In my humble opinion, less is more! Anyone else agree?

grogie

Like to Camp
After seeing the Adventure Trailers Habitat and Ursa Minor J30 for the Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, I bought a new Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon. Now I can get further off the beater path and explore more (I enjoy 4 wheeling anyway), and plan to order a J30 top. There is nothing fancy about the top, just room to sleep two on the roof. Eventually I'll probably run a dual battery setup, 12v fridge and stuff but don't expect to get too crazy with on board water systems and water heaters.

That sounds like an awesome setup. If I didn't have an affair going with my TJ, I'd want a four-door JK with a top like that. That would be nice!

Anyway, my wife and I use to drive out west to camp in the Rockies with whatever fit in the back of our Jeep TJ. Talk about minimalistic camping! This year I added an off-road box trailer and took it to the Michigan U.P. for the first time last September. Wow, camping was so much more comfortable with the added space for additional gear. There were some things that I can see leaving at home just to keep things simple, but still, in my case more was better.

27cr.jpg

D

Deleted member 9101

I know that this site is about big bad huge customs, but I would like to suggest that the simpler, smaller, less complicated we make our vehicles and travels the better life can be.

Being small and less complicated is not a bad thing in my views.

But, each to his own...

Peace

I couldn't agree more, hence why my camping machine is a 2004 Honda 919. If it doesn't fit on the bike, it ain't going...lol.

bdog1

Adventurer
It's a constant change thing too. I went truck, Jeep and now van. It's nice to have everything in one vehicle no towing. Nice to access the back while driving or just crash in the back in bad weather. Probably still haul too much junk though, it's a work in progress, but it's getting used regularly!

Sent by wing, prayer & ATT

Dawgboy

Adventurer
That's the key right there... If you use it, keep it/improve it, if you don't use it pitch it back into storage, dumpster it, sell it.

Brought to you by Cyberdyne Systems

Mundo4x4Casa

West slope, N. Ser. Nev.
It's all relative. IMHO. I know that sounds awfully patronizing, but it's true. Every one of us stands in front of our own experience. "Less is more" is a loaded theory. The most important and immutable factor on what 'less' is, is age: your age. I believe most on here started out hiking, biking, backpacking, car camping, four wheel driving, and moved inexorably toward more comfort and convenience as the decades rolled on. Legions fell by the wayside, stopping at simple car camping, once a year for a few days, or doing that 10 day backpack along the Muir Trail as the pinnacle of their outdoor, adventure travel experience. But you, yes you, kept plugging away following your star to the next form of remote area transit to explore the next great beyond. You are the true loyalist who will trade a little comfort for adventure any day. All those other people are just fooling themselves that they are "expedition campers". But, when you hear in your head, "I don't want to lay on the ground and let the bugs crawl on me any more", you have reached another age-related plateau. I started out a bachelor with a 1949 Willys Ute Wagon with a big 'ol Chevy V8. Got married and wife promptly died on me. Got married once again and added a 1966 FJ-40 ragtop with a plywood hinged bed arrangement for two. A two-camping car family. Then the kids started appearing. Add a jeep trailer to the mix to haul all that stuff you need with kids. On to a 1970 FJ-55 with a snap-on sailcloth boot tent enough room for 2 adults, and 2 kids. Here in the Vizciano desert in Baja with broken trailer springs (moyes)

Then on to a 1980 IH Scout Traveller turbo diesel. Plenty of room. Then a 1982 Jeep Scrambler (CJ8) that eventually turned into a bonafide rock crawler.

The kids are now gone and on their own. We are in stage two: out of the house and out of our pocket. In order to haul my dedicated rock crawler around, I bought a new 2001 Dodge CTD-HO 2500 4WD to tow a 14' car trailer with the CJ8 on. Then in order to not sleep on the ground (tents are now history) at the trailhead bought a small Lance Lite hardside camper.

Along the way too, were three XJ's, and our current 2011 Grand Cherokee. We have now peaked and have shed most of the 4WD's retaining only a few jeeps and the p.u./lance.

I have spent a lot of time getting the Dodge/Lance in EXPO shape for our bucket trip next year: a circumnavigation of the lower 48, counterclockwise, traveling thru all the boundary states in a 4 month tour, September 1st to January 1st. For my age, I would consider the Dodge/Lance TC pretty minimal. No AC. small tanks. minimum insulation. Still, I would not flinch at being reasonably comfortable in a year long trip to somewhere. Which reminds me of the other variable. How long are you out away from civilization? The longer you are out, the more comfort you need. Trust me, a six month winter in Siberia would not be a good thing in a VW bug and a pop tent. (our neighbors, the Wescott's found out about Winter in Siberia in a rag top 4 Wheel Camper, that they no longer have) We have used the Lance maybe 200 nights in the ten years we've owned it and I know this will be the last stop on the age-related calendar of expedition-type rigs for us. We've traveled about 2 million miles in some kind of four wheel drive since 1965 and seen a greater part of the Western U.S.,Western Canada, Baja California, and Alaska.
Our time has come and almost gone. We're good with that.
Could we live with a compact Synchro or a big Euro style expo rig? Absolutely, except the price tag. It's too late.
The bottom line is, "run whatcha brung" and enjoy. Where you draw the line on "less is more" is your own business.
regards, as always, jefe
elder of the tribe.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
That Landcruiser shot brought back memories of quite a few Baja runs in my friends Cruiser. Manual steering,no A/C, gutless but pretty reliable aside from two occasions where I had to tow it back to the states with my '64 F-250. It ate ballast resistors. His girlfriend sewed up some bugscreen covers for the windows to keep flies and such out of the truck when poking around down there. Attached them with Velcro.
I had an '85 Toyota 4x4 truck for four years. When loaded up I think it had a whopping 1" of spring travel. Never left me stranded though and delivered good fuel economy. We were tent camping back then and I don't miss it.

Mundo4x4Casa

West slope, N. Ser. Nev.
RCGuy,
Yes, you and I have travelled many separate routes together. Even with the stiff suspension, the '85 Toy P.U. was the pinnacle of Toyota madness as it had all-leaf, sprung-over and the only year where the SOA and F.I. collided. Bullet proof. Now, all the kids are trying to emulate that suspension and ditch the I. F. S.
When we were young, it was all 'less', we had a very high threshold to discomfort, so lack of power steering, or flies crawling all over you (like we had at the beach at San Quentin) are not a problem. What is that age group called now? The Invinceables?
I put Saginaw PS on the '70 FJ55 along with a rear Power Lok, a Chevy 307 V-8, 30% Hone Overdrive, a 53 gallon gas tank and 4 jeep cans, a winch and the all important tomba burro, which served as a rack to get the trailer (sans attached axle) back to Guerro Negro for repairs. The local 'moyes' guy worked all day refashioning the springs taking leaves off some old Chevy p.u. carcass. The bill was $8, US.
That trip started out all wrong. There were supposed to be two rigs to carry 5 full-size adults. Well, one bailed on the rig but came anyway. So we had 5 guys and all their stuff, pulling the little ConFerr Toyota jeep trailer with supplies. I knew we were overloaded from the get go, but the rig was very reliable and we were on an adventure of a lifetime going to the holy grail of destinations: The beach at Malarimo. Loosely translated it means 'bad to get to'. The flotsam/jetsam capitol of the planet. If it floats, it will eventually wind up here. You travel over 150 miles of sandy (even over some dunes) and rocky two-track across the driest place i've been to: The Visciano Desert. Some years it gets no rain at all. As you can see in the pic, nothing grows more than a few inches high. After passing Rancho San Jose del Castro, about halfway there, you could see where time had stopped two centuries ago and the mode of transit was horse or mule back. No electricity. A water well and a bucket. We were going to buy some gas there (with a 73 gallon capacity it wasn't really necessary) but took one look at the water and dirt infiltrated gas hand cranked from a 55 gal. drum and said, "Muchas Gracias, pero no."

Last edited:
I feel like the point is generally missed. More, less, who cares. It's about making the most out of the time you have. Just when you think you have everything figured out, along comes a guy in sandals and a walmart backpack having the time of his life, or just when you think you have gotten rid of all your unneeded gear, along comes a guy geared to the hills and looking comfy and happy as hell. Best thing you can take along on any trip is an open heart and mind. Don't get me wrong, I'm as much of a gear whore as the rest of you but I've traveled the world under so many different circumstances that I can say for sure that the gear won't make the trip but a bad attitude will ruin it in a hurry. Sounds like some hippy BS I'm sure but its pure fact, where everything else is just speculation.

Tappet

Observer
I feel like the point is generally missed. More, less, who cares. It's about making the most out of the time you have. Just when you think you have everything figured out, along comes a guy in sandals and a walmart backpack having the time of his life, or just when you think you have gotten rid of all your unneeded gear, along comes a guy geared to the hills and looking comfy and happy as hell. Best thing you can take along on any trip is an open heart and mind. Don't get me wrong, I'm as much of a gear whore as the rest of you but I've traveled the world under so many different circumstances that I can say for sure that the gear won't make the trip but a bad attitude will ruin it in a hurry. Sounds like some hippy BS I'm sure but its pure fact, where everything else is just speculation.

You've hit the nail on the head!

Done trips where I have never been more prepared and others where I took off with hardly anything but the best of all where I just felt great about what I was doing. I know exactly where your coming from.

arlon

Adventurer
Older I get the less I find myself attracted to "stuff". I used to like building things, now I'm feeling a sense of urgency and just want to use them. I don't like complicated things. I love the old AWD van and a simple sleeping platform. I have a propane stove, a 5 gallon bucket and an ice chest. Don't need much else. A camel back and some decent hiking shoes rounds out the accessories. I can cover more of the US with this rig than I'll have time for.

medium.jpg

Yuman Desert Rat

Expedition Leader
I think it all depends on where you are in life, who you're with, where you're going and what you're planning on doing. I typically go it solo when I wander off into the great outdoors. I've done everything from primitive survivalist camping to week long vehicle based camping in austere locations. My weakness in life is cool gadgets (that are functional, of course) and customizing things to reflect my needs, taste and creativity quirks. I will be the first to say my setup is beyond overkill but I enjoy it, thoroughly. can I do without all of it? Of course! However, I choose not to, because I can. I have enjoyed reading everyone's responses to the OP and everyone's answer/respone is right for them and their particular circumstance(s). I look forward to seeing more opinions on this post.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk