In my humble opinion, less is more! Anyone else agree?

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Grecy

Out of interest how much of that list did you finish the trip with, and did you need anything along the way.

Because I took so little I used pretty much everything. Obviously not all the spares or tools, but you gotta have 'em.
The guitar was a waste as I hardly used it, then it got stolen in Mexico.
The tripod broke, so I threw it out in Peru. I will take one again, it's worth it for my photography hobby.
My hiking boots wore out, but I bought another pair.
My tent wore out, but I got another one.

I didn't buy anything "major", nor did I leave anything behind.

-Dan

haven

Expedition Leader
More people = more stuff
children = 10x more stuff
longer trip = more stuff (sleeping on the ground gets old after a couple of weeks)
cold and/or rain = more stuff
you get older= more stuff

olly hondro

mad scientist
Contrary opinion here. While "camping" at the 8500 ft altitude in Arizona, I rolled out of my comfy queen bed, donned my bathrobe and slippers, wandered up to the drivers seat to look out the window. I see a fellow camper crouched at the campground water spigot, in the cold, filling a pot with water so get can heat it up over one of those stove-screwed- to- a- propane canister things and then prepare some instant coffee. I stretch and yawn while reaching over to press the button on the Mr Coffee maker and think " It sucks to be you ." Yeah, like others here, I started that way : sleeping on the ground, then in the bed of a pick up truck, then same pickup with a topper.....naah, I'll not go back to simple again.

Eric06Rubi

Observer
Contrary opinion here. While "camping" at the 8500 ft altitude in Arizona, I rolled out of my comfy queen bed, donned my bathrobe and slippers, wandered up to the drivers seat to look out the window. I see a fellow camper crouched at the campground water spigot, in the cold, filling a pot with water so get can heat it up over one of those stove-screwed- to- a- propane canister things and then prepare some instant coffee. I stretch and yawn while reaching over to press the button on the Mr Coffee maker and think " It sucks to be you ." Yeah, like others here, I started that way : sleeping on the ground, then in the bed of a pick up truck, then same pickup with a topper.....naah, I'll not go back to simple again.

WELL SAID..... AGREE 100%

edit----Alas, I might even offer the guy in the tent a hot fresh cup-o-joe
while he waits for his water to heat up

Last edited:

The Wanderer

Observer
More people = more stuff
children = 10x more stuff
longer trip = more stuff (sleeping on the ground gets old after a couple of weeks)

I would only disagree with the last one. The older I get (well over 60), the less I want to carry, protect, clean, move, tie down and store.

I find that it gives me more time to do what I want to do.

Just me though.

robert

Expedition Leader
Depends on what kind of mood I'm in, where I'm going, etc. I've done everything from living out of my backpack for a month, living off of various motorcycles for up to a month, living out of my Tacomas for a month (I'm on my second one), living out of my VW Westy for several months, etc. If I had the money I'd probably upgrade to either a bigger truck with more bed space and a slide in camper or a full sized van converted to a camper.

xjaugie

Adventurer
A motto, I 've come to use over the years - "It ain't the one with the most toys that wins, it's the one who plays the most."

For example, I have never had any taxerdermy work done on any of the deer or waterfowl I've taken over the years, I see the money going to better use going on another trip and not hanging on the wall. I do take lots of photos to preserve the memories. My 0.02

NothingClever

Explorer
Me: Touring bicycle + tent
Me: Motorcycle + tent
Me: Backpack + tent
Me, Mom, Daughter & Dog: Truck Camper

I think you hit the nail on the head when you said your solution is great for a single man's "contract bum" lifestyle.

For me, I have ambitions about opportunities for my family. My wife picked out a great solution to provide us the comforts of home after, say, a long hike in the Rocky Mountains, a day at the Wooden Boat Festival or "winter" camping in Florida.

To go back to an uninsulated box van after an eventful day and poop in a bucket under the romantic glow of an LED headlamp or even a Primus lantern would sorta, well, stink. Add some rain drumming down on the roof to create a deafening din and it would be pure folly for my extended family vacation.

Nonetheless, I'm sincerely glad your solution works for you.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society

I would only disagree with the last one. The older I get (well over 60), the less I want to carry, protect, clean, move, tie down and store.

I find that it gives me more time to do what I want to do.

Just me though.
That is largely depentent upon health.

My first cross-country trip was solo by motorcycle. A couple of spare clothing items, a jacket, a cheap rainsuit, and a pair of military surplus bags --- $600 in my pocket and no credit cards.
I slept in a few motels, on a few picnic tables, at a few relatives' houses. Came home with over $200 in my pocket still.

My last roadtrip was different. A glampy 6'X10' teardrop pulled by a newish Power Wagon, wife, dog, stainless steel cookware, ARB fridge, memory foam mattress...
I'm just glad to be alive to be able to still do this. Had a few heart attacks and cancer. I'm fine with a little relative luxury and don't apologize for it.
And I'm fine with people who like to roll around on the ground and sleep in the dirt. I have a couple of friends that cook most of their meals in the fire in foil and eat with their fingers.
To each their own...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk