that some trucks have a cargo type net draped across the back of the xcab just below the window. It looks like the newer trucks came with this (not sure) but if anyone has retrofitted an Xcab with something like this I'd like to hear about it. This seems like an ideal solution as I never lower the back seat cushions. In fact I think they are stuck in the upright position:D

I also recall when the 2001+? came out they got a bigger center console and many people upgraded theirs to that model (apparently it's a direct bolt in). I know the cup holders on mine are useless. Not sure if this is a good bang for the buck though even with the discount mail order part dealers.

Thanks,

-Alex

snipecatcher

Adventurer
hey

One thing I've considered doing is cutting out the driver side rear seat area (the sheet metal under the fold down seat) and putting in some kind of storage box there. I sometimes have a 3rd person, but never 4, so I figure I'll be OK with 3 seats. It would be nearly free to do, but hard to make look good, so I'm just dreaming right now. Not sure if anyone has done something similar, if so I would like to know. Right now all of my junk (spotlight, axe, first aid, blanket) is just sitting behind the driver seat, but it would be nice to get it somewhat organized, which I'm sure is the same situation you are in.
-Dan

Terracoma

Adventurer
I, too, was wondering about the OEM-style nets. I believe they were options for the double-cab trucks, but I'm not sure of how they're mounted...

Link to a net for the 4Runner: ---> 4Runner Cargo Net (eBay)

However, I've been meaning to buy one of these and modify it to hang over the back side of the passenger seat, rather than hanging over the front as it was intended:

cb70-2.jpg
cb70-1.jpg

Should be a handy place to hold a large flashlight, amongst the other assorting things you regularly carry in-cab.

Link to the seat organizer: ---> Soft-Sided Seat Organizer

alexh

Gary,

That organizer is an excellent idea!

I'm going to look into attaching it to the rear of the xcab. I might be able to use the rear seatback. Even if the seatback is not tall enough, I could make a piece of hardboard or similar to extend it by attaching straps to the hardboard and then the seat back and then strap the organizer to the hardboard.

Thanks for posting.

CYi5

Explorer
Scott said he had some on order so i'm waiting to see how those smitty's fit on tacoma seats.

nastynate

I've been on a re-organization kick for the excab as well. I had previously used a rubbermaid heavy duty bin, but it just rolled around everywhere.

I've recently tried out one of these:
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=333695

I mounted it on the back/head rest. It works "ok", but it's still not what I really want. The pockets aren't big enough and anything larger than a roll of TP doesn't really fit.

Soft tool bags seem to work the best, but things tend to get lost inside them.

Terracoma

Adventurer
The SmittyBilt seat covers rock! My only concern is that they won't quite attach to our headrests and won't support the loaded weight of the seat covers... But if someone were to successfully adapt them to the Tacoma seats, I would buy a set in a heartbeat.

I came across these a while back too:

Linky, linky ---> Glove Box and Dash Netz, Console and Door Netz

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven